Forced CS:S preloads

It apparenly is already, but it still won't do anyone any good.

well considering that downloading the 300 odd megs of CS:S will take my ropey connection 2 days I can see the benift of getting it early. Also think of the server demand when every user starts to download CS:S.

yeah the main benefit (well actually the only one) is taking the pressure off the limited connections available (at both steam and our ends)

It just finished preloading for me. I didn't force it either. Started Steam up this morning and it had the updating icon. I tried to see what it was doing in the network monitor but it just kept saying "Scanning..."

When it was finished I had a look in the SteamApps directory and there was a new file called counter-strike source shared content.gcf

So I opened it with GCFScape. I didn't expect it to work (encrypted or incomplete) but it did. It comes with two maps; de_dust and test_speakers. Also seems to share some (not a lot, mind) content with HL2 but I'm keeping away from that.

Oh, it also has some server DLLs.

Comparing it to the CS GCFs, I'd say there was quite a bit missing.

Shuzer said:
Bahaha.. Gabe owned Catwoman. :thumbs:
..I think. That's a funnily worded sentence, can't tell if he was mocking it. OH WELL!

LOL! I took it the same way...I think the word "useless" is pretty much a given to what he thinks of Catwoman ;)

---

on topic. Just don't see the point. Even if someone can get the forced pre-load to work...why do it? The game will be out soon enough.

The Mullinator said:
If I start downloading now on my dial-up connection then maybe it will be done by the time they finally let you play it. :p

Same here - it would definatly help real-CZ owning 56k users like us :) Without having to wait eons for the 300 meg file :sleep:

Didn't Valve give a job to that guy who invented the BitTorrent technology? Perhaps when the CS:S beta becomes available, Steam will start using peoples upload capacity in a similar fashion to maximise content delivery.

A few sites and irc channels have posted the information needed to force pre-load of cs source and authenticate it so that it is playable

really `? Where ? I don't believe you... :cat:
nc17 said:
A few sites and irc channels have posted the information needed to force pre-load of cs source and authenticate it so that it is playable

briggsb2k said:
Naw the beta will b uploaded onto a website/ftp server n then we can all download it before its officially available 2 cz and ati voucher holders. Possibly by sum1 in the forums as i think some ppl, have already downloaded the file since the shortcut was found.

I don't think so. At least I hope not.

nc17 said:

u sure? if so, thats quite a security flaw, i would have thought it was pretty secure. where did you get that information from? also segobi did you say that you have verified this? not too happy about this :(

Thats a good point Gabe has.

I didn't download it. Like Gabe said, its pointless to have it, except just to say you pre-loaded it.

nc17 said:

Thats apparently a load of bollocks now though. The guy on irc that uploaded the dll was randomly trying different dll's to see if one would work. None did :)

And its not pointless to have the cache file now because its out of they way and means more bandwidth for everyone else come the 16th-18th.

I read on another forum that Valve just disabled it so nobody can perform the trick to preload CS:S anymore... I guess that way people will not affect content server's bandwidth/performance.

Back