Floppy drive help

tokin

Reaction score
Okay, so this drive has power, on bootup the light flashes real quick, but once at the desktop i put in a floppy disk and the light won't come on, then if i try and access the disk, any disk at all i just get an error message saying something like "This drive is not accessible" or something. Anyone have any ideas? It's some compaq paserio or whatever pc with windows 98.

First things first, did it used to work? or did you just install it?

Also, make sure the ribbon cable is around the right way - at both ends.

if he put the calbe on the wrong way on the wrogn way or back wards you just bent one of the pins

Cable first. Then power. When you've checked those, scan your PC for any viruses/spyware/adware (Saying the drive used to work!).

If none of the above works contact the manufacturer or retail salesman, or trade it in for a new one.

actualtly revise, i can put my cable on ethier way, with out beding anything.

You shouldn't be able to put a ribbon cable on either way round. Are you sure you're using the right cable?

If the light flashes, the drive must have power. Has it ever worked? What wattage is your PSU (clutching at straws)?

as for me, i know i'm using the right cable. He hasnt stated if his can fit both ways.

I was simply making a comment

Well, the last floppy drive was busted because a disk got stuck inside, so we just took it out. Now we get a new one that has had no problems and plug it right back up, cable first and then power. The cable wire hasn't been upside down, from all i know it's been right where its at and all we had to do is put the drive in, plug the cable part up, then the power wire, then power the PC. We get a light in the beginning, and then it's not accessible. I think maybe going into the BIOS could maybe help? I don't know what else to do. I hate not being able to figure out simple little problems like this, it's so bizarre.

Back