FragLand Reports...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rec

Reaction score
Yesterday we reported about the fact that the source code of Half-Life 2 was stolen.

Today we bring you the hot of the press news that not even half of the source has been stolen. Yes, you heard that right: the thieves will not be able to do much with it as a VERY reliable source let us know that some major code needed for compilation is missing.

Unfortunately, we are not allowed to mention our source, nor the exact percentage that was stolen but meanwhile Valve is still looking for all possible info related to what happened. If you know anything or have any good leads, be sure to contact Valve

Just wanted to mention a post from FragLand here, which you can see above. As far as I'm concerned, they're either going to the wrong person for information, or have gotten things confused.

The source has already been compiled successfully and can be played, even online.

I'd say they've smiply misconstrued what their apparent source has tried to tell them. According to what we know so far, I think what they meant is that it cannot be compiled in all its glory because we're missing major parts of the GAME, not the source specifically. We cannot compile it with the real models, sounds, textures, maps etc. because we have no media related content, only the source specifically.

Just wanted to point this out so no one gets confused (again)...

It can be played, and is. It's just tehcnically not Half-Life 2, it will technically always be a "mod" until the original media files are aquird (let's hope that doesn't happen)

Daiceman9... What about it?

Is it possible they're trying to detour people from dling the so called beta? Sad attempt, but possible.

Possible, but I see little reason to do so. There's no stopping what has begun, it has simply spread too far.

people are working on models and shaders, and the new game./save/load screen is already done, with background.

with time, and i guess within a week, we'll have a fullly working 'mod', with textures and sounds and models.
it's sad, but.. people will still buy hl2 though :)

Yeah I hope it doesn't delay release further.. which I think it will not. Because valve is releasing the game with Ati.. or at least a coupon.. they still need to have the game available, or it will be false marketing..

I can't wait to buy the retail copy..

Think of it this way:

It'll be like having our own personal little benchmarking engine... except it's 100% illegal... :cheese:

So people are compiling then dumping there cs directory in place eh? kinda sad.

i'm curious, what is the incentive to do that? I mean, clearly people care about this because HL2 is so highly anticipated, but does anyone actually think this is worth it?

do they really think this is somehow allowing them to "play the game" earlier? I just don't understand.

This is all too pathetic to even continue. This is melodrama now. What happened to valve is horrible, what a ridiculous bunch of losers computers have created to have taken this so far. I just want to buy the game & play it! I hope a majority of the people initially responsible for this will soon be popping their zits in a nice cool prison somewhere, while the rest of us get to actually play HL2 as valve intended it to be.
/rantoff

send them to alcratraz...that would be appropriate.

Plenty of games have the source stolen, or the alpha copy ripped. Look at Doom III, theres an alpha on all the file sharing sites, that doesn't stop their continuing to develope it though..

the source and the alpha are two very different things. The source shows the very heart of the game and how its put together. Alpha is just a version of the game that was never intended for the public

Originally posted by rec
It can be played, and is. It's just tehcnically not Half-Life 2, it will technically always be a "mod" until the original media files are aquird (let's hope that doesn't happen)

Daiceman9... What about it?

I'm confused. It's my understanding that those who broke into Valve did not acquire any content; i.e. models, textures, sounds, etc. All they have is the code, correct? If that's all they had, then how in the world could they have already made content that's taken Valve up to five years to develop? Unless they're applying original Half-Life graphic textures into Source...I don't see how they have a functional game. Someone please clear this up.

erm the stealing of source code is much rarer then leaked alpha/beta's m8, and its about 100% worse.

The most that could happen is cheat's would be made faster, (which can be countered) and other game companies potentially have acces to Valves secrets like physics, AI, ect.. There really is no reason that the game should be delayed since there is no real techinal flaw.

Originally posted by G·Man
Plenty of games have the source stolen, or the alpha copy ripped. Look at Doom III, theres an alpha on all the file sharing sites, that doesn't stop their continuing to develope it though..

As far as I know, this is the first time the source leaked before the release, and the second time it ever happened to a game (Falcon 4.0 and HL2)

Actually, from IGN a developer for Black Widow games has stated on the message boards that possibly the whole game was stolen. Of course, it is a rumor but I think it is quite possible. I think it would be a rash move for Valve to say the whole game was taken.

Originally posted by G·Man
The most that could happen is cheat's would be made faster, (which can be countered) and other game companies potentially have acces to Valves secrets like physics, AI, ect.. There really is no reason that the game should be delayed since there is no real techinal flaw.
it would be stupid if they did that.

Originally posted by ilove64
Actually, from IGN a developer for Black Widow games has stated on the message boards that possibly the whole game was stolen. Of course, it is a rumor but I think it is quite possible. I think it would be a rash move for Valve to say the whole game was taken.

The whole game is supposed to be out tonight at midnight. I believe thay had to work out steam first.

Well, the entire game can be compiled along with tools like Faceposer and the new version of Hammer. You can use the source engine to play in small, almost textureless maps made by users. It works pretty well actually, there is just very little content available so far, and since there is no documentation people are kind of doing trial and error stuff. But it is the full source code, for the engine at least, since it does work.

Edit: If the whole game was taken, it would be very easy to add the HL2 content to the already available executables, very easy.

FragLand have retracted their comment, claming their source is not reliable. Case closed.

Originally posted by GJaaGular
I really think all of you are funny
We really, really appreciate all your posts here, GJaaGular.

You never know, though. We might just look back at this as a big overreaction.

Originally posted by rec
FragLand have retracted their comment, claming their source is not reliable. Case closed.

Yet halflifesource's radio still claim they're a "reliable source" of information and that we're not, not even stating this website on air.

One day they'll realise that when it comes to this leak and if what gabe said is true, we're the most reliable source bar Gabe himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back