Free Radical closed

Reginald

Reaction score
Apparently staff arrived at the company offices today to find them all locked up.

Which is never a good sign. Especially when there are also security guards posted outside to stop employees from getting in.

We hear that a meeting's taking place about now to explain what's going on, but if it doesn't involve:

a) the closure of the studio, who have developed TimeSplitters, Second Sight & Haze

or at least

b) mass layoffs

We'd be awful surprised. Unless the bosses decided to lock everyone out so they could sort out their secret santa lists. Though that scenario is, admittedly, less likely.

We've contacted Free Radical for comment, and will update when we hear back.

This could turn into a bad day. Source

But Timesplitters 1 - 3 and Second Sight were some of the best games of last generation?

And the pedigree of the team is remarkable too.

EDIT: OH SHIT. This ****ing sucks.

I feel like i've been shot. Today started of well with me finishing uni for the holidays but now this ;(

I'm going to cry ;(

alot
;(;(;(;(;(;(

i really dont believe this......

this is the only place that is saying this so i call BS on this.

"Sources say,"
"Sources say,"
"Sources say,"
"Sources say,"
"Sources say,"

what sources!!!

i really dont believe this......

this is the only place that is saying this so i call BS on this.

"Sources say,"
"Sources say,"
"Sources say,"
"Sources say,"
"Sources say,"

what sources!!!

The only reason other sources haven't picked up on it yet is because of lack of a press release. That's why Kotaku normally get stories first then either confirm or deny them later.

They're not closed they are in administration. I'm not even sure if that's better or not.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/56441

EDIT: Actually now that I think about it this means that the rights to timesplitters will in all probability be sold to someone else :(

I hope Valve buys the studio or something.

We can dream, right?

If Valve buys the studio, Timesplitters 4 will prolly come out in 2017.

A sad day for gamingkind.. but it's hard to feel blue during the holidays.

Boo.

First Massive loose the rights to Ground Control and now this.

Is dark time.

Timesplitters was decent for the PS2... but I wasn't drawn to any of the other games. Maybe they should've quit making endless FPS's.

careometer.gif

Haze was so bad. BOOSH

Is this what you want:
care-o-meter.gif

Bah, ****em in their Golden Eye wannabe asses. No longer will I have to put up with disappointment after disappointment as they fail yet again to find what some of them once found while making GE.

I'll kind of miss Ducks vs. Snowmen, but will get over it in a few minutes.

Samon contemplates informing Warbie that GE is one of the most overrated games in the history of games.

No. No I will not be the one to reveal to him that vista of pure, unimaginable Lovecraftian terror.

Yeah, I'm registering a negative number on the care-o-meter myself. Golden Eye is one of my all time favorites too.

Samon contemplates informing Warbie that GE is one of the most overrated games in the history of games.

No. No I will not be the one to reveal to him that vista of pure, unimaginable Lovecraftian terror.

GE can never be overrated.

****. timesplitters is one of the best multiplayer games to play with a bunch of people over :(

You people had better start getting used to software and games developers dropping like flies. Even the industry giants are cutting serious costs.

So no TimeSplitters 4?

FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

*puts fingers in ears*

la la la, la la la, HL is better than HL2!, la la la !

FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

I knew that was coming, but it was still hilarious.

It would be really cool if Valve picked up Timesplitters though, they're the one company could make it even more awesome than it already is.

Why has no one in this thread brought up how seriously awesome Second Sight was?

and i did love me some TS2 back in the day : (

This is really bad news. They made the best console FPS games of last generation by far. Second Sight was amazing as well.

But then again Haze was an awful game ... maybe something happened to them in between. It wouldn't be the first time ... their predecessor company Rare went from the best developer in the world to average in a single generation. I'd rather have it end now then Timesplitters 4 being as bad as Haze (though that still wasn't as bad as Perfect Dark 0) ... Rare's legacy really went to shit...

I'll admit I didn't give Second Sight as much credit as I should have. Probably because Psi-Ops spoiled me with it's powers and stuff leaving me kind of disappointed with the stuff in Second Sight coupled with some tough sections. Looking back, I wish I still had my ps2. :(

They still haven't confirmed whether or not it's being closed yet though, so let's just hope not.

I'm probably going to get shot for this, but I didn't really like Timespli

they made one good game Scond Sight and people are going crazy over their closure?

Bah, ****em in their Golden Eye wannabe asses. No longer will I have to put up with disappointment after disappointment as they fail yet again to find what some of them once found while making GE.

I'll kind of miss Ducks vs. Snowmen, but will get over it in a few minutes.

GE can never be overrated.

Unless you're Samon, in which case everything is over rated unless its something he liked.

Nah it really was overrated and was even then IMO the only decent game on the N64.

*runs away*

Back