For all those with HL2 warez...

you dont need steam with the newer versions of this ware/crack..
(i have a legal copy, kthx)

She said:
you dont need steam with the newer versions of this ware/crack..
(i have a legal copy)

Posts like these make people download the cracked version instead of buying the game. Good job. :thumbs: (sarcasm)

stop the scare tactics, they are gonna do it anyway.
this isnt going to win you any fans, valve. just let it go. no other game company employs this form of RIAA tactics. your game is hardly great anyway, i finished it in about a day and was not really dazzled. maybe now you can get to building hl3. or should i say, a huge hype machine surrounding a mediocre hl3.

get a hold of yourselves, you aren't gods.

ps. wheres our team fortress 2 information? let me guess, we can mod it in.

pps. your revolutionary copy protection stinks. another hype machine. dont be sore losers just because you failed.

Well that "newer warez/crack" is also probally what valve released to track people who is doing this shit. :|

Wesisapie said:
stop the scare tactics, they are gonna do it anyway.
this isnt going to win you any fans, valve. just let it go. no other game company employs this form of RIAA tactics. your game is hardly great anyway, i finished it in about a day and was not really dazzled. maybe now you can get to building hl3. or should i say, a huge hype machine surrounding a mediocre hl3.

get a hold of yourselves, you aren't gods.

ps. wheres our team fortress 2 information? let me guess, we can mod it in.

pps. your revolutionary copy protection stinks. another hype machine. dont be sore losers just because you failed.
So what, your gona dig a company because they are TRYING to stop illegal copying, dont forget this is the company that was hit by the biggest steaing of code ever. They are trying to get their money out of a creation that is theirs, they made the game and they have every right to try and stop it being copied.

When they start lying to people inorder to "stop the warez" (IE, scare them into not doing it) i think they step over that little red line. Im amazed at how little people think things through anymore, it doesnt take a genious to realise that the only people who are going to lose from this are people who have allready bought hl2.

Im not advocating warez btw, god, hl2 is a kind of game you would want to pay money for, hopefully for the multiplayer mods that will be rolling in for years too. Just dont believe everything you read.

People bought the first halflife originally for the single player but I would bet there are more people that bought either HL or the CS retail for the WON key to play CS

Multiplayer CD key authentication is the way to sell games

can't be real. They have no base to stop accounts on these ground for they released it. I think its fake.

Where does Gabe ever mention that they released the warez version??? It seems like everyone just jumped to that conclusion. All Valve says is that they're monitoring people who downloaded it. Im guessing they have some way for Steam to report if it detects the warez version

Someone knows everything

:monkee: There are 1 000 000 monkeys watching all internet activity. They give a task a priority, be it low or high and wait and watch and wait and watch. A group that can read 1 billion texts(sms) and emails an hour (this time frame may be wrong), or atleast intercept and record for later preference! Also phone conversations. So don't worry. If they want you they will get you and show you a rather large file with your full name on it. :borg:

What is the sound of one hand claping.....

Dan said:
Where does Gabe ever mention that they released the warez version??? It seems like everyone just jumped to that conclusion. All Valve says is that they're monitoring people who downloaded it. Im guessing they have some way for Steam to report if it detects the warez version
Yeah, that's exactly what it seems like to me... that dude just said that Valve released a warez version out of nowhere...

There's no way they released a "warez" version. It would be way to much of a risk to put a playable game out. If a pirate version tried to connect to valve, everyone that knew what they were doing would either block any packets sent to Steam or dump they game if it wasn't playable. I bought the game and I'll say this...I bet the pirate groups will fix all the bugs before Valve and I'll get it too because I'm getting pissed.

I played and completed HL2 in 2 days.
Enjoyed it, begginning to end.
I get the impression within a month when all the mods start coming out I'll be enjoying it even more.
The game was greatly hyped, BIG time, but it deserved it, the quality of the game was better than any others advertised recently; therefore it warrents a big hype.

Valve spent years working on it. A lot of effort, and money.
Whether they're lying about tracking warez, or whether they're not, it doesn't matter - it will deter some ppl from getting illegal copies, because after all that time and effort Valve deserve something for it.

Stop flaming them for trying to stop people stealing from them.

>>no other game company employs this form of RIAA tactics.

Dear buttmonkey.
I haven't seen Valve suing anyone. I don't see them being convicted of pricefixing either. And are they taking 70% of the profits of OTHER people? Don't see that either. HL2 is their own work. If you don't know why the RIAA is bad, you shouldn't compare anyone to them.

>> your game is hardly great anyway, i finished it in about a day and was not really dazzled. maybe now you can get to building hl3. or should i say, a huge hype machine surrounding a mediocre hl3.

Gee, if you dislike it so much, maybe you should find a different game to play instead of spending every waking minute in order to finish it in a day. Or did you mean you got 24 hours of playtime out of the game? Because, hate to break it to you, but that's a lot of playtime for a SP FPS.

>>get a hold of yourselves, you aren't gods.

You're barely hitting homo sapien with this post.

>>ps. wheres our team fortress 2 information? let me guess, we can mod it in.

Let me see if I have this straight. You dislike the game, believe any attempts to stop piracy are bad, and yet you want information on an upcoming game by the same company you love so much? Do I smell hypocracy or is it just plain lies?

>>pps. your revolutionary copy protection stinks. another hype machine. dont be sore losers just because you failed.

I only hear one whiner here and it isn't Valve.

lol, good post Ahnteis. I have been reading these forums for the past few days and I have never seen so many teenage trolls spew nothing but ignorance and vitriol. Glad to see someone is willing to put them in their place.

regards

What bugs are you getting? What system are you running on?

Quote wazz -***I bet the pirate groups will fix all the bugs***

I had the stuttering problem really bad but a couple drivers and tweaks pretty much fixed them. The piss poor lame Valve updates didn't do shit, in fact I think they made it worse....6 years and no testing, They suck ass. The warez version from Vengeance runs unbelievably smooth with shorter loading times and the 30,000+ fragged files have been optimized, from what I hear ;) just like I figured!!! I'm only running a P4 1.6 with 768 meg of RAM but I have my system tweaked to the max so my Radeon 9800 pulls the graphics load with NP.

Is it possible that so many of you don't understand what a firewall is, or does? No one can watch what you're doing, if you have a good firewall set up to block everything, until you give it the OK to unblock something specific with the appropriate rules. These scare tctics are just that, and no more. Like most other windbags around here, I caved into the Steam way, because I really, really wanted HL2. But let me tell you, I was dragged in kicking and screaming. However, I would not be afraid of being tracked down if I used a pirate copy, regardless of how they claim it's possible. If there's no way to get from here to there, there's no way.

ehhhh no matter what those warez ****s are gonna find a way to play a game for free u cant really stop it

it cracks me up that some of u actually believe that the hackers wont crack a game, of course they will, these are clever people that know wot they are doin, i bought a genuine copy of the game, and believe that you should as well, however, u can try to stop crackers/hackers/pirates but they will always manage it. believe it or not some people are clever than the messianic Valve!

conquistador69 said:
Is it possible that so many of you don't understand what a firewall is, or does? No one can watch what you're doing, if you have a good firewall set up to block everything, until you give it the OK to unblock something specific with the appropriate rules.

Setting a firewall to block everything? Wouldn't it be easier to just unplug the cable?

Wherever theres a will, theres a way

">>get a hold of yourselves, you aren't gods.

You're barely hitting homo sapien with this post."
Bahahahhahahahahhahahahhahah xD one of the funniest things ive heard, xD

crackers will try to crack hl2 because it will be a challenge for them, with steam and all that rubbish (I personally disapprove of steam but thats another story) Apparently one group of hackers (emporio me thinks) wrote a steam emulator to get around the real steam, I mean, that's some pretty crazy stuff right there. These people are smarter than people think, they can, they will and I think they have cracked it already.

electronic squid said:
When they start lying to people inorder to "stop the warez" (IE, scare them into not doing it) i think they step over that little red line.

Uhuh...sure... and pirating a game that costs these guys a lot of their time and money isn't something you should give a toss about... but OH MY GOD... telling them that they are being watched when using a warez version... now that's really screwed up!

As if they haven't made millions already :p, they probably made a profit before it was even released because of the pre orders etc

Let's see. Half-Life 2 has been out for about 3 weeks and people expect all the bugs to be fixed? Give me a break. It doesn't work that way people. I'm just thankful Valve cares enough to FIX the bugs. I have bought plenty of games where the company just doesn't give a crap. Give Valve time.

As for the Steam thing, good for Valve. They have every right to stop illegal activity with their own game. I would do the same if I were in their place.

I doubt this will make them lose fans. Those who are pirating the game obviously don't care enough to buy the game in the first place so I wouldn't exactly call them fans.

Erm - this is rather old news people. That stupid page on Half Life 2 files has been floating around for a while and no Valve did not release a warez version of Half Life 2 to catch people out (why would they do that!?). I can't for the life of me think how the person on the site could be silly enough to misinterpret/bend what Gabe said. What Gabe was referring to was the fact that people who tried to take advantage of a loophole in steam that let them obtain HL2 without paying for it would get banned - which they were (20000+ people in fact).

Mouldy Punk said:
As if they haven't made millions already :p, they probably made a profit before it was even released because of the pre orders etc

Who knows how much money they've made....but I know that if I had forked over $40 million of my own money and spent 6 years creating something.. I'd sure as hell want a fair bit in return...

I'm not saying you're a warez monkey.. but if that's how they think, then that's completely wrong...

Mouldy Punk said:

Let's see--over $40,000,000 in development costs. (That was around a year ago, so probably at least another million on that.)

Now, bronze costs $50. So... they'd have to sell approximately one million copies to break even. Except WAIT, that's not true. Because we're ignoring Vivendi. Yes, those [insert expletive(s) of choice] take a large portion of the sales price. (I believe the figures were $7/retail and $17/steam for Valve.)

And then the remaining profits? They don't go to one person. There are a lot of people at Valve.

Funny how that works -- software actually costs big bucks to make. Any guess why so many PC developers have gone out of business lately? Between piracy and greedy publishers, there isn't much left for the developers.

Yeah, HL2 will (has?) made money but I doubt it's as much as you think.

I have a warez version and it doesen't require steam (you just click on the exe in a folder) and it seems to run quite a bit faster than my original copy.

Lemme just get in my reasons as well. I'm a massive Half-Life fan, and i couldn't get the money in time for the release so i played and completed in fact the game on the warez copy. Blown away it's brilliant, even on my crappy pc. Yesterday i finally had enough money to buy it.

My point is, Steam get's a hell of a lot of unjustified criticism. I really like steam. But I really wish they would devote some serious time to perfecting the damn thing. Like i said, my pc isn't very good, and therefore the maybe only relatively small difference in performance makes a big difference for me however. It annoys me that I have to play the warez version for HL2. even little things like the readme's that come with the warez versions- they somehow just strike you as being more dedicated than valve a bit? I dunno really. Whatever.

Wesisapie: 1,441 trolling posts, not one interesting thing to say. What a record!

Back