Fortress Forever Review

I don't agree at all, I think fortress forever is far superior to TF2 any day any game mode. If you manage to look beside all Valves marketing and the styled graphics.

Well, I really can't see past the nade spam tactics in FF. Different strokes for different people.

I see you linked to my TFC Wiki page. :p

EDIT: Oh wait, you didn't! You linked to the Wikipedia page! Stay true to your origins and link to the HL2.net wiki one! :O

I think the review is extremely poor, and I'm a bit surprised this was posted on the front page.

Mentioning TF2 was of course unavoidable, but why do this repeatedly ? Wasn't this a FF review ? First sign that something's wrong..

"The former is firmly rooted in the past, whilst the latter looks to the future."
This sentence made me jump a little. It just shows right from the bat that the review is biased and relies on prejudice. TF2 just has to be better since it's newer, right ? What ?

One of the staples of FF, movement control, something pretty unique as far as mods go (apart from TF2, all TF mods include this) isn't visited or tried to explain, but just quickly mentioned at the end in a unambiguously mocking manner. ("lol jumping rabbits teehee. oh by the way i won't ever try to explain what it's about !")

The reviewer states that FF is all in all a good modification, but never actually explains why. There isn't a single screenshot, which clearly shows not a lot of effort was put into the review. For crying out loud, he states clearly to avoid FF and just play TF2 if you haven't played TFC before ? What ? One can't help wondering about this. Why is that ? No explanation will be given.

I'd be surprised if the reviewer spent more than a day playing Fortress Forever, let alone a few hours. The review is seriously flawed and a disgrace that it was put on a major site such as HL2.net.

I think the review is extremely poor, and I'm a bit surprised this was posted on the front page.

Mentioning TF2 was of course unavoidable, but why do this repeatedly ? Wasn't this a FF review ? First sign that something's wrong..

"The former is firmly rooted in the past, whilst the latter looks to the future."
This sentence made me jump a little. It just shows right from the bat that the review is biased and relies on prejudice. TF2 just has to be better since it's newer, right ? What ?

One of the staples of FF, movement control, something pretty unique as far as mods go (apart from TF2, all TF mods include this) isn't visited or tried to explain, but just quickly mentioned at the end in a unambiguously mocking manner. ("lol jumping rabbits teehee. oh by the way i won't ever try to explain what it's about !")

The reviewer states that FF is all in all a good modification, but never actually explains why. There isn't a single screenshot, which clearly shows not a lot of effort was put into the review. For crying out loud, he states clearly to avoid FF and just play TF2 if you haven't played TFC before ? What ? One can't help wondering about this. Why is that ? No explanation will be given.

I'd be surprised if the reviewer spent more than a day playing Fortress Forever, let alone a few hours. The review is seriously flawed and a disgrace that it was put on a major site such as HL2.net.
QFT.

Perhaps another reviewer who is less bashing and biased should rewrite this (especially because its on the front page)? I can't help but notice how alike this review was to a psychotic hate letter. Yes I realize I am stretching a bit but I still can't believe something this biased was put on the front page...

and what ever the map was to steal the other teams beer).

I understand what your saying, but Valve didn't enter the picture until after the release of TF 2.0 back in '96. So yeah "Valve-acquired"

lol, hearing you mention Beer made my day. There were actually two maps, Beer and Beer2, they were made by my friend and Quake 1 clan mate, [SS]Gunther. We actually had a few mappers in our clan (including myself), but he was one of the best in the game, so I'm glad people remember his work.

For the history, TF 1 was released in August, 1996. In 1997 the developers incorporated as Team Fortress Software and began working on TF2, which was to be a commercial Quake2 mod, but they were acquired by Valve in 1998 and began working on TFC (which was more or less intended just to hold people over until TF2 (no longer a Q2 mod), which was due to come out "soon." Now here we are, 10 years and several incarnations later, with an open beta. :)

For some nostalgia, the old TF webpage is still up at http://www.planetfortress.com/teamfortress/

As for FF vs TF2, neither is perfect. For all its faults, FF is a more complete TF implementation, gameplay-wise. I'm not talking about bunny-hopping either (which we didn't allow on my old TF server anyway), even their decision to remove grenades I could live with (maybe). But they removed a lot of very good tools and abilities (detpacks, feigning, caltrops, etc.), but added nothing in return. The only new gameplay feature I can think of off-hand (by this I mean, things to do) is the medic's ability to charge while healing to eventually become invulnerable. Many of the things that are tauted as "new and innovative" have been around since TF1, such as engineer teleporters, spy cloaking, and even maps with control points (wasn't common, but they were there).

So that's my big gripe with TF2. Its just half of TF1 with improved graphics, interface, and charm.

All that said, it is a well made game, and I look forward to when the SDK is released, because I imagine it won't be long before modders finish TF2 for Valve. :)

Bunny hopping was never an intended game play strategy, it was just merely something players developed themselves in the same way as rocket jumping.
Well I could be wrong, but I think it just gives you a minor advantage nowadays as opposed to breaking the sound barrier the way it did once upon a time. Regardless, I see that as a really minor point to focus so much attention on, especially with much bigger changes between the 2 games, like lack of grenades, detpacks, infection, added respawn time, added building time, added invulnerability and healing range, etc.

Mentioning TF2 was of course unavoidable, but why do this repeatedly ? Wasn't this a FF review ? First sign that something's wrong.
I think a 3 way comparison between TFC, FF, and TF2 would be great if it went into depth and I think would be something a lot of TF players would be interested in. However the comparison I did see had it making large claims that weren't substantiated.

Perhaps another reviewer who is less bashing and biased should rewrite this (especially because its on the front page)? I can't help but notice how alike this review was to a psychotic hate letter. Yes I realize I am stretching a bit but I still can't believe something this biased was put on the front page...
I wouldn't go so far as psychotic hate letter, but it felt very biased and unsubstantiated. And as you said, this was on the front page, I would love to see a "counter review" on the front page, not to praise FF, but give it a fair evaluation (or comparison).

Back