First assignment for maya class: Fictional Futuristic gun

Shinobi

Tank
Reaction score
we we're only susposed to model the gun,, but I decided to go one further and mesh/skin it

the biggest difference with this model from my last 2 is I'm now doing this a lot more organized,, this gun has something like 10 layers, which made it way easier to mesh,, this is the first model I've made where I've started to get into the world of sewing UV's,,

anyways here it is,, I also have a version with no smoothing that is more like 1800 triangles

maya1.jpg

I'll post the reference pic when I get on a computer that has it,, aparently it's from a maya learning book,, but my teacher just took the picture and rewrote the tutorial

its a nice model, and i like the details on the main gun, but that handle looks kinda poorly modeled. the shine coming off it from the light seems distorted, kinda showing its not a regular shape. maybe a wireframe would clear it up, but keep on it. so what course are you doing, more game design or 3d design orientated ??

sorry, what I meant by tutorial was lecture,, I can't really post it unless I video tape my teacher showing us :D

and the program I'm taking is both game design and art intensive,, programming is definatly the part we don't focus on as much,, but we do go as far as learnign how to program shaders, so it's not like we're just doing "hello world's" :D

also as for the handle, I agree, the shading looks screwed up,, I tried softning/hardning the normals (sometimes that fixes it for me) but that didn't work,, I'm guessing it's a classic case of bad modelling or something,, I'll ask my teacher, and post a wireframe when I get home

i'd say that the smoothing groups needs some work, but other than that, nice :)

k my teacher explained to me how maya handels smoothing groups,, aparently I was doing the right thing softingin/hardning normals, but I have to do it from edge sub-object mode,, I'll post new pics when I fix the model

oh, also jsut notice the triangl count you have there..... there is no way that should be that many tris.....

can we see a wire?

Pretty nice, well done. I agree with what was said about the handle though. What college do you go to by the way? Cos we didn't have the option to do anything like that at mine :(.
/considers leaving
Lol.

SidewinderX143 said:
oh, also jsut notice the triangl count you have there..... there is no way that should be that many tris.....

can we see a wire?

you're right, the triangle count is high,, the gun is actually more like 1100 triangles,, but before I rendered I ran maya's poly smooth funtion which upped the poly count substancially... I'll post the orginal model flat shaded and wireframe when I get on my personal account (I'm in different computer lab right now)

!!!

for a second there I was like, "it they have all the tutorials online, why did I spend all that money on the mesmer books??"

then I realised it's only a couple tutorials from the book

btw: maya illuminated games is the best maya book I've seen so far

I'm having a look at some here, think I may give a couple a go :)

Pendragon said:
Have you seen the official Alias|Wavefront books, like Learning 5|Foundation? Those are excellent, as far as I can tell. As to the tutorial, I take it that's the one?

that is definately the one :D, but our teacher just took the pic and redid the tutorial because he didn't think it was that great..

I've have the alia|wavefront book called "the art of maya" but it's more of a fancy coffee table book than a actual book with function,, it shows all of maya's major features in 2 page spreads with really nice pictures but doesn't really go in depth on how to use maya

Back