fy_rooftops

GordonfreeMAN

Reaction score
this is a wip.
what do you think....good idea ....dose it look good ...ideas on how i can inprove it...

Attachments

• FY_ROOFTOPS.jpg
    FY_ROOFTOPS.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 372
Thicken up the walls... ah... don't bother, do what Pes said.

mayby add a sun instead of lights, its makes it look a bit more realistic.

Not to say you did a terrible job, but its not very realistic.

its not ment to be realistic.
ow and pes and six you guys are ass holes.
i guess the only thing you guys have to do is bash new mapers.
i know iam not vary good but iam becomeing a little better.

Practice more before you release any maps. A LOT more. You'll always be embarrassed about those first shitty maps you released otherwise.

iam not relaseing it i was simple asking how i can inprove it..
its far from being done....IT IS A W I P...

well, most people tend to be... "Ass Holes" on these forums with new mappers, i dont know why, because some time we were all are new... maybe it makes them feel better :rolleyes:. Anyways good luck with your future maps, and dont uninstall hammer, you will get better in time.

-Icewolf717

well, most people tend to be... "Ass Holes" on these forums with new mappers, i dont know why, because some time we were all are new... maybe it makes them feel better . Anyways good luck with your future maps, and dont uninstall hammer, you will get better in time.
It's just the spammers that have a few friends here, so they seem to think they own the forums. Can you say ego?

@GordonfreeMAN: There's a rooftop map for UT2003, that could give you ideas for anything you could add.

Jumpads from roof-to-roof are an obvious one.

the second map is better but you are getting there.

try and make the stand alone walls less lonely and maybe add some props.

sweet that will make a good map, you could even make some rooms in the buildings

Pesmerga said:
That looks really, really bad. Please uninstall hammer.

Whoa must be the biggest dork I've seen here so far!

Work on mapping and work work work and you will soon make awsome maps! I like the one you got so far but you need to work more. Don't be afraid to test new things! Don't forget to save now and then!

It looks much better now I think, but just because its an fy map doesn't mean you can throw realism and what is logical out the window. For instance, use a light_enviroment instead of a bunch of light entities, or have some lamps and spot lights.

With the bridges you could have some supports holding up the middle or something like that. Push yourself with the map, dont just slap some brushes on there and say you did good.

Don't flame someone because of a map they made.
If you're a worse map maker than they are, then you are an idiot.
If you don't make maps, then don't complain.
If you make better maps, then you're annoyingly arrogant.

The poorer map makers should see a better map and take notes
The non-map makers should see the map and think "well, I would/wouldn't play that for these reasons"
The better map makers should see the poorer map and offer help.

bliink said:

The non-map makers should see the map and think "well, I would/wouldn't play that for these reasons"

thank you ...

GordanFreeMAN, do we have an update? Can't wait to see the changes you have made. :farmer:

Nice work so far.

Some people are indeed arrogent bastards who can't conceive the difficulty of learning how to map with Hammer.

Kyo said:
Nice work so far.

Some people are indeed arrogent bastards who can't conceive the difficulty of learning how to map with Hammer.

'Tis not that hard if you can read tutorials..

Limpet said:
Some stuff tutorials don't teach you

Tutorials can teach you the basics and much more, the rest is common sense and an inventive mind.

SixThree said:
Tutorials can teach you the basics and much more, the rest is common sense and an inventive mind.

Oh it's a lot more than that. Common sense and an inventive mind won't help you master the I/O system to it's full extent.

It takes years to produce top quality pieces of work just like any other hobby or career.

bliink said:

Hey...maybe you should tell Pes that. Or maybe not, don't want to get private messages about how you're an ass because you told him off. Thats right Pes $@#! YOU.

Anyway, nice map! i think it'll be fun when it's done. Not to sound like a broken record, but yea, light_enviroment, props and decals... maybe graffiti on the buildings themselves?

That's better. Just an idea, your could replace the wall(brick) textures by a sky instead.

Yeah looks better.
But I'm assuming you're going to have buy zones right? Well it kind of sucks that as soon as the round starts you can throw a flash, HE, or whatever into the enemy spawn. So maybe you could have like a sun roof type thing over the spawns or add a few more buildings.
Also I think you can shoot through those walls.

i had it sky first but it was to bright so i replaced it with brick...
You can change the brightness of the light_environment, you know. Plus you could use a 3dskybox to add other buildings so your map doesn't look so barren.

Limpet said:
Yeah looks better.
But I'm assuming you're going to have buy zones right? Well it kind of sucks that as soon as the round starts you can throw a flash, HE, or whatever into the enemy spawn. So maybe you could have like a sun roof type thing over the spawns or add a few more buildings.
Also I think you can shoot through those walls.

You can change the brightness of the light_environment, you know. Plus you could use a 3dskybox to add other buildings so your map doesn't look so barren.

will do ...
i have buy zones in place all ready...so..yea

I like the idea of fighting on rooftops...
I have some tips I hope will inspire you more...

- watch Enemy of the State... it has gorgeous images of rooftops..
- do some googling or research to find what stuff goes on rooftops that you can use to create obstackles
- use fog or mist so players cannot see the ground...
- dont put up walls on top of roofs... use props like airco equipment, satellite dishes, antennas, elevatorhouses, rooftopentrances, etc, etc for players to hide behind.
- Alter the height of the rooftops

and perhaps most important:
- come up with a layout of the routes players can take... you can let them go from rooftop to rooftop via ladders, or wooden planks or think of stuff. And make sure the CT's and T's don't see each other right at the start of the map.

update--

here the first test of the entrance to the roofs.
there will be one on both sides.

Attachments

• fy_rooftops bui.jpg
    fy_rooftops bui.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 262
ok update added buildings where the ct's and t's spawn and a fuw props to the roofs and some texture changes..

what do you think..

Attachments

• fy_rooftops 4.jpg
    fy_rooftops 4.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 237
Back