FX5200 128DDR how good will run

X

XenoSpirit

I thought about radeons before i got a nuther (sexy) Nvidia but since evreyone i know has had trub, i passed on the 9800 series so i have a FX 5200 128DDR RAM i know HL2 will run on my comp but i want to know hOW gOoD :) :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: i want a performance / quallity summery

No details available - model aka wassent a pre built my dad had his friend build it

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1 (build 2600)

2.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

80.03 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
53.59 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

ATAPI CD-ROM 52X
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Disk Device (80.04 GB) -- drive 0

Board: ABIT~number removed~Rev:1.0
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 11/06/2001

256 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 256 MB
Slot 'A1' is Empty

c: (on drive 0) 80.03 GB 53.59 GB free

i want like resaloutions / frame rate aka i dont want a nuther DX:IW piss poor game... lazy ionstorm ~ :monkee: zaps ionstorm :afro: ~ :LOL: :devil:

Wait, you passed up a 9800 to get a FX5200!?!?!?!?

gahhh........

anyway, there are HL2 benchmarks from awhile back that demonstrated the FX5200 ultra getting ~10FPS in DX9 on a 3GHz at 1024x768x32..

I don't believe that holds as much merit as it did, since the drivers have been improved, and I'm sure that special nVidia codepath has been better tweaked and the game has been better optimized

No one truely knows the numbers you'll get on your system, but they certainly won't be high running max details with that card, you'll probably be okay running in DX8 mode under HL2, though

You passed a 9800 for a 5200? I am the first one to call you stupid....If I had a choice between my FX5600XT and a 9800 pro or not, I would get it...

Shuzer said:
Wait, you passed up a 9800 to get a FX5200!?!?!?!?

gahhh........

anyway, there are HL2 benchmarks from awhile back that demonstrated the FX5200 ultra getting ~10FPS in DX9 on a 3GHz at 1024x768x32..

I don't believe that holds as much merit as it did, since the drivers have been improved, and I'm sure that special nVidia codepath has been better tweaked and the game has been better optimized

No one truely knows the numbers you'll get on your system, but they certainly won't be high running max details with that card, you'll probably be okay running in DX8 mode under HL2, though

Well also you have to realize, people won't run it with all details, so like on my 5600xt I will be disabling shaders or lowering them and a few other things, and will run 1024x768. I think I should do ok on medium details, I don't expect to run it at full details though, because I know the video card won't handle it, but its a lot better than my freaking geforce 4 mx 440, thats for sure.

IMO, bad decision... my little brother owns a Geforce 5200FX.... I bought it for him since he plays "kiddy games" like Diablo 2, Half-Life (and mods mostly, CS)... you know stuff that you dont need power to run.......
Im not knocking The FX range, just ... bad move if you like playing decent games :) I guess money was a factor though, (the 5200 costs a fraction of the 9800 pro)
the 5200 has trouble with Battlefield (it runs, but wow what a difference, when we get together for LAN, I cant even watch him play... it makes me sick)

so i wont even beable to run hl2 at 800x600 with 20+ frames? and shaders?

whats FX 5950 256 ultra / pro9800 256 i wana know witch ones guna run evreything the best mabee ile have an upgrade done at Christmass :flame:...

whats the priceing on both -.-...

oh yeah if the min specs on hl 2 is DX 6 and a 733 mhz P4... why would i only get 10 fps?

TrinityXero said:
so i wont even beable to run hl2 at 800x600 with 20+ frames? and shaders?

No one knows for sure. I'd say you'll be fine at 800x600 and medium settings

im checking out the radon9800XT it looks nice but its kinda pricey X.X once im 16 i think ile get a summer job... for somereson i think my dad is like a nvidia loyalist fan or somethin and raised me as like "Nvidia #1 thare is no outher"~ no offensive but i just want a card thats guna make all the games go faster... DX9/10 :) i noticed that chart thing up a the top and i think ima get a 9800XT 256 at Cmas -.-

5200's with using full DX9 get very few fps in heavy dx9 games.
That's why there are special paths programed (for the FX series) so they do better.
Actually if you can find ways to just play the game in dx8 then you should have enough fps i would think.

mrBadger said:
Don't buy an XT, go Pro, and OC :)
Radeon9800Pro 256? oh yeah ppl in this thread helped me with a similar problem... DX:IW... i was looking for like a DX9 / 8 switch button but i looked in shadows... and all thows lighting affects and shadows where MAXED so thats why my game ran like crap lol but back to Vcards / HL2... whats the 9800 pro got that the XT dousent? i only design single player lvl in world craft and rot my brain from 3pm to 2 am... aka i just want he best card thare is for GAMEING and only gameing... -.- ps i fixed my FX5200... i just hit the lil button that says restore default settings HAHAHAAH stupid me duno why i dint push thatsooner oh well... this forums been a big help to me :) probly woodnt have fixed the card w/o it ne ways reply here with the best gameing card... thats UNDER $399.00 ~forgive my cheap grammer lol~

TrinityXero said:
Radeon9800Pro 256? oh yeah ppl in this thread helped me with a similar problem... DX:IW... i was looking for like a DX9 / 8 switch button but i looked in shadows... and all thows lighting affects and shadows where MAXED so thats why my game ran like crap lol but back to Vcards / HL2... whats the 9800 pro got that the XT dousent? i only design single player lvl in world craft and rot my brain from 3pm to 2 am... aka i just want he best card thare is for GAMEING and only gameing... -.- ps i fixed my FX5200... i just hit the lil button that says restore default settings HAHAHAAH stupid me duno why i dint push thatsooner oh well... this forums been a big help to me :) probly woodnt have fixed the card w/o it ne ways reply here with the best gameing card... thats UNDER $399.00 ~forgive my cheap grammer lol~

Not even, just the plain old 128, more memory is not NEARLY worth the price. Plus you can get them for like $205 online now. The FX 5900 can be had for even less but isn't quite the same performance wise. Those are your two best buys. The 9600 Pro and XT are also pretty good values but with decreased speed.

ok, jsut wondering Trinity, but im guessing english isnt your first language is it?

but anyway, i would recomend a 9800pro 128mb. you can get them as cheap as £150, and i think in america just under $200. the 9800pro will do great ( hopefully *crosses fingers* ) in games like halflife 2.

9800 pro is temping i know... and im thinkin about it... PS english is my 1st language but i just live on my comp so i dont care aslong as my point gets across... lol hmm i wana learn japanese

I belive the HL2 blink videos where run on a P4 2.6ghz with a stock 9800 np 128 and 512meg of ram.

5200 is NOT the way to go. terrible card, absolutely horrible. i sold my old one for 40 bucks. sell that thing and buy a 9800 pro. thats what a i did. the 5200 is a complete piece of junk when it comes to dx9 titles. i tried it on halo for a little before i installed my 9800 pro. i had to turn everything off and run it at 800 x 600 to get playable framerates. i know nobody uses 3dmark anymore, but just to show you a comparison of what changing my vid card did. i had the 5200 fx, got a 2200 with the thing overclocked to the max. with the 9800 pro i get scores over 5000 with almost no overclocking. if you want to play hl2 with shaders and atleast half the goodies turned on looking pretty good, do not keep that card my friend. i would definitely invest in a 9800 series card or the 9600 xt. those things are dropping in price big time.

Back