****fixed The Sound Problem**** Video To Prove It

C

chickenbum

Guys

I just posted this at steampowered.

My pc was doing what everyone elses was. Audio stuttering.

MY PC Specs

Amd XP3200+
1.5gb Ram
7200rpm HDD
radeon 9800pro
sblive

What i did to fix the problem was take out the sblive, and uninstall the drivers, then install the latest nvidia nforce 2 drivers for the onboard sound card (5.10 from nvidia.com) this solved the problem 100%

i have included a video for those who dont beleive

http://members.dodo.com.au/jjer/hl2.WMV

(right click save as - ~2mb)

if the video stops just skip into it a bit, its 4am here and i just wanna play a silky smooth HL2. The game in the vid was not freaking out, just the webcam not being able to keep up.

cheers

Chickenbum

holy shit you comp loads hl2 fast !!

I usually have to wait like 9 1/2 minuts for my game to lad WTF !!!!

and then i have to wait about 6 minutes for my jidderynees to subside !!!! WTF ?!?!?!?

nice vid by the way mate.

Hey, thanks much! I have almost the same system as you except I'm using the onboard sound with my nforce board. Never thought to look for new sound drivers (duh!) until I saw your post, went to nvidia, and sure enough, there's new nForce drivers with a new audio driver that "fixed issues with multiple games".

I'm gonna try it tonight and see how it goes. In any case, just wanted to say thanks! :thumbs:

fraps video! this is awesome

here is a fraps video, hope this makes people beleive me now!

http://members.dodo.com.au/jjer/fraps.mpg

(8mb) right click save as

no hiccups when the barrels blow or anything, silky smooth, it usually runs 3x faster than that but fraps takes away a lot of frames.

chickenbum said:
Guys

I just posted this at steampowered.

My pc was doing what everyone elses was. Audio stuttering.

MY PC Specs

Amd XP3200+
1.5gb Ram
7200rpm HDD
radeon 9800pro
sblive

What i did to fix the problem was take out the sblive, and uninstall the drivers, then install the latest nvidia nforce 2 drivers for the onboard sound card (5.10 from nvidia.com) this solved the problem 100%

i have included a video for those who dont beleive

http://members.dodo.com.au/jjer/hl2.WMV

(right click save as - ~2mb)

if the video stops just skip into it a bit, its 4am here and i just wanna play a silky smooth HL2. The game in the vid was not freaking out, just the webcam not being able to keep up.

cheers

Chickenbum

So you physically took out your sound card? I was going to try this fix tonight but my intel P4 mobo's latest driver was released 2/2003...so I'm not sure this will help me.

chickenbum said:
yes, my sblive is no longer in my motherboard

Yeah...I guess the stuttering doesn't bother me THAT much to take out my sound card.

thats probley y i dont have the sound prob , as i dont have a sound card , i just use onboard allways have

didnt solve my gaming! ;(

XP-M 2400+ @2.2 ghz
2x256 400 ddr
9800 pro
sblive5.1
new 5.10 nvidia

I haev an Audigy 2 ZS and no sound issues... I wonder if it is driver issues? I know that the integrated sound cards plus a SB, can cause problems. I disabled my integrated sound in the bios and then did a fresh install a few months back because of this. Everything has been fine since.

dude are you the only one that can run this game that smoothly ?

I give props to you and your computer WOW!! This makes me want to throw my computer out my window.

My Specs = CRAP !!

Athlon 3200+
512 pc3200 Ram
ATI 9600 pro 256mb
180 GB HD 7200 RPM'S

i always have to click on steam which doesnt take to ling.
then click on hl2 logo = wait of about 5 1/2 minutes
then click on old saved game = wait of about 4 1/2 minutes
then leave for a drink or some TV = 8 minutes for my RAM to load the game to full extent (damn jidderyness) !

total time my game takes to load =18 minutes (no joke)
total time yours loaded 1 1/2 minutes and it runs flawless !!!!

WTF VALVE

oh and i run 800 x 600 w/ everything on medium or low and no shadows about 43 FPS. AFTER I WAIT 18 minutes

I have the nforce 2 chipset.....just tried onboard sound with the new drivers - made no difference. :|

What the hell. I have a 3.2ghz prescott (1024 cahce - 800 FSB)
1gig 3200 Dual DDR
9800 Pro
and my shit doesnt start up that fast. did you tweak something?

eyesore said:
1gig 3200 Dual DDR
9800 Pro

I have a similar system too (1gig pc2700 3000xp, 9800 pro, 7200rpm hdd) and mine isn't as fast as that either.

WTF, 3/4 of that video was spent loading the game and even then, it didn't have any sound? :s

skater4evr5 said:

I give props to you and your computer WOW!! This makes me want to throw my computer out my window.

My Specs = CRAP !!

Athlon 3200+
512 pc3200 Ram
ATI 9600 pro 256mb
180 GB HD 7200 RPM'S

then leave for a drink or some TV = 8 minutes for my RAM to load the game to full extent (damn jidderyness) !

WTF VALVE

oh and i run 800 x 600 w/ everything on medium or low and no shadows about 43 FPS. AFTER I WAIT 18 minutes

You know, mine did that for about the first 5 times I loaded HL2. It was annoying as hell. Then for some mysterious reason it quit and now works fine. I went from waiting literally 9 minutes for the game to load to waiting for 30 seconds. Loading a level went from 4 minutes to 20 seconds.

I still can't figure out why it changed though. But I still get the bug where it stutters constantly in game, even though I have high FPS.

Oh, my system is:

Athlon XP 2500+
Nvidia Ti4400 128mb
512mb ddr pc2700
40gb HD 7200rpm

Anyone here happen to use their nforce2 mobo w/ soundstorm for 5.1 sound? I've been trying to use mine for that (using Dolby Digital out due to speaker limitations), but the rear speakers seem to be tied to the front speakers (stereo cloning and delay off). I've got an Audigy in my system if that matters.

ShyGuy91284 said:
Anyone here happen to use their nforce2 mobo w/ soundstorm for 5.1 sound? I've been trying to use mine for that (using Dolby Digital out due to speaker limitations), but the rear speakers seem to be tied to the front speakers (stereo cloning and delay off).

This is a known bug that Valve has recognized. They say it is a driver problem on nVidia's end and that new drivers from them should fix it. We just don't know when those are supposed to be released.

He loads so fast because he has 1.5GB ram. I have:

Athlon 64 3200+
512mb ram
Radeon 9800 pro

which is the same computer, minus the ram, and I load SIGNIFICANTLY slower than he does, but I understand the reasons why and it totally makes sense.

You want to fix your load times? Get more ram.

eyesore said:
1gig 3200 Dual DDR
9800 Pro

Well he has 500megs more ram.

Maybe people with 1GB can't load it all and need some HDD seek which would really slow things down.

halflife 2 doesnt even take all my 1gig of ram to load. why would more ram help?

You NEED >=1gb RAM to have an enjoyable experience in HL2. Unless of course if you have a good book or movie to watch while the freakin game loads. I noticed a 200-300% increase in loading times, if not more by replacing my 512mb pc2700 with 1gb of pc3200.

I think 1.5gb is optimal though.

skater4evr5 said:

My Specs = CRAP !!

Athlon 3200+
512 pc3200 Ram
ATI 9600 pro 256mb
180 GB HD 7200 RPM'S

WTF VALVE

My specs are lower than yours and I load up much faster than that. You definitely have something else going on if it takes that long. Bummer! Hope Valve gets it squared away for you guys pronto.

chickenbum said:
yes, my sblive is no longer in my motherboard
Why were you using a Sb live in the first place if you have soundstorm?

Soundstorm is better then adugiy, and comes close to an adugiy 2 in terms of performance and features.

Getting more than 1gb of RAM isn't going to make any difference to Half Life 2.

I run a
xp2800
1 gig hyper x
9800 pro
2x 120g ide hdd
audigy 2zs + on board sound

stock settings in game i get a bit of studdering loading from one area to the next but smooths out after a couple seconds.
Load times for me are about 1 min to load and about 1 min to load the level

also, that was running the game from the compressed files too, at no time did i uncompress the hl2 files to attempt to speed it up.

eyesore said:
1gig 3200 Dual DDR
9800 Pro
AMD 64's tbh mate. I have a very similar spec to him

did u say amd 64 chicken?

chickenbum said:
might just be the extra 512mb i have?

At that size, you must not be running in dual channel, either, right? That is quite zippy...

whats odd is this

i have 1gb dual channel, and an extra 512 added in slot 2, so one stick isnt working in dual chan, but my system is running flat out as you can see from the vids, i have 3 sticks of ram

whats funnier is that the ram is 2700, not 3200.

I'm using the the 5.10 drivers on my nForce 2 board w/Soundstorm, and I get stuttering anyway. Using these drivers isn't a magic bullet, that will stop the stuttering for everyone who has an nForce 2 board.

I have the stuttering and not an nForce so this is really all moot to me...

I get stuttering with Nforce2 audio still:

XP-M [email protected]
1gb ballistix 4000 2.2.2.11
Abit nf7-s v.2 black mantaray 26 xt bios
9800 pro

Using the 5.10 nforce drivers

Back