First Halo 2 topic

Absinthe

The Freeman
Reaction score
I win.

Well, just so this thread isn't completely useless... How well do you think Halo 2 stacks up against the original Halo? Please take in mind the contexts in which both games were released.

I'm glad there won't be anymore "OMG HALO2 OWNS HL2" or HL2 KICKS H2 AZZORZ" topics clogging up my general games anymore.

I could have created the first one, but I mananged to resist. Anyway, Third post in the forum. :D

Nice place this \o/

I think we all need to play Halo 2 for a few more days/weeks before making comparisons. Personally i'm loving H2 in single, multiplayer and co-op :)

It hasn't blown me away like the first - which is understandable (and common with most sequals). Being very similar to the original, the setting is familiar and most of the skills needed to beat the game have already been learnt. It's just more of the same (which is what I wanted :))

Halo 2 is Halo without the 'wow' factor.

(It's also the best fps i've played this year in single and multiplayer. Live is excellent, co-op is as sublime as it ever was and Legendary is even harder than before /o\ - which is just crazy :))

Halo is nothing compared to this. For me, Halo 2's been refined to a point where everything is fun - it all feels perfectly polished, and improves on so much of what Halo fell short on.

Im gonna play some 2plyr co-op with my friend tomarrow, but so far it looks cool, and if i had a box, im sure i would own it and enjoy it

the trouble with consoles is that its hard to improve anything but the gameplay and story. console limitations mean the game will allways feel like an expansion pack... but to hear this much praise about a sequal must be good. i cant wait till i get it for christmas.

Suicide42 said:
the trouble with consoles is that its hard to improve anything but the gameplay and story. console limitations mean the game will allways feel like an expansion pack... but to hear this much praise about a sequal must be good. i cant wait till i get it for christmas.

That can be a good thing. Gameplay is after all the most important part of a video game ... the more time spent on that the better :)

If you liked the original you'll like this too :)

For this version, Halo 2 stacks up in its own style.

It feels like Halo, but a little more, and also, a little less. For example, some of the weapons are okay, but they dont feel or behave correctly. If your pegging someone in the head with one submachinegun, your luck on killing them is much better then it would've been with dual wielding.

Im glad they did'nt noobify this feature, but it does'nt make sense when your Bullet spread and damage rate is apparently the same, but makes up for no remark when dual wielding.

The vehicles were much better this time around, and im certain this Halo 2 will be an excellent jump for more varied multiplayer. When you're shooting someone, it does'nt feel as solid.

With the original Halo, you could almost be certain you were causing someone a lot of ill.

In this one, the not looking for a bunch of health is a good thing--players can just hop right into Combat, and I like that.

The Singleplayer campaign does'nt feel like Halo at all, but my big aim was for Multiplayer anyway, so I have no gripes.

I have also noticed a tendency for sequels on consoles to generally look similar to the originals. But I couldn't care. The KOTOR sequel looks the same, but if it offers the same sextastic gameplay of the original and improves a bit in some areas, then I'll be completely happy. In any case, it still looks good. Nothing that's going to hurt my eyes. :)

I know what you mean K e r b e r o s - H2 does feel more 'cluttered', and a little more complex than the original. The levels are also tighter, and herd you more. It's not quite the pure combat experience that Halo offered (although some levels are up there with Halo's best imo)

My early impressions are that Halo has the more refined single player game and Halo 2 has a far better multiplayer. Co-op in both titles is excellent.

Of course, this is still early days - and far too early to really get a feel for the game.

I still wonder why they didn't implement Coop through Xbox Live. That would be cool. I played the coop at the premiere and it was fun but I'd like to play with the same person through the whole campaign. He lives in Munich and I live in Hambug, 800km away. So Xbox Live Coop should be there. Why not? It's in FSW why not in Halo 2...?

Warbie said:
That can be a good thing. Gameplay is after all the most important part of a video game ... the more time spent on that the better :)

If you liked the original you'll like this too :)
Ya, but advances in technology can also open up the door to new and excitement gameplay. HL2, FarCry, RTW, CofRiddick, D3( though I think it was limited to this) all bring something to the table thats never been done before. I'm not putting down H2, infact I'm looking at it right now getting more and more depressed cause my xbox is HALF A DAMN CITY AWAY!!!

Halo 2's multiplayer owns.

As for single player... well, it was alright. I mean, I would have liked it if it was ALOT longer, and if the ending didn't totally suck balls.

Back