FPS Strategies...

crazed

Reaction score
I'm very anal-retentive when it comes to keeping Armor and HP at the max, so I'm always quick saving and quickloading, even when I don't really need too. I think this is why it takes me so long to beat games. Maybe I should just relax a little and have fun.

When you play FPSs like HL, do you continuously quicksave and quickload or do you just try to get through the level in one continuous try?

I never quicksave unless I gotta leave the game, so i save then exit. Sometimes I quicksave b4 hard parts or b4 bosses, but thats it.

i quick save after each major conflict so i dont have to do that again. Also if i gain a lot of health or ammo.

i was the same in half-life1, but since then i have realised its just a waste as its easy enough to survive unless you ge tto low hp

I quicksave all of the time, its the best thing since sliced bread! Basically each time there is a lull in combat or combat is coming up I quicksave. Hell, in HL1, when you had to jump from one box to another hanging from the cieling, I quick saved on every box.

Its just so conveniant, I can't stop using it!

I remember Gabe saying that the autosave is structured in such a way that you can trust the game to save and just play.

I usually save if I get alot of ammo, before a hard part, or after I killed a bunch of enemies (and I still have decent health and armor.)

I play a game to enjoy it. So i just quick save now and then and if i die i don't care.

makin it by in the big moonlight.............................

I save before bosses, or when i realize that i havnt saved for a long time.

I sometimes deliberately don't quicksave after a particularly cool point, just so if I accidentally need to I can do it again. But usually I'm pretty obsessive about it..

I hope the save is set up (relatively) like Halo, where it saves for you quite a bit. I would like the option to save myself however. There have been times when I've been playing Morrowind for 3 hours straight and it locks up just as I realize I haven't saved... that is so f*in' anoying.

I always forget to save.
Yesterday I was replaying Deus Ex .... I was up to the Missile Silo (second last mission)
I died and had to go back to the first visit to Versalife in HONG KONG(about 1/3 through the game)
Lol. :rolling:

I get too immersed in the game.

oh, i also save when i get health and armor. Though i dont save when im at low hp, i just wait till i get my hp back to save.

I remember being at stages in HL where I just had too low hp to survive until the next health station ... that made me use quicksave a lot to the point of addiction :)

Sounds good with the new autosave function

Originally posted by crazed
I'm very anal-retentive when it comes to keeping Armor and HP at the max, so I'm always quick saving and quickloading, even when I don't really need too. I think this is why it takes me so long to beat games. Maybe I should just relax a little and have fun.

When you play FPSs like HL, do you continuously quicksave and quickload or do you just try to get through the level in one continuous try?

ha! i am not alone

I'm really anal-retentive too... but I'm worse, like if I lose 15 points of armor its a quick load, or if I miss a jump or something

shoot, i'm worse than that...i quick save after just about every kill and quick load if i lose 2 health points from a headcrab.

though last time I played I made myself go through the whole game without quick saving once.....worked pretty well til i got to the part by the storm drain hatch with all the mines....after getting blown up one too many times I gave it up. curse my bad memory of where those things are!

shoot...I'll play for an hour, save provided I have more then 50 health!
if I DON"T have more then 50 health, I'll backtrack and heal up, PLENTY of health around...

who needs sheild?

Originally posted by dusk
shoot, i'm worse than that...i quick save after just about every kill and quick load if i lose 2 health points from a headcrab.

Word!
/me high-fives dusk

I auto-save after every darn jumping puzzle...

Fps strategies in general though:
Strafe alot.
Use grenades.
Use the environment for flanking and cover.

lol i sometimes i like living on the edge, shooting through and having 30 hp while going up agaisnt a squad. omg it gets your heart pounding, im like OMG ILL KILL U ALL I DONT WANNA DIE!.
but ehn of course i do and wish i had quick saved. but thats the fun of it. i ocasionally do like after i fill up on life then i go waste it again till i fill itup again.

im like OMG ILL KILL U ALL I DONT WANNA DIE!.

lol I know the feeling. I was playing Jedi Academy yesterday and 2 dark jedi ambushed me and I was low on health and I didn't have the force heal skill so I just charged them and I was like "DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

I died and had to go back to the first visit to Versalife in HONG KONG(about 1/3 through the game)

Wow, that's pretty bad. How ridiculuous that they didn't at least auto-save for you on level loads or cut scenes.

You guys should all play through the game without quicksaving at all. There's still autosaves, so you don't have to backtrack toooo much. It's just way more of a rush when you know you don't have anything to fall back on. You get much more involved in the game.

I only quicksave if I have a hard time beating a place in the game. Then I save after I beat it, and in the middle.

Originally posted by FoB_Ed
lol I know the feeling. I was playing Jedi Academy yesterday and 2 dark jedi ambushed me and I was low on health and I didn't have the force heal skill so I just charged them and I was like "DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

You died, didn't you? hehe

yeah quicksaving is great. But the best saving tecnique ever was the halo checkpoint system. It was easy to use, reliable and meant you did not need to worry about where u saved last :bounce:

I also quicksave a lot in the FPS.
DeusEx was a cool game, but yep, you always had to think about the quicksave... hehe

i hate it when i quicksave, but right after its done saving, a scripted event happens and a piece of ceiling crushes me hehe

the worst thing is when you accidently hit quickload instead of quicksave.

Anyone remember that black ops fight in op4, the one in the big freaking warehouse where you fought both male and female black ops and there were boxes on overhead conveyor belts near by?

i must've quickloaded/saved like 20 times for that one fight before i finally could put it behind me

I always quicksaved before big conflicts and after I just had upgraded my health/armor.

Back