FX 5**0 and DirectX 9

EC

Reaction score
Ok, as many of you probably know, there is a problem with the FX cards, and rendering water in DirectX 9. It just plain doesn't show up, unless you get eye-level with the water.
If anyone out there has figured out how to correct this problem (without changing video cards, or switching to DirectX 8.1) I would be greatly appreciative. Or, if someone knows for a fact that this cannot be fixed, go ahead and break the bad news. I'm planning on buying an ATi Radeon 9800 Pro on Ebay sometime anyways.

well with my 5600 (a waste of f**king space) i get the water but I'm pretty sure it's set to DX8.0 level. It runs fine and displays all the bump-mapping etc. - when I change it to DX9.0 the water doesn't display like yours. If i were you I would get the 9800pro - I picked up mine for 130 quid, so thats about 270 USD? Heh, I'm not sure if thats cheap over there, but look around and if you're prepared to make the extra price hike I'm sure you can find a 9800XT 256MB knocking around for about 190 quid.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't read you post properly lol, But when i switch from DX8.1 to DX9.0 there is NO noticable difference on the walls, floor, tiles bump-mapping etc. - all it does for me is slow it down, and make the water display incorrectly (well not at all)

I wouldn't count on in it.

The FX series has some pretty bad visual problems. I'm willing to bet that Valve wants to maintain a certain visual "standard" in order for you to get the full HL2 experience. They feel that the visual quality of HL2 is diminished if you run a FX card in DX 9 mode. So they have spent more time making sure the FX cards will run in DX 8 mode instead of DX 9.

However, you will have to wait until Valve releases HL2 to find out for sure what is up with DX 9 and the FX series of cards. Theoretically, DX 9 should work on those cards.

Just wait for the optimised source. It will probably look a bit better then :)

If you buy a 9800 over a 6800 NU, i will personally come to the land of kiwis and bonk you over the head with a tackhammer

Ok, if you're so insistant over me buying a 6800, then give me some money to help me out here. I still have to have money to buy a car, gas, insurance, not to mention other stuff.

well it was kinda obvious you where going to say that :p.

i was an Nvidia fanboy but then ATI fixed thier drivers and i am going to get an ATI soon. the 9800 xt is good, just dont get a cheaper x800.

wait, what? an x800 is cheaper than a 9800XT? well that's a newsflash!

I have a 5600 mobile and it blows for framerates. Try using these in an autoexec.cfg:
mat_bumpmap "0"
mat_specular "0"
mat_antialias "0"
mat_forceaniso "0"
mat_trilinear "1"
r_shadows "0"
r_3dnow "0"
r_sse "1"
r_mmx "1"
r_dynamic "0"

That should add a good 20 fps to your game. It will look like quake 1 however =P

I have a 5900ultra
in directx 81 mode i average 120 fps

i figured out how to get dx90 to work with proper reflections.

but i average 40 fps now

heres how:
edit the launch options so the game starts with these 2 commands:

Code:
-dxlevel 90 -clipz 1
once in the game open the console and type:

Code:
mat_clipz 1

set the video settings to reflect all and run the VST and viola!!!

T.H.C.138 said:
6800GT...No problems

yea no problems cause the 6xxx series FULLY supports dx9, FX cards were supposed to, but NIVIDA is a lying night prostitute!

sorry for the double-post but i have a FX5700VE (256mb)and in the advanced menu it says that my hardware is set on DX 9.0... and in the stresstest i looks like DX9 water (i know that theres only a small difference but its there) so ... i dunno if its just a few brands of cards but mine 5700 is running on DX 9 alright..
also this little trick took about 20 FPS... :O so only use it when you have a good system...(again i dont need it b/c mine already runs on DX9 ingame)

Camon_Draconis said:
I have a 5900ultra
in directx 81 mode i average 120 fps

i figured out how to get dx90 to work with proper reflections.

but i average 40 fps now

heres how:
edit the launch options so the game starts with these 2 commands:

Code:
-dxlevel 90 -clipz 1
once in the game open the console and type:

Code:
mat_clipz 1

set the video settings to reflect all and run the VST and viola!!!

yea no problems cause the 6xxx series FULLY supports dx9, FX cards were supposed to, but NIVIDA is a lying night prostitute!

That didn't help me, but thanks anyways. I guess I'm just going to have to wait until I get enough money for my 9800.

Edit: OMG, I set mat_clipz to 0, and it WORKED! I don't know how it's different from you, but it worked! Thanks for the command!

damn, sooooo close to switching to ATI. Oh well, everyone will at some point. lol.

Camon_Draconis said:
NIVIDA is a lying night prostitute!

Couldn't agree more.

EC said:
That didn't help me, but thanks anyways. I guess I'm just going to have to wait until I get enough money for my 9800.

Edit: OMG, I set mat_clipz to 0, and it WORKED! I don't know how it's different from you, but it worked! Thanks for the command!

hahah oops, that last line was supposed to be mat_clipz 0

lol

OK i know i am going to get flamed for this, but, ok here goes; my computer started restarting when playing the sims 2. I refuse to roll back drivers, anyways when are the 4.10's comin out? don't they come out every month?

ok woopsydaises, wrong thread guys, ignore top post, I was on the wrong tab ;)

ATI4EVER! said:
OK i know i am going to get flamed for this, but, ok here goes; my computer started restarting when playing the sims 2. I refuse to roll back drivers, anyways when are the 4.10's comin out? don't they come out every month?

flame flame flame flame flame flame flame flame flame flame flame flame flame flame flame flame flame flame flame flame flame flame flame flame flame flame flame flame flame flame flame flame

ATI4EVER! said:
damn, sooooo close to switching to ATI. Oh well, everyone will at some point. lol.
Oh, Don't worry, I still plan on getting a 9800. :) Although, I absolutely cannot complain about this card. It was a birthday present to me from my dad. Besides, it was a great upgrade no matter what. I was upgrading from a GeForce2 MX400.

Thanks for helpin me out guys. This is truly one of the greatest forums, both regulars and staff. <3

Edit: #400 for me! Yay!

OMG it works, but it f's everything else up and gives me -49364398609 fps so ill just play w/o it.

EC said:
Ok, if you're so insistant over me buying a 6800, then give me some money to help me out here. I still have to have money to buy a car, gas, insurance, not to mention other stuff.

www.newegg.com

9800xt = $303

6800 non ultra = $289

I think you can figure it out from there.

Dirk Pitt said:
www.newegg.com

9800xt = $303

6800 non ultra = $289

I think you can figure it out from there.
Hrm... apparently you don't seem to understand my problem. I'm a highschooler (senior) who doesn't have a car, doesn't have a job at the moment, and is going off to college next year. I can't really be getting top of the line stuff. This is why I'm hitting up ebay for a 9800Pro. It performs just fine and dandy in HL2, which is what my main goal is.
Is we all cleared up now? :)

nice.....

look this is what I think anything above 9500 (so starting at 9600) is fine OK? I know that it doesn't sound as good, but it really is. And they are quite a lot cheaper! I am VERY satisfied with my 9600XT, ppl diss it sometimes and in my head I'm just like "Fcuck you ashole!" becasue it is a very good card, and will pump out above 30fps in HL2 when EVERYTHING is set on highest lvl in dx9 mode. So i think that the 9600 is good enough. But that's just me.

If I were you I'd get a 6600 GT AGP. $200, 500mhz core, 1000mhz memory, 8 pixel pipelines. sexy :naughty:

Back