For the people who wanted a true hl2 mp.

Asuka

Companion Cube
Reaction score
I know someone posted the interview already but knowing 50-70% of the people dont read them ill post the most important/interesting quote.

HomeLAN - Will there be basic Half-Life 2 deathmatch and Capture the Flag modes released by Valve at some point or will the mod community have to create those products?

Doug Lombardi - Right now, we do not have DM or CtF modes for HL2 in production.

Now i think this is very good news and whoever thought valve would just let one of the most wanted game pass without some kind of dm mp your crazy.

How is that good news again? He just said they DON'T have them in production.

Hey man he said "right NOW we dont" Meaning later they will. Im sure it will be made.

Yeah, he said 'Right now', indicating there will be one.

You could probably code this up in a weekend. Somone will release it, and nobody will every play it.

Dagobert said:
You could probably code this up in a weekend. Somone will release it, and nobody will every play it.
HL2 DM should be easy to make really quick. A few lines of code, covert some maps from HL1 DM, and boom. Let the mod community do the rest.

No, it means that they may CONSIDER it later. I highly doubt an official CTF MP will be released...

Raziel-Jcd said:
Hey man he said "right NOW we dont" Meaning later they will. Im sure it will be made.
If you strip out all the marketing speak, his answer is a rather clear "No."

DarkSonic said:
No, it means that they may CONSIDER it later. I highly doubt an official CTF MP will be released...
Quoted for emphasis.
¬_¬

He's just saying 'No' in PR language. Personally, I'd rather have them working on TF2.

SnowBall said:
HL2 DM should be easy to make really quick. A few lines of code, covert some maps from HL1 DM, and boom. Let the mod community do the rest.
EXACTLY the thing I fear the most of all things.
Valve=quality mod community = 99% horse dung.

Clavius said:
EXACTLY the thing I fear the most of all things.
Valve=quality mod community = 99% horse dung.
If we get some mappers as good as the ones who do stuff for UT2004, then we'll be in good shape. Some amazing stuff has come from the Unreal community.

SnowBall said:
If we get some mappers as good as the ones who do stuff for UT2004, then we'll be in good shape. Some amazing stuff has come from the Unreal community.
Do you think thats from the Make Something Unreal competitons for $1mill ?

Maybe VALVe should do a similar idea.

He said "right now," so he is saying no there isn’t any DM or CTF but maybe in the future either they or the mod community will release the modes.

So your answer is no, but there is the possibility someone will make it either VALVe or the mod community... but you have a better chance of DNF coming out rather then VALVe releasing DM.

They will be working on TF2 source mods like HL1 and CS:CZ.

switch said:
Do you think thats from the Make Something Unreal competitons for $1mill ?

Maybe VALVe should do a similar idea.
To an extent. Some of em are just dedicated mappers. But that contest was a great idea to get the community booming.

There is already a Mod team dedicated to making HL2DM. They are just waiting for the SDK to come out so they can start working for real on it.

Their plan is to port a straight DM with no additional weapons. I'm sure the new stuff will come out after the DM verison is running well. Until then, it's straight mod to DM.

Wish I had the link now. Apparently they think they have enough people signed up to do the job, so lets have that SDK!!

I dont know what everyone's so angry about. I look at HL1 DM servers to CS or even Natural Selection servers and it's pretty pathetic. Who wants to play HL1 DM when there's 100 mods out that are 100 times better than it? Dont worry, HL2 will be the same way. No one will even bother worrying about HL2 DM 3 months into the game when there's already some great mods showing themselves.

Oh, and btw, good call Valve. :)

Homercidal said:
There is already a Mod team dedicated to making HL2DM. They are just waiting for the SDK to come out so they can start working for real on it.

Their plan is to port a straight DM with no additional weapons. I'm sure the new stuff will come out after the DM verison is running well. Until then, it's straight mod to DM.

Wish I had the link now. Apparently they think they have enough people signed up to do the job, so lets have that SDK!!
Link??

You guys say that it'd be easy to knock up some DM code, but what about co-op mode? I'd much rather play HL2 on co-op that a regular deathmatch... If regular DM would be easy, then shouldn't co-op be a piece of piss?

Dagobert said:

Couldn't agree more. Everyone will flame Valve for not doing it, then, it'll come out, no-one will play and Valve will be like, "OMG, lame a$$ community whingers." and it will be so true.

UmbrellaMaster said:
I dont know what everyone's so angry about. I look at HL1 DM servers to CS or even Natural Selection servers and it's pretty pathetic. Who wants to play HL1 DM when there's 100 mods out that are 100 times better than it?
True, but HL2 DM is not HL1 DM. I can just imagine the possibilities of having an HL2 DM with it's realistic phsycs,vehicles, and the manipulator gun...
Imagine this: As you take out your manipulator, a tank comes at you along the side of a cliff. At the same time, a buggy speeds down a hill behind you. Just as it's about to hit you, you grab it with your manipulator, swing it around and use to to throw both itself and the tank off the side of the cliff...

I love the Hl1 dm, and since i dont play alone, i guess some other people do.

Right now, I'm perfectly content with Counter Strike: Source. I only ever played Half-Life Deathmatch maybe half-a-dozen times at most. It wasn't until Team Fortress Classic that I really got hooked on multiplayer gaming, so the lack of vanilla deathmatch doesn't really bother me. I'm much more interested in the mods.

Besides, if I ever really need a multiplayer fix, there's always Unreal Tournament 2004.

The manipulator gun doesn't have that kind of power in the single player. It should not in MP either.

There should be a true HL2 MP release. A simple port of existing mods over to the new engine is a nasty idea IMO. I want to frag with new people. It's like SI porting to the new engine. That communty probably only has 100 people playing it on a regular basis. Porting it to the HL2 engine will just move all the same people to a fancy graphics. Nothing could be more booring. Moving CS to the new engine sure hasn't convinced me to play it. I want HL2 MP, new maps, new guns included. I want something new. Not something old with a new hat.

team fortress was delievered months after hl's release within a patch, so why the same shouldn't happen with hl2 and hl2dm?

This thread exemplifies the phrase:

"Hope springs eternal"

Also known as:

"Someone needs a reality check."

:)

There should be a true HL2 MP release. A simple port of existing mods over to the new engine is a nasty idea IMO. I want to frag with new people. It's like SI porting to the new engine. That communty probably only has 100 people playing it on a regular basis. Porting it to the HL2 engine will just move all the same people to a fancy graphics. Nothing could be more booring. Moving CS to the new engine sure hasn't convinced me to play it. I want HL2 MP, new maps, new guns included. I want something new. Not something old with a new hat.

Wait a second... isnt moving HL2 into DM something old with a new hat? I mean sure, the manipulator hasnt been done before, but DM is DM. It's not going to be some brand new type of gaming (ala Natural Selection), it's going to be "Shoot this guy, get a point, shoot that guy, get a point" just like any other DM you've ever played. I just don't see HL2 DM being much new.

Just my opinion though.

Mountain Man said:
If you strip out all the marketing speak, his answer is a rather clear "No."

thats true...and why should we be surprised at a Valve employee speaking in coded language? they have done it enough times before.

i think even if they do create a HL2 MP... it just won't be as soon as pple here think it will be... simply cause Valve are probably exhausted with all the work that has gone into HL2... and they still have alot on their plate with CS2, DOD:Source, DOD2, TF2, a HL2 expansion pack etc.. thats alot of projects to do..

I doubt Valve will be working on any HL2 expansions any time soon. They'll probably do the same thing they did with Opposing Force and give the rights to a 3rd party company like Gearbox to make an expansion. Hopefully Valve'll be busy with supporting the mod community and secretly working on HL3. :D

UmbrellaMaster said:
Wait a second... isnt moving HL2 into DM something old with a new hat? I mean sure, the manipulator hasnt been done before, but DM is DM. It's not going to be some brand new type of gaming (ala Natural Selection), it's going to be "Shoot this guy, get a point, shoot that guy, get a point" just like any other DM you've ever played. I just don't see HL2 DM being much new.

Just my opinion though.

You have some what of a point there.

DM is classic online play. It was around first. I like the simplicity of DM. Team DM is nice as well. Valve has done what will make them the most money. Find a way to put a new face on CS. Now CS seems like a whole new game to everyone. Don't get me wrong, if I were Valve I would do the same thing. CS is where the money is from a developer's point of view.

I would love to play some DM with HL2 maps and vehicles. Porting HL1 or OP4 over to the new engine may be fun for a bit but after a while it will be old hat again.

I guess I am just stuck in the 90's with this. DM just isn't very popular anymore.

I'm old!

Who gives a flying fook about HL2 DM or CTF. They were so crappy the first time I played I quit and never looked back. CS/DOD/TFC/FA/NS

those are all azz kicking multiplayers. why do some of you people insist on keeping this crappy Deathmatch? WHY!

Now with all of these posts I'm making about how HL2 DM will be the same thing rehashed, dont get me wrong, I'll still play it.

I'm just saying that if people are going to grouch about there NOT being an HL2 DM and that's their only complaint, why not just wait it out for a mod team to do it? It'll come.

Obviously Valve doesnt care about HL2 DM, and rightly so. They've got a gold mine with CS:S, DoD:S, and any other mod they decide to port over. The demand for HL2: DM seems to be less than half of those wanting CS: S and DoD:S, so why spend the time making it when they could be creating TF2?

*shrug* Like I said, if someone makes HL2 DM, I'm not against it. I'll download it and play it more than likely.

I think that they will shock everyone and release it with dm or co-op mp

It's a definate NO, it's just that they've left room for them to change their minds. Why not?
Porting across the old mods might well get a new audience, if they port over S&I I'll certainly try it again.

Back