fy_Ambush, complete release

U

uberDingo

This is a map I've created myself. It's a small map with lots of action that starts right off the bat. Enough buildings and such on the map to use different points of attack and strategy but small enough to keep other players from getting bored waiting for the round to end. And to boot it's got great framerates and I've tweeked the navigation mesh by hand to help bots run. It's only a 2.17 meg download in RAR form .

I'd be flattered if you took a look at it and give me your opinions... I'd be doubly psyched if it got added to a server rotation. I plan on submitting it to a CS:S mapping contest that's coming up.

Thanks & Cheers,
uberDingo

map
http://www.roadtripauctions.com/moc/fy_Ambush.rar (2.17 mb)

screenshots
http://www.roadtripauctions.com/moc/ambush1a1.jpg (43k)
http://www.roadtripauctions.com/moc/ambush1a2.jpg (39k)
http://www.roadtripauctions.com/moc/ambush1a3.jpg (39k)
http://www.roadtripauctions.com/moc/ambush1a4.jpg (41k)

Oh god it's just so ugly. You need to match stuff better together. Sure you have loads of shapes on your walls/cealings and that's encouraged; But only if it fits. Most of what's in there doesn't.

Dead-Inside said:
Oh god it's just so ugly. You need to match stuff better together. Sure you have loads of shapes on your walls/cealings and that's encouraged; But only if it fits. Most of what's in there doesn't.

Man shut the **** up your last piece of shit map looked like ass, so don't even talk to people about how maps look. The only problem with that map is that it's too dark, like most custom maps. Just brighten it up and it wont look so gloomy.

Yeah i agre with thug, nice map a bit dark but well worth a play, will download when i get a chance :D

A couple more props inside for cover and movement, and some light and your on the path to a good start. Keep up the work!

Its fun to have people in here mapping, and doing more maps, soon enuf we'll all be churning out masterpieces :p

My map will be out soon, im tweaking the lighting etc..

"cs_bank"

lol i was thinking of doing a bank map, however I started on my cs_747

The map looks pretty sweet, and that cs_747 map better look nice....or else =P

The lighting doesn't match the skybox at all. Either brighten up your light_environment(especially ambient light) or change your skybox texture. If you do the latter make sure you add some additional lighting because it is indeed very dark. The texturing all around is pretty simplistic and vague but I didn't see anything wrong per se. Also the architecture is fairly boxy like you hollowed out a cube and threw some props in it. Not quite as bad as a killbox, but I'm sure you could break it up a little more to remove the squareness of it all.

Too bad we can't vote to ban people like Dead-Inside. I think he's actually an obese 12 year old who's stuck in his computer chair... he uses this forum to vent his frustration. Anyway, the map looks awesome -- screenshots always turn out darker than the actual gameplay for some reason. Keep up the excellent work.

THUGENSTEIN said:
Man shut the **** up your last piece of shit map looked like ass, so don't even talk to people about how maps look. The only problem with that map is that it's too dark, like most custom maps. Just brighten it up and it wont look so gloomy.

Okay look, shitforbrains, I comment on others maps constructivly.
Indeed I did start off my post with "Well, what can I say. It looks like shit", because honestly it did. The last SS you posted looked a lot better and you're definently on the right track.

Now shut up and be a better person, just walk away.

Note: Think what you want of my map, just keep it to yourself. You've made your point.

Edit: Back on topic. Most of the shapes for the walls, etc, can be done in a much nicer fashion with Source. It looks like a HL1 map when it comes to that and well... It could just be a lot better. Try using displacements for a lot of shapes. Cheap to render, great results.

it is a lot brighter when you play then the screenshots show ;)

At least dead inside is honest and gives some good c&c.... cause it really aint that pretty.

Also the most apparent thing to me is the sky map.. it just doesnt fit in..
aslo you need to work on the textures.

well... it's not really supposed to be 'pretty'. I based it off architecture in typical Iraqi cities. It's a lot brighter in game then it shows in screenshots (they're quit a bit darker for some reason). As far as textures go, I did what I could with what I had available... maybe I'll bust out the canon and create some custom textuers ;P. Again trying to stick with realism there arent a lot of different textures on the outside of those sand/stone buildings in many parts of the middle east. I did give the inside of the mosque a number of different tiled textures which I thought looked pretty nice, but maybe not hehe.

I could add some buildings and such into the skybox to give it some depth but I was trying to get this done by a deadline. Now I guess I have more time to get back to it.

Dead-inside, what things do you think don't fit?

Back