Half Life 2: DirectX 8.0/8.1 Water Reflection Patch, All Need to know Info Inside

C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\ <your steam username here> \half-life 2\hl2

in this folder, if there is a materials folder, extract the patch there. if there's no materials folder, create one. (there wasn't a materials folder for me)..

glad to see this stickied!

Yes, but, surely there are some posts that don't deserve to be stickied, but yet are posts about things that are frequently posted on the forums?

In otherwords, isn't it better to bump an old thread, rather than have 4 threads over the course of 4 days about the exact same topic pop up, simply because the previous ones fell off the first page?

As for saying "use search" that's like saying abstinence is a good form of contraceptive advice.

Lanthanide said:
As for saying "use search" that's like saying abstinence is a good form of contraceptive advice.
I take it that you do not think abstinence is an effective contraceptive? What kind of nonsense are you on about, boy! Or are you one of these out of control teenagers who doesn't think self-control is an admirable quality?

That aside, here's the thing: If you want to "bump" a thread then try composing something more meaningful and interesting than "Bump!".

Mountain Man said:
I take it that you do not think abstinence is an effective contraceptive? What kind of nonsense are you on about, boy! Or are you one of these out of control teenagers who doesn't think self-control is an admirable quality?
It means saying "just don't have sex" without informing them about any kind of contraceptive is not an effective way to stop people from having children by accident. They will have sex whether or not you say "don't have sex" and, since they haven't been informed about the use of contraceptives, they will be doing it unprotected. You must say something like "try not to have sex... but if you do, don't forget to wear a condom."

I don't quite see how that relates to using the search button... because there isn't really an alternative that can be used to see if something has been posted before without going through and reading all of the threads (and that's just not going to happen).

well if you reasd througut this thread, and infact this here.

well i do keep bumping it (hint hint ) lol. but shortly i get th efeeling if i keep bumping it the mods are gonna delete teh thread due to excessive bumpage. so im relucatant to just keep posting BUMP.

so i tend to bump with a message, or a reply to one of you guys

as opposed to haveing post after post of BUMP. B-U-M-P Bumperoo e

I DId do exactly as you recommend, i kept the thread bumped by reponding to other peoples posts, or updated news on teh patch. But thats by the by, and in all honesty i didnt even think about Sending a PM to the Mods. so thats my bad, so the only way i culd keep this topic aflot of all teh "how do i get the blue grav gun" threads, i kept replying.

but anyways it doesnt matter, the thread is stickied thanks to dark elf, so all those DX8/8.1 people can try out teh cool water refelctions.

p.s.

I dont evn have hl2 yet :(

Xmas :D

no
unless you think it may improve your performance by forcing DX8.1 and using the refelctions

I have a 9600XT, out of curiosity I tried this patch in DX 8.1, I get about the same performance as in DX 9. However without the patch, I get about 10 more fps in DX 8 than DX 9. But I just can't live without my reflective water. :|

well if theres no performance gain, via DX 8.1 plus patch then theres no reason to veer away from DX9 tbh.

this patch mainly benefits the FX users who are forced in to dx8.1 or the low end cards.

I'm a little confused on this, but maybe it's just my system performance.

I haven't downloaded this patch because I have DX9.0, but I get no water reflection at all. Here are my specs

Athlon 3200
Geforce 4, 64Mb (Came with system and haven't saved up for a better one yet)
512Mb Ram

I try changing the settings to reflect world but it just changes back. Is my system not capable of this feature? I've been looking around the forum for the answer, but this is the closest thread I've found so far.

Juxton said:
I'm a little confused on this, but maybe it's just my system performance.

I haven't downloaded this patch because I have DX9.0, but I get no water reflection at all. Here are my specs

Athlon 3200
Geforce 4, 64Mb (Came with system and haven't saved up for a better one yet)
512Mb Ram

I try changing the settings to reflect world but it just changes back. Is my system not capable of this feature? I've been looking around the forum for the answer, but this is the closest thread I've found so far.

I'm pretty sure that card doesn't support DX9. Just because you have installed DX9 doesn't mean the card will be able to utilize all of it's features. Don't know if that card supports DX8, I think it does though. Try that patch and see what happens.

well im not being a smart arse, but, on the first post i did list compatible cards. this patch is for G force 4 TI and up (or equivilant ATI)

and there is a distinct difference between your software DX9 and your hardware DX9. Everyone (well most people) have Microsofts Direct X 9c Installed on their computers. but Just because its installed doesnt mean your Graphics cards supports all of the DX9 Features.

as to teh normal mapping, no unfortunatly not, this is water reflection only. (theres been talk of possibly trying to emulate the normal mapping (dont see how it can be done though)). If you want ALL DX9 features and your Card (FX) is forced to run in DX 8.1 your still going to have to do teh vendor ID trick to force DX9. this just makes the Biggest Difference between DX9 and DX8.1 (the water) and makes it available to those forced in DX8.0/8.1

Can someone relink to this patch please?!? The link at the start no longer works and I want to doanload this patch! :(

I've googled it and cant find it anywhere!

Back