Flight Sim X

Hazar

Tank
Reaction score
Soooo, I just finished the playing the demo for awhile and let me say, I was rather pleasantly surprised.

It took me quite awhile to figure out some of the controls and the game is annoying in that, there's no way to view your control scheme from ingame, you have to wait to end your flight then look in the options... also in the 2 training missions in the demo they never tell you the controls to anything, they just tell you what to do. Also, when you finally do go into the control setup thingy there's like 200 controls or so which isn't an exageration so its rather hard to find the one you are looking for in the first place.

As for the graphics, they are really quite good once you set them properly. When you first start up the game they're all set to very low by default which looks rather asinine but after you get them right (I ran ultra high in the regular setup and then turned it to 1280x1024 with af and aa in the advanced part) it looks really great, except I got low framerates which isn't entirely unexpected when rendering huge areas with lots of water/terrain/small buildings.

It'll be interesting to see what kinds of creative missions are in the full game (we already know there'll be one where you have to land on top of a truck or something like that) and even more interesting to see what the fan base will cook up because the mission editor is supposidly going to be opened to the public when the game is released.

Just the idea of having the entire earth mapped in the full game appeals to me in a way I can't really explain.

And to kind of put this all in perspective... I'm not really a flight sim kind of guy. The last time I played a flight sim was playing Flight Simulator 95... and that was pretty much when it came out. I think its definently worth checking out the demo if nothing else; it makes a good benchmark for your system too I would think.

I'll be buying this game. I love Flight sims. This is the biggest one yet.

I think it'll be cool to have once the dx10 stuff comes out too because it'll be one of the first to patch up to 10

My brother and I bought microsoft flight sim 2002 or whatever it was when it first came out... for my dad on his birthday, as well as a 100 dollar or so flight yoke... but he never played it. He's really into the idea of flying planes, but never got around to playing it with his busy life.

Wondering if I should get this one, just for the chance I can get him interested in it.

just download the demo and see if you/he likes it

bah, people would be more interested if they tried it

Its pretty fun...Ive been on the beta team since July, had some weird stuff, thats for sure...

IMO, though, the game is far from finished. Yellowstone looks like a desert. The Danube river doesnt go through Budapest (important if you want to do RedBull Air Race stuff) and it is still very laggy. I get 20fps with like 7% traffic, scenery set to medium, and 3d clouds at lowest settings....

Also, the dual core thing it supports? It doesnt. 100% utilization of Core 1, 0% of Core 2...

well i will be getting in in Jan 07 after ive built myself a new PC. It looks fantastik, hope to fly on some beautiful beaces & over some messed up country like Iraq, Afganistan, then into New York & Las Vegas.

I used to play flight sims, but they never entertained me long enough.

I'm slightly interest, but I'm a combat flight sim geek, not a flight sim geek, don't really see the fun in flying an endless amount of hours without groundtargets, flak guns, SAMs firing at you ;)

It's amazing how a non-combat flight simulator can be so entertaining... I remember spending like 6 hours of non-stop flight in FS2004 :p

Doubt I will get it, but I'll keep an eye out to see if it will change my mind.

TRY THE DEMO!!!

that's the whole point of the thread! D:

I have, and I didn't like it. The demo isn't the full game though. Perhaps MP and other parts just make people go "wow this is a must-have"

I like flight sims because I like flying, but a simulator can't take you anywhere near the experience of flying a plane at altitude. The feeling of being free and superior is overwhelming and somewhat addictive.

I've got FS2002 and don't really see the point in upgrading to FSX - OK the graphics are nicer, but at the end of the day it's still just a simulation. I liked F22 Lightning (the game) because it was faster paced and more accurate, in an odd kind of way.

as‧i‧nine  /ˈæsəˌnaɪn/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[as-uh-nahyn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1. foolish, unintelligent, or silly; stupid: It is surprising that supposedly intelligent people can make such asinine statements.
2. of or like an ass: asinine obstinacy; asinine features.

Methinks Hazar used the wrong word :p

the "of or like an ass" perfectly describes it mr dictionary D:

Meh, the only flight sim Im really interested in is the IL2 series. In fact, I spend more time playing IL2/Forgotten Battles/Pacific Fighters and the gazillion add ons than any other game.

I played the demo of FSX and it seems like FS2004 with better graphics and more detail. It made my PC struggle and not even Battlefield 2 does that to the same extent.

I've been playing a lot more X-Plane recently than FS2004. The demo of X-Plane doesn't do the full game justice, particularly when you add the world scenery pack, which is a pity.

I going to go get get FSX Deluxe today, but it's damn expensive (79.99 CAD). Should I just get it now or wait?

I going to go get get FSX Deluxe today, but it's damn expensive (79.99 CAD). Should I just get it now or wait?

Not like its going to get better while it sits there

Well why not get it now? :)

It will only get better once Vista is released and the DX10 patch for FSX comes out. That's assuming you will buy one of the new fancy DX10 cards though!

I loved Flight Sim 2004, or whatever the one that was "Century of Flight"

I didn't even know about this one, downloading my demo

*digs out joystick*

My brother and I bought microsoft flight sim 2002 or whatever it was when it first came out... for my dad on his birthday, as well as a 100 dollar or so flight yoke... but he never played it. He's really into the idea of flying planes, but never got around to playing it with his busy life.

Wondering if I should get this one, just for the chance I can get him interested in it.

Buying gifts suck :|

I bought my dad a wireless mouse for his computer and he stopped using it. My mouse broke so I grabbed it and started using it since he wasn't, now it's just sitting in my desk un-used :dozey:

I don't mind if he didn't like it or whatever....just...buying gifts is frustrating, and I feel your pain.

Back