Fog?

X

XxANDYMANxX

i have a problem when i play. while playing a box or barrel will dissapear when im like 5 feet away but when i walk up to it it appears. i tried fog_enable 0 but nothing happens
it it fog? or anyother command or way i can get rid of this? :angry:

have u made the map urself or is it the official ones?

i have this too, but its because ive got low specs, id like to know how to turn it off though...

this is the official hl2

i just want to know how to turn of this disapering thing when your like 5 feet away and the boxes and stuff dissapear and reapear when closer

I'd check to make sure you have the latest drivers for your video card.

Also might be the version of Direct X you're running. DX7 has a strange fade on objects in HL2.

XxANDYMANxX said:
i have a problem when i play. while playing a box or barrel will dissapear when im like 5 feet away but when i walk up to it it appears. i tried fog_enable 0 but nothing happens
it it fog? or anyother command or way i can get rid of this? :angry:

That is coz your graphics card only supports DX7.
At least with directX7 that happens.

hmm that doesnt happen to me when playing single or multyplayer. It DOES happen when i use garrys mod.

The ragdolls and props disapper at about 5 ft

i currently have 9.0, dont know if card can support is: nvidia geforce 4 mx420 128 mb

Great Grizzly said:
hmm that doesnt happen to me when playing single or multyplayer. It DOES happen when i use garrys mod.

The ragdolls and props disapper at about 5 ft

i currently have 9.0, dont know if card can support is: nvidia geforce 4 mx420 128 mb

Thats it. gf 4 mx 440/420 whatever it supports only DX7... correct me if i'm wrong here =P

i can run hl2 at highest settings with medium aa and af and still get 100+ fps (ive got a 6800gt) and i get a similar thing happening too.
Detail of stationary objects becomes better at a defined point, and it is very noticeable when 'snapping to' a higher detail level.
I figured its gotta be the game engine, as my comp is pretty new and im running latest drivers. etc.

The original guys card is a DX 8 card according to nvidia, however it has no shader support which actually means its a dx 7 card, thats why hes gettin the fading.

On higher dx settings the distance of fade increases, however there are console commands to change the distance at which these detail shifts occur. I cant remember what exactly they are, but i know theyre there....

Hmm... try upgrading to direct x 9.0c. may solve the problem.

XxANDYMANxX said:
this is the official hl2

i just want to know how to turn of this disapering thing when your like 5 feet away and the boxes and stuff dissapear and reapear when closer

Hang on, I will open my 'teh tweakz' .txt file...

cl_detaildist [range] - Determines the range at which detail props are shown (e.g. grass). The higher the value, the lower your performance as more add-on details are shown. Reducing this setting can increase performance, and increasing this setting will improve image quality.

cl_detailfade [range] - Determines the range at which detail props fade into view. Increasing this value can raise performance.

Danimal said:
cl_detaildist [range] - Determines the range at which detail props are shown (e.g. grass). The higher the value, the lower your performance as more add-on details are shown. Reducing this setting can increase performance, and increasing this setting will improve image quality.

cl_detailfade [range] - Determines the range at which detail props fade into view. Increasing this value can raise performance.

so... what number should they be on? 1? 2? 20?

Default for the 1st one is 1200, I had it set to 600 during my tweaking. As the default for the fade is 400, I set it to 800 for optimal performence.

In your case, I would advise changing it to 1800 and 200 and check if that works.

NOTE: It will steal some fps from you doing this.

EDIT: The 2nd one should be lowered instead of raised

Back