Flashlight Stuttering

F

Fastballs

Help needed!

Whenever I use the flashlight the game stutters horribly. Has anyone had problems with this and how do you fix it?

Please advise!!!!

Fb

Can you people at least make an effort to provide constructive replies.
As for Stainlessj-FPGA, I think what he meant was that the game starts to stutter only when he uses his flashlight, which is rather strange.

By the way, Fastballs, you tried searching the steampowered forums?

What kind of computer do you have and what settings are you running HL2 at?

I'd be upgrading graphics drivers. Give us specs too.

Dell Dimession 4300 1.8 ghz
764 mb RAM
nVidia GeForce Ti 4200 128mb Vid Card
Santa Cruz sound card
120mb hard drive with 8 mb cache

I have all of the settings set on low or minimal.

Fb

\\-shanE said:
Can you people at least make an effort to provide constructive replies.
As for Stainlessj-FPGA, I think what he meant was that the game starts to stutter only when he uses his flashlight, which is rather strange.

By the way, Fastballs, you tried searching the steampowered forums?

Well I knew exactly what he was saying, and I know the flashlight is killing his performance because his system probably can't handle it.

Using the flashlight can result in a decent performance hit if you are already running close to the maximum load of your GPU. The reason behind this is that the flashlight adds another set of per pixel lighting calculations to anything you point the light at, thus increasing the length of any shaders running at that time.

Straight from a benchmark review of the game. Of course, without any specs listed, there's no way of knowing just how to help. Thus the unhelpful posts.

Dell Dimession 4300 1.8 ghz
764 mb RAM
nVidia GeForce Ti 4200 128mb Vid Card
Santa Cruz sound card
120mb hard drive with 8 mb cache

I have all of the settings set on low or minimal.

Fb

120mb hard drive 8mb cache? Huh?

Video card... I suggest you should get a newer card like Radeon 9600.

Damn, thats what I figured. If there are anymore options, please keep posting. If not, thanks all for the help!

Fb

A better video card would surely help your performance. A processor upgrade wouldn't hurt either. Although with Dell's, you pretty much have to buy a new system to upgrade. Good luck. :thumbs:

flash light add's a whole new layer of per pixel lighting, its very very heavy on the system preformance..

basically its kind of obvious. you need a better system. theres no way around it.

1) Upgrade your video card drivers. www.nvidia.com
2) Turn your resolution down.

If all else fails, you'll probably have to upgrade. And as someone already said, Dells are pretty proprietary (is that the right word for this situation?), upgrading is a bitch. Good luck :thumbs:

120 MB HDD, hahaha. I used to make that mistake too. Mega sounds bigger than Giga.

Back