Foliage outlines.

Kazuki_Fuse

Reaction score
I was just wondering why in computer games when you see like an animated sprite, eg grass foliage, half the time the Sprite has like a white outline around it? Is it just me or does anyone else notice it? It's not in all games, but I see it more often than not. I sure hope that if HL2 has animated foliage, it has a was of getting rid of that outline, cause it really looks pretty crappy. I noticed in FarCry for example, at least on the highest settings that it wasn't really visible. I guess what I'm asking is does anyone know why that happens? It seems to occur more on hard edged sprites. I know it sounds stoopid, I'm just curious.

Its to do with the alpha texture the sprite uses. Could happen in any game

I believe the term for it is lazyness. Pac man didn't have anything wrong with it.

The sprite doesn't have alpha blending. IE: Transparent edges. So you see the full green color of the leaf right to the tip.

They were REALLY bad in ghost recon
*horrible memories*

It's probably due to texture compression. The alpha channel (which acts as the visibility mask for the sprite) gets screwed up and some pixels get through that were not supposed to.

yeah, i experienced that problem when i was making textures for a custom Soldat map i was making. the compression would make the pure green bleed into the other colors of the texture. i ended up having to pixel-by-pixel reedit all the textures i made.

Back