G-Man Appearances

el Chi

Reaction score
I read in the PCZone HL2 review that apparently the G-Man turns up in HL1 on about 50 separate times. Is this true? When/where are they? I can't think of more than 10...

I doubt that he appeared 50 times, that would be too much, he only appeared several times if I remember correctly, which was just the right amount. It left you wondering, "Who is this guy? What is he up to? Why is he here?".

10 is probably a closer estimate, i'd go with 7-8 to be honest..

Mabye they included Opposing Force and Blue Shift in the count?
Although that would probably only make 20 or something...

i didnt see him at all in opposing force or blue shift...

except the end of course, smart guy

Wraith said:
i didnt see him at all in opposing force or blue shift...

except the end of course, smart guy

He was only in one time in BS. He had no interest in Barney. In Op4 he was in a lot of times, maybe 10. In HL maybe 10-15.

It's nice though how you can replay HL and OF and catch him in places you hadn't seen before. I really missed most sightings the first time playing HL :(.

I so love the GMan :).

Let's do the list, you know you all want to.

HL:
Train-ride
AM: Lab with prof.
US: Coolant lab
OC: Door somewhere near scientist falling off elevator
Incoming Hostiles: Overwalk in the fire doors Silo D area
Power Up: Track control room
Lambda Comp: Big headcrab filled room
End Game: Well...

OpFor:
Osprey evac scene
Radioactive waste filling/platform braking room
End game: Duh...

Blue Shift:
On route to broken elevator.

Let's fill it in!

AJ Rimmer said:

HL:
Train-ride

OpFor:
Osprey evac scene

Blue Shift:

Let's fill it in!

Heh, this is turning into "Where's Waldo". :LOL:

What we need is screenshots of the G-man in his various locations. I thought he appears once in every level.

Nope, not every level. Alright, Anomalous Materials I remember him (talking to scientist), next Unforeseen Consequences he's at one point watching you, in Office Complex behind a door towards end of the level, We've Got Hostiles he's on a catwalk before the first soldier. Blast Pit, I'm pretty sure he's nowhere to be found, then he's on Power Up as you enter the level when Grunts battle the Garg...

OpFor: Training level: Talking with soldier on second story.

AJ Rimmer said:

HL:
Train-ride

OpFor:
Osprey evac scene

Blue Shift:

Let's fill it in!

about "Incoming Hostiles: Overwalk in the fire doors Silo D area"
The chaper is not "Incoming Hostiles" it's "We've got hostiles" and the G-man wasn't there.... I remember the whole chapter.. i think you got confused with barney

Half-Life:
1. Train-ride
2. AM: Lab with prof.
3. US: Coolant lab
4. OC: Door somewhere near scientist falling off elevator
5. Incoming Hostiles: Overwalk in the fire doors Silo D area
6. Power Up: Track control room
7. Lambda Comp: Big headcrab filled room
8. End of the game
9. and he also was found at 2 loadings before the level where we get ambushed (When you enter a room and everything is becoming dark, the next thing you see is two soldiers dragging you)

Half-Life: Opposing Force:
1. When we come to a door with a bad scanner and we see the G-man talks with barney then he gets into the elevator
2. Later on... We find our self in trouble when the whole place is being filled with some kind of rediaction metirial and the G-man decided to open the door for us (How kind of him...)
3. Then the Evic Osprey... he (appreantly) shut the door so we won't be able to leave the facility (How kind of him...)
4. When he reactivated the Nuclear Bomb 2 loadings before the last creator
5. When we fell or something (I don't remember) into a big trashcan with water and some boxes; when you fall you can see the g-man behind a window at your right
6. At the Bridge Tower - There was a big creator at the middle of Bridge and we supposed to get to other side and push the button to make this creator detonate.
7. End of the game

Blue-Shift:
Only once: When we were going to the elevator.

(It's all i remember)

You're right, it's we've got hostiles but I'm sure he is there on a cement overwalk.

I'm playing through the game right now and Im trying to see how many times he actually is, I didnt play the first level, I skipped through that :) but here is what I have so far, since
oldfaq

Attachments

• c2a10000.jpg
    c2a10000.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 445
  • c1a3d0001.jpg
    c1a3d0001.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 409
  • c1a2b0000.jpg
    c1a2b0000.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 401
  • c2a3b0000.jpg
    c2a3b0000.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 381
His apperance in that piston room is hard to spot. You get attacked by Bullsquids as you enter the room, and the GMan moves away fast.

mirageacg said:
I doubt that he appeared 50 times, that would be too much, he only appeared several times if I remember correctly, which was just the right amount. It left you wondering, "Who is this guy? What is he up to? Why is he here?".

When is he going to make a reappearance ? :p

Solver said:
His apperance in that piston room is hard to spot. You get attacked by Bullsquids as you enter the room, and the GMan moves away fast.

He's also in that room full of headcrabs and they don't attack him (Creepy). I'm talking about in the Lambda complex

Yeah, in the little side hall.
Walks into the teleporter.

Hmm, interesting little plot thing I just noticed: This is the first time I was aware he was in power up (thanks oldfaq!). Are we supposed to infer that he shot the guard who meets us there and is mortally wounded? I had never considered that possibility before. Kinda cool when you think about it.

Beazil said:
Hmm, interesting little plot thing I just noticed: This is the first time I was aware he was in power up (thanks oldfaq!). Are we supposed to infer that he shot the guard who meets us there and is mortally wounded? I had never considered that possibility before. Kinda cool when you think about it.

oh yes, that IS interesting..

The guard was too busy explaining what you needed to do... but it is indeed interesting to know why was he lying dying in the room where the GMan had just been seen. After all, the door to that room was blocked with a lot of wood until you came in, so probably no Xen alien could have done it. Then again, I'm not sure why would the GMan want to do that - and above all, I think the GMan would really kill, not wound.

Solver said:
The guard was too busy explaining what you needed to do... but it is indeed interesting to know why was he lying dying in the room where the GMan had just been seen. After all, the door to that room was blocked with a lot of wood until you came in, so probably no Xen alien could have done it. Then again, I'm not sure why would the GMan want to do that - and above all, I think the GMan would really kill, not wound.
Good point(s). And about the door being blocked; What is outside the observation window in the room that guard is in that perticular level? :thumbs:

It couldn't be those on the outside to injure him. Marines were fighting the Garg and killed by it. The Garg itself couldn't wound the guard, it would just kill it with an attack - besides, the guard looked like he had a gunshot wound.

As for the G-man, he could have stopped Barney from getting out of there and so making your escape possible.
He helped you, in a sort of cruel way?

Good point! That's actually more plausible than him injuring the guard.

Here's the article from PC Zone:

Where's Wally?

Spotting the G-Man is a game in itself.

The G-Man is one of Half-Life's most perplexing mysteries. Who is he? What's in his briefcase? And why does he talk like Agent Smith from the Matrix? Frankly, your guess is as good as ours, but what we do know is that he moves around the Half-Life universe with remarkable ease, appearing like a phantom in the most unlikely of places. In the original Half-Life, he crops up on more than 50 seperate occasions (according to hardcore spotters), though if you're not looking, you might just as easily miss him.

In Half-Life 2, it's much, much, harder to spot the ambiguous bugger as he slides in and out of the game, but he's definitely still there. Keep your eyes open when you play the game and send your sightings (with screenshots if possible) to [email protected]. There'll be a fantastic prize for the top spotter (probably), but in the meantime, here's something to practice on...

(Picture of the fanboat cruising up to a dock with an attached barn, the G-Man stands beside the open doors.)

There's actually a short flash when you shoot him. It looks as if he has a forceshield, not just that he's invulnerable.

What like when a bullet hits metal? :p
You do know it can spark?

I could see the gman shooting barney, and not really caring enough if he was in pain to waste another bullet on him.

el Chi said:
I read in the PCZone HL2 review that apparently the G-Man turns up in HL1 on about 50 separate times. Is this true? When/where are they? I can't think of more than 10...

They said to the hardcore train spotters :rolleyes:

Besides did you find Gman in that picture yet (the 1 in PCZONE where your in the speed boat/heli-boat/hover craft, shit what is the name)

Back