G-man 56k download!

Hey Munro, or anyone with moderating powers. What do guys say to hosting this file in the download section?

Very cool of you Northwood :)
I'm not on 56k but I've been there so I know how it is.
Very cool!

and I agree with Mulinator. 1/2 size divx vids seems reasonable bandwidth-wise.

Half life2.net should host your files to save on your bandwidth. Its not like they have any other media to advertise, and it would make the site look better.

I would love to host it but I don't have a lot of bandwidth at the moment ;(

Originally posted by Northwood83
The way I encode with Divx3 makes that not possible. I can make a 10 meg 1024x574 file but the audio will not sync unless you have a massive high end comp (I have 1.8ghz,geforce3, with 512 megs of rambus)and mine even lags. Divx3 cant really handle resolutions above 900 too well. Someone did make a divx5 keeping the same resolution, its like 29 megs. Ill keep working with it but dont expect it to work.

As for quality, it can never be the same as the bink. Re-encoding always loses some quality. Its simply not possible to retain the exact same quality as the bink. I could come close though but the file would be around 29 megs, making it not ideal for 56k'ers.

so a 10meg version at twice the size of this gman vid wouldnt be possible? it looks great and im really happy it doesnt lag/skip like the bink video does (also that its in my native res and not at a 60hz default i cant change) but so it couldnt be twice the size? little bit less clear when its fullscreen than the bink vid. overall though, from 70megs jittery to 5megs fluid, looks excellent, thanks VERY much!

and on another note, check the audio for the next videos from their source, maybe 160/192kbit might be better but i dont know how the audio will be from their source.

thanks!

128 is fine for videos. Most Mp3's you'll download are 128, doing it in 160 or higher just adds to the size needlessly.

Actually it is possible and I have it on my harddrive right now, I just think that its not worth uploading it. Im sure everyone has the bink video version by now if they wanted higher quality.

You fussy bastards!

Northwood has done us all a big favour, his version is great, he's done a brilliant job. If you want a higher resolution/ better quality, shut up, stop moaning and download the original file.

I say good job and leave the others exactly in exactly the same format as the G-man one.

"fussy bastards" Wow, the forum becomes better and better.

can't you see the sarcasm in that?

thx a bunch, man. that's the first video i've seen of anything Half Life 2. it seems the world's out to screw us 56kers.

and is it just me, or does the G-man look and sound like William H. Macy as Bill Porter in Door to Door?

thx a bunch, man. that's the first video i've seen of anything Half Life 2. it seems the world's out to screw us 56kers.
lol dunno where you get that... man, I remember dlin mechwarrior 3 on 56k back in '98, it was 50mb... it seemed like it took ages for each %; now I dl 1.6gb games and dvds on 56k; as long as you don't have a limit to how long you can stay on 56k per month or if you're not paying by the minute, and you can keep the line occupied 24/7, then you have no excuse to not dl 100mb+ files :p

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

PAUL YOUR IN BIG TROUBLE, YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT KIND OF DAMAGE YOU HAVE DONE TO OUR BANDWIDTH.

bleh, im sorry bro, i just don't have the bandwidth for the whole world

Back