FireFox 1.0 sucks

WhiteZero said:
False.
I downloded a Mouse Gesture plug-in for IE awhile ago.
:rolling:

BHO's are different though, and with IE they're almost always viruses/trojans/spyware crud

Whoa whoa whoa, settle down now..

First of all, you are all wrong and you are all right.

First the IE guys. Ok, if IE is enough for you, fine. But there is a better browser and if you are interested in a faster more efficient browsing experience, you should try it out. I don't know why you hate tabbed browsing. As others have said, you just hit ctr+tab instead of alt+tab. It's actually better with tabbed browsing because it doesn't hog your toolbar with all those windows.

For the firefox guys. You are also on an inferior browser. Yes, that's right, you are. I'm sorry, but firefox ain't that hot. You can get plugins to make IE just like firefox, and firefox is not more secure. In many cases, IE is even faster. So the only real upgrade here is that it's not heavily targetted yet for malicious reasons, but it has had security patches like any other software has. It's not invulnerable.

The real browser to use is Opera. You don't need plugins, because it already does it all. Block popups, tabbed browsing, save login info for all the sites you visit, check all your email accounts at once, chat in IRC, etc etc etc. Man the list goes on, and this is all native to the application, no plugins necessary. Accidentally close a window? You can reopen it with a keystroke. Want to load a group of websites at once? You can do that. Mouse gestures makes browsing much faster and they are easy to use.

Yes, you can get plugins in other browsers to do some of this. But why download software that requires you to keep downloading more and more software to add on to it just so it can be as good as one single file you need to download?

http://www.opera.com

Successfully converting one user at a time.

Firefox is fine. IE gave me errors left and right, and while that was probably a result of my ineptitude on a computer, no such error on FF. I've used it since... 0.7 I think, and no version has given me anything to complain about. There is this thing with the download window opening when I try to save a picture, but it only happens when I have like 50 tabs open on a site like 4chan :D I couldn't even do that on IE. Also, it crashed a couple times recently, and I've heard of people having their bookmarks deleted randomly, but hopefully those issues will be stamped out in future releases. Until then I'm just gonna back up my bookmarks every now and again, which is as simple as copying an htm file.

And on top of all that, 1.0 has a quick search bar, which includes sites like Google, Yahoo, and most important of all, dictionary.com :D I just used it before to look up ineptity... which I'm sure you're aware isn't a word, which is why it's been corrected ;)

SkylineGT-R34 said:
No spyware here, I have Ad-Aware Pro, Spyboy, Spyware Blaster and they all do their job fantastically, sure as hell alot better then FF could ever do.
FF creates alot more problems then fixes them.

You need those programs BECAUSE you use IE. I use firefox and yesterday i did my first full spyware scan for 3 months using spyware blaster, ad-aware and hijack this. Only spyware blaster and ad aware found a mere 3 tracking cookies. I have now got rid of spyware blaster and hi jack this as i doubt i will need them...

[Matt] said:
You need those programs BECAUSE you use IE. I use firefox and yesterday i did my first full spyware scan for 3 months using spyware blaster, ad-aware and hijack this. Only spyware blaster and ad aware found a mere 3 tracking cookies. I have now got rid of spyware blaster and hi jack this as i doubt i will need them...

Yep, I never run Ad-aware scans these days because I know they won't find anything.

And why would we go to the FF forums and look at the people who have problems? There are MANY more people for whom FF works just perfectly than there are people for whom it doesn't work. And I can bet, that Ie has crashed on you.

Every window (My computer, control panel etc.) is in one way or another IE. And to say that it never ever has crashed, is like saying you've never eaten meat in your life.

Only thing being found on mine now are the odd cookie, most of which I allow.. FF is brilliant, tons of features, pretty much every one of them I would be on IE before now thinking "why can't they add this or do that?" FF has em. Works really well. I like it.

I downloaded FF few weeks ago and I love it! The ctrl + f thing is much better than in IE. And FF has never crashed in my use. IE had recently some serious security problems... i'm talking about the Iframe vulnerability... I don't care if IE is 0,0001 ms faster than FF I am more considered about my computer's security. Damn I hate those crackers...

I used Opera in it's early stages, and didn't like it back then. I have been using Firefox for a while now, and have gotten used to it. The only thing that irritates me is that it has a few problems with some sites running Java, so I still need to use IE every now and then for Gambling and online payments etc.

DiSTuRbEd said:
You know, how about you quit being such an ass to other members? He put out facts to back up his statements and all you can do is call him a fanboy. Blahblahblahblah wins, you lose. Firefox owns now that I am used to it.

My thoughts exactly. Blahblahblahblah states his opinion backing it up with facts, only to be told that he's "trolling fanboy". Sorry, but if you actually made any other points other than "Firefox sucks IE is better" or "look at the message boards lots of people are having problems!", people may listen. If you found some message boards about Internet Explorer I'm sure there'd be tonnes of shite there too. But if you prefer Internet Explorer fine, theres no need to just go on a little tantrum and start talking out of your arse. What the hell does arguing over it help anyway? Nobody's forcing you to use Firefox.

you`re right about ff being slow, but in no way IE is more reliable.
Anyways, there is also Opera, the fastest browser on earth :)

SkylineGT-R34 said:
Lets start off that I dont favor either browers wether its IE or FF, but after I installed FF and uninstalled IE, and used FF for few hours I came to a conclusions that FF really sucks, its slow, it hogs memory, the features are lame, not real control over nothing .. while IE does everything I need and does it alot better then FF ever did, its faster, more reliable and takes up only 30mb with about 6 windows open.
The bottom line I think FF is overrated overhyped pile of crap, IE is best for Windows till something better comes out, and FF sure as hell aint better.

Really? You figured out all those bad things about FF in "a few hours"?

Speed: How so? Have you timed it?
Memory: You do realize that IE uses tons of RAM that is categorized as being in use by Windows. You can't compare the memory run by Firefox.exe to iexplorer.exe and get a fair picture.
Lame features: Example?
"not real control over nothing": Have no idea what you're saying here.

Now, whether IE does everything you need or not, that's a personal preference and doesn't really mean FF is bad or good. Just means that IE has the features you need. FF has many features I like that IE simply doesn't: integrated searching, tabs, security, easy maintenance and great bookmark management to name a few.

Is firefox perfect? Nope. But it has features and advantages that IE simply doesn't.

First, you're not under the MS thumb regarding security patches and upgrades. Firefox has been very secure with only a couple serious security problems popping up, which were fixed quickly (faster than IE, which had the same flaw in one case).

Second, it is cross platform. You can run the same browser on mac, linux or Windows.

Third, Tabbed browsing. Honestly, I don't know how anyone get get along without tabs when they browse the web.

Fourth, STANDARDS!!! FF adheres very, very closely to published standards for HTML and CSS. I know this is a foreign concept to many but it is very important in the big picture. MS is notorious for trying to create defacto standards that, in the end, ties you to MS products. Firefox is currently the one challenger out there that is helping to keep standards in check.

And, frankly, I get tired of having MS cram all their software down my throat. So, out of general principle, I want an alternative to IE and OE. Firefox and Thunderbird are great alternatives.

Now, after saying all that, I guess I wonder why you bothered posting? When I made the switch from IE to FF (well, really it was from IE to Mozilla then to FF) I didn't go around bad mouthing IE even though I had used it for years, not hours.

I know this thread is almost dead, but I'm giving it CPR.

*Pounds on the thread's chest*

There it is back to life. :)

Anyways, another great feature of Firefox is how it does searching within a web page. It simply is one of the best and most innovating features I have ever used. Try it, you will be amazed at how simple and non-frustrated it is to use. Compare that to IE.

I also have a nifty little extension that allows me to make duplicate taps. Besides making duplicate tabs, this extension allows me to merge multiple firefox windows open. Instead of having 2 instances of firefox running (at the time I need 2 instances open) I can merge them in to open with the click of a button. Now, I have more free task bar room which I can use to multi-task better (and sadly open up more things to research). I love that feature because it allows me to consolidate webpages without closing them (because I will need them again shortly). If I was using IE, I literally would have 22 bars in my task bar area. Now that is impossible to multitask with.

Firefox all the way. \:D/

i have a feeling that 90% of the people that are recomending FF have never tried Opera, and definatly haven't learned all its shortcuts and features.

Jmechy said:
i have a feeling that 90% of the people that are recomending FF have never tried Opera, and definatly haven't learned all its shortcuts and features.

You like green apples, I like red apples. :E

The important thing is that there are better options than IE. The productivity I've gained from switching browsers is absolutely mind boggling. With that said, I may try Opera one of these days when I have some time.

Jmechy said:

Or, rather, they don't want to spend $39 for a browser when FF is free.

I only switched from Opera to Firefox because I liked the extensions and it worked with GMail... though I had to sacrifice a little bit of quality in the mouse gesture department (the built-in gesture support in Opera is much better than the gesture extensions for FF). Something else that might turn a lot of people off of Opera is the fact that you either pay for it or you get a big ad banner on the toolbar area. Opera may be a more polished/optimized product but it isn't free (assuming you don't like ads) and it isn't quite as flexible as Firefox.

Skyline, you cannot uninstall IE, as IE is just Windows Explorer, which Windows uses for browsiing folders and such.

Oh, and another thing. A big security issue with IE is that, if somehow a hacker got control of your PC through IE, he would have access to ALL OF YOUR FILES, as IE is Windows Explorer. FireFox is a seperate application that isn't running every second during your computer use. Check your processes, you'll see IE is up and running all the time, even when you're not browsing sites.

Malfunction said:
Skyline, you cannot uninstall IE, as IE is just Windows Explorer, which Windows uses for browsiing folders and such.

Oh, and another thing. A big security issue with IE is that, if somehow a hacker got control of your PC through IE, he would have access to ALL OF YOUR FILES, as IE is Windows Explorer. FireFox is a seperate application that isn't running every second during your computer use. Check your processes, you'll see IE is up and running all the time, even when you're not browsing sites.

That's not quite true. iexplorer.exe isn't up and running at all times. Your general point about their integration and thus hightend security risk is correct, but iexplorer.exe doesn't run when you close IE.

Firefox does not hog my system..
I love the tons of extentions and themes. Something IE never gave me. IE is ok but its crap at the same time. Opera or Firefox. Both great browsers.

Hell IE stole firefoxes idea for the pop-up blocker. Uses the same style.

I switched from Opera to Firefox.
IE sucked so I went to opera. Opera had ads so I got a crack. Opera was great to, I loved it. One of the best. I went to firefox for the plugins, the skinability, and all in all it offered technically the same features in the long run. I love Firefox! IE has been outdated for a while. If you think Firefox sucks and you can't even give 5 basic reasons, then you. You are been blinded by microsofts bullshit. Don't get me wrong microsoft isn't all bad. I'll stand up for Xp anytime. But when your saying IE is better than firefox.... well then you have something up your ass.

OCybrManO said:
I only switched from Opera to Firefox because I liked the extensions and it worked with GMail... though I had to sacrifice a little bit of quality in the mouse gesture department (the built-in gesture support in Opera is much better than the gesture extensions for FF). Something else that might turn a lot of people off of Opera is the fact that you either pay for it or you get a big ad banner on the toolbar area. Opera may be a more polished/optimized product but it isn't free (assuming you don't like ads) and it isn't quite as flexible as Firefox.

Opera can check your gmail email without you actually going to their website, and the newer version not yet released will support websites like gmail. The ad banner is not big, your resolution must be low... And it's just an ad to buy Opera, nothing you'd even notice.

Malfunction said:

Actually, you can uninstall IE, I believe sp1 allowed that. You also don't even need the explorer shell at all, I don't run it. I use litestep. The only thing microsoft about my system is windows, everything else is 3rd party. You can even replace the file manager with a 3rd party prog.

Just switched from IE to firefox. I like the look of firefox (a refreshing change from IE's interface) and that you can make extensions and skins and it's more secure.

While Opera certainly has more features, I actually prefer Firefox to it. Why? I just like to keep it simple. All I need is the tabbed browsing, pop-up, and security, and thats all I want.
Opera is a hell of a program, but I don't need to use it for IRC, email, or anything else since I already have my own prefered programs for that.

i dont think firefox 1.0 sucks, probably beccause i just got it.

also i get no pop ups through firefox un like ie :angry:

Just got firefox yesterday and noticed TABBED BROWSING didn't even know that feature existed until I looked in their faqs. Wow, never going back to that crappy IE

Back