Free Radical closed

To not see what GE did for fps is to be blind!

Before GE, fps didn't have objectives! It was moving from a to b shooting retarded ai along the way - having to find a red key for a red door was as good as it got. It was such a break through i'm amazed that everyone doesn't realise this. You actually had to work what you had to do! It gave you options! Every other fps - and yes, i'm including everything on the PC up to and beyond this point - instantly felt dumbed down and years out of date. It did more for the genre than Doom and, in terms of gameplay, HL (although it's hard to deny that HL didn't bring story telling and set pieces forward by years).

Out went the ridiculous accumulation of ever increasingly powerful weapons and in came an arsenal deadly tools that had a function - the pistol changed from the throw-away weapon of last resort to into John Woo coolness. Timed/remote mines, weapons that could punch through steel, silent kills, security cameras - how can anyone not see this?! GE introducted more to the genre than any other fps. Enemies actually reacted to being shot! - both in behaviour and, more importantly, in feel. Every difficulty setting was balanced (something with is still virtually unheard of) and the multiplayer enough to made Quake look genrations out of date. In every possible way it evolved, innovated and dominated!

And then, admittedly, Timesplitters 1 went back in time again, but 2 really expanded on the whole Multiplayer experience and probably clocked the 2nd most hours of any game last generation amongst me and my friends, just behind Smash Bros., just like GoldenEye did the generation before.

The lack of TS4 in my life right now is hugely upsetting.

custom_1229703267446_4holo_gulch_hank.jpg

custom_1229703351225_particlesplitter01.jpg

custom_1229703382519_zombiejonahwip.jpg

custom_1229703425067_trojan_headbanger.jpg

custom_1229703458627_1chimpalot.jpg

custom_1229703484217_chimpalotconcept.jpg

custom_1229703515955_holo_gulch_hank_concept.jpg

custom_1229703543389_eletankposter.jpg

custom_1229703558036_valchek1-1.jpg

custom_1229703596544_goopsplitter.jpg

custom_1229703636709_suckasplitter.jpg

Dammnit, now I want TS4, just for the multiplayer!

Holy shit, I saw this and thought ''that looks JUST like Valchek from The Wire!'' and as I quoted it, it turns out the file name actually IS Valchek.

Wtf where they doing making Valchek. :LOL:

UPDATE:

Apparently David Doak (GoldenEye, Timesplitters) left the company about a month ago to set up a new company called Pumpkin Beach. Supposedly he didn't want his new game (a non-shooter! :O) to be associated with Haze. Seems reasonable to me.

Anyway, 20 ex-Free Radical employees have found jobs there meaning the cream of the crop from Free Radical are still working on games together. If FR have indeed gone into liquidation, the Timesplitters franchise can be bought up by a publisher. And whichever publisher buys it (EA?) can then dole it right back out to Pumpkin Beach. Although that last bit may be too much to ask for...

Still, every cloud has a silver lining.

Haha, Doak. Dr. Doak.

*suddenly wants to play Facility more than ever before*

No Timesplitters 4? Shit, shit, shit. Timesplitters 2 remains the best fps on the PS2. Many a happy memory playing it with my friends.

They're not closed they are in administration. I'm not even sure if that's better or not.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/56441

EDIT: Actually now that I think about it this means that the rights to timesplitters will in all probability be sold to someone else :(

Unless a mysterious financier from the darkest corners of the Earth buys them out; or at the very least donates money

But to be fair, I have never played any of their games. I actually thought Haze was coming to PC, but never did

Back