First Person Ragdoll?

DESSTROYER

Reaction score
i noticed in the videos when you die you fall over without ragdoll (like in the first half-life) i think this is kinda stupid. i would enjoy watching me die then in first person slide off the edge and fall and not like far cry's where it fades away in like 2 seconds.... has anyone else thought of this?

Yeah, it's one of those "I don't give a flying **** what they do" features.

Some people may lose a nut over it though.

That'd be cool, i always enjoy watching what goes on after my death, especially in tfc when you were about to throw a grenade and it explodes on your body (near your fragger of course.)

chimpmunk said:
That'd be cool, i always enjoy watching what goes on after my death, especially in tfc when you were about to throw a grenade and it explodes on your body (near your fragger of course.)

lol watch your body be a disaster... a grenade blows under your feet. you die and your body flys through the air and lands on a turret... knocks the turret over, turret begins firing and it hits and kills a bunch of enemies :sniper:

chimpmunk said:
Also handy for spotting that sniper that shot you in zee butt. ;)

It would probably be too chaotic and make people sick if your view was spun around and thrown everywhere from a gren.

Though i think doom3 has it, (along with per poly hit detection)

**** yes, 1st person ragdool effects would kick ass, like when u get Squeereeed by the striders leg i will like see the striders lef sticking out ur ****ing chest!

haha, i think u should be able to like look dow while your walking and like see your feed and shit

bloop:: so like u will se ur limp as body as it dangels around

HL2 doesn't render the player model. You're just effectively a walking camera - none of the above is going to happen.

HL2 doesn't render the player model. You're just effectively a walking camera - none of the above is going to happen.

ohh,i think i get it

I believe that they thought of it, and that most of the play testers did not like it, as your world was thrown around quite a bit. You can thank Brain Damage for this information as I got it from his forum site for his HL2Mod http://www.forums.sajt.org/

Personally I would like it if you could chose if you had rag-doll-death on or not.

Pi Mu Rho said:

Does that mean when u die, they then render your body? because u do see it when you die don't you? (or am i just thinking of cs where your player model is rendered?) either way i think cutting back on detail when you die and making the dead body a rag doll would be better :)

Can't wait to see rag dolls :D

If you've played HL - you'd know that when you die you fall down in first person, the view never switches to third person as in cs. Design choice (Gordon is YOU). You'll probably die like that (which is what Far cry had too).

Theif 3 does a great job at rendering the players body if you look down. The coolest thing about it is that "your" shodow is renderd too which imo is very imersing. The video of F.E.A.R uses the same and looks uber cool.

If anyone wants to see how it works, download the Raven Shield demo and get yourself shot. I personally think it's a cool shot. Especially when you fall off of a catwalk or some other high placing. It just looks cool.

Top Secret said:
If anyone wants to see how it works, download the Raven Shield demo and get yourself shot. I personally think it's a cool shot. Especially when you fall off of a catwalk or some other high placing. It just looks cool.

Except for the fact that ragdolls donot pick up speed while falling in Ravenshield, or have and Rigid contraints, making models bend in all sorts of comical ways. :D

Hopefully the player won't by dying often enough for this to be a real issue.

Well I'd like it to be incorporated just for the hilarious possibilities.

look at the bit on the E3 2004 vid with the combine soldier getting hit with the rocket now put that on multiplayer and you were the guy getting hit. That is gonner seriously mess your eyes up all that fast spinning. Still, i like the way the combine watches the rocket pass him then come up and hit him.

That is very easily moded in you just put a physic.mdl in for the Player model and JOO HAVE RAGDOLL

sHm0zY said:
I have never seen a video of when you die =S
Erm.. There's all of the strider videos (3)... Dies in every one of em...
It's the boring old fall-to-floor. :( I know they won't do any ragdoll, but can't they think of something better?

It doesn't bother me at all though, just saying..

Actually, Rainbow Six: Raven Shield had this happen - Your view would get kicked around when you were shot (in addition to going blurry and other unpleasant effects) and when you died, you could see the world falling up as your body crumpled to the floor...if you landed looking down, you could see the puddle of blood forming under you as your view went black. Very classy effect, I hope someone mods it in :stare:

EDIT: doh, someone already mentioned it. Oh well. :x

Flashpoint had the viewpoint of you dropping backwards and your arm and leg flying up and you looking at your shoulder as it faded to black with YOU ARE DEAD!

Hot dam, that is the greatest game in history.

In HL2 I'll be too pissed off that I died to notice this

what about quick save/quick load, id love it if its not in but if it is you cant help but use. you will hit load the instant you die or are about to or even if you lost to much hp. i hate quick save but cant help but use it

I think vavle wont use the ragdoll death thing because it pulls you out the game. (think the bit with the strider and barney where you die at the end)

As for quick save i love it but it should save one after another, not just 2 :( that way if you find a cool bit you just overwrite it lol

I don't think its a big deal lol , i dnt care if it fades away like Far Cry in a few secs or ragdolls realisticly in first person.

If i had to choose i'de want it to ragdoll realisticaly , but its nothing i wnt sleep over lol :)

but if someone modded HL2 to be 3rd person...

but then that's just Max Payne 2...

but thats a Max Payne 2 that a normal person could actually mod....

but... err... I've lost where I'm going with this....

i want to make cool buggy maps, see the physics with that.

try loops, jumps and stuff

Back in the time, when i played Tribes 2, there were servers that forced you to stay in 1st Person even if you died.
Could get quite confusing, but i enjoyed it, came for some pretty cool sequences. T2 kills where not ragdoll, though.

After all i don't care that much if your view follows your body all the time, buts its certainly a nice touch.... and of course helps xou to determine when to play that taunt animation in front of thet poor bastard that you just killed :D

Pi Mu Rho said:

And the floating camera can push boxes and tables?

Gabe Newell said:
The player is physically simulated

I think that at least means the 'floating camera' will fall down stairs and such.

Icarus said:
I think that at least means the 'floating camera' will fall down stairs and such.
It means that the game creates a collision box around the player, so that it can register movement when you run into objects or are hit by things. But it's just a box. There's no bones, no ragdoll. And when you die, the floating camera is released to the forces of gravity.

I'd just rather see my death in third person.

That way you can see any limbs hitting any objects and such. I can never keep up with first person ragdolls anyway. It's always "WOW LOOK I FLEW!.... Now i'm on the ground tumbling really fast... or am i just flipping through the air?.."

as would I, but if it isn't, it won't be a big loss

Easily modded, anyway. I can foresee this being modded within two weeks.

Back