for all of you crashing when HL2 loads !!

N

nagual678

REDOWNLOADING source models.gcf WORKED FOR ME !

just quit steam, delete the source models.gcf file and restart steam.

Doing so;

WOOT
it will only take 8 minutes for me to re-download :D

I did not work.

I am really, lost for words :(

Hold up, steam moniter says its only 93% completed updating....

wait till its 100% then ill try again, wtf?

96%....

let you know when its 100%

Try redownloading it now, so you dont have to wait, if it works for one person, it may work for you

I'm trying the same thing. You don't have anything to lose but time just try copying the .gcf file out of the directory and starting steam. Currently 8 minutes left so I'll update as well when I've tried. Can you guys get in at all? I got to the main menu but crashed when I finished loading the first level and the sound initiated. Strangely, I (and some others) can go to console and type 'map ...' and load most of the levels just fine. 7 minutes now that I'm done typing this msg.

how do you redownload your half life 2 ?????
I cannot find any option that can remove it first........

Nope didnt work,

nagual678:
did you re-download any other files?

I have redownloaded so far:
source engine files
source models
halflife 2 content

chonsasho said:
how do you redownload your half life 2 ?????
I cannot find any option that can remove it first........

go to : c:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps

and delete this file : source models.gcf

then start steam and it will download it again.

Just rename or originals and then just go to launch HL2.

Simple as that :)

chonsasho,
All you have to do to uninstall HL2 is under the games list right click Half-life2 go to properties and click delete local game content, and just double click the HL2 name again to reinstall.

Mine finished download and it worked like a charm!

Excellent work guys :D

if you delete local content... does that remove the files (meaning you have to DL again) or can you just reinstall straight away?

BEFORE YOU UNINSTALL HL2!!! Check to see if any of your games in the play games meny are incompletely downloaded. To check if they are, right click on the game, and pick properties -- anything less than 100 percent is an incomplete download. Apparently if any of the games are still trying to DL/install, it can pooch HL2 -- a LOT of people at HL2Fallout have had these problems, and fixed it by finishing these downloads. -- I am trying it right now.

only two files left for me to redownload, they are both a gb each :(

what file sizes do you guys get for these (I get whats below):
source sounds 998,956 KB
source materials 1,058,165 KB

before I go ahead and download anything else im going to let HL:S finish :(

if it worked i'm not going to post here again (at least not for a while) so here goes nothing..
note that the filesize after downloading was different (471,094,324 bytes) than before (471,097,048).
So... yeah. someone with a complete install should REALLY give out a .crc file I can't imagine why steam wouldn't have that function.

i would like to confirm taht this fixes the problem i was having.

Back