Gabe cross examined about status of HL2

S

SaL

A Few Good Men at VALVe dramitization

Gabe: You want answers?

10 yr old Half-Life 2 fan: I think I'm entitled to them.

10 yr old Half-Life 2 fan: I want the truth!

Gabe: You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has bugs. And those bugs have to be squished. Who's gonna do it? You? You?

I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom.You weep for Half-Life 2 and you curse VALVe.You have that luxury.

You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Half-Life 2's delay's, while tragic, probably saved the game. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, makes the game meet your expectations...

You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at Lan parties, you want me squishing these bugs. You need me squishing these bugs.

We use words like no sleep,all nighter,hey Cliffe put another pot of coffee on ...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent creating something. You use 'em as a punchline in your next forum post.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a snot-nosed gamer who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very game I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it!

I'd rather you just said thank you and we'll get you some updated information as it's available.Otherwise, I suggest you encase yourself in a cryonic sleep chamber that will wake you up when the HL2 preload starts Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!

10 yr old Half-Life 2 fan: Did you order the delay of Half-Life 2?

Gabe: (quietly) I did the job you expect me to do.

Gabe: You're ***damn right I did!!

I would like to know what's goin on with HL2 and admit VALVe could do a better job at times of releasing info and dates but hate VALVe threads aren't going to do any good!

gabe said the pre-load content was ready, so its not about bugs.

what movie was that parodied from again? a few good men?

FYI: demi moore is coyote UGLY

poseyjmac said:
gabe said the pre-load content was ready, so its not about bugs.

they said the textures and sounds (things that wouldn't be changing between now and release) was ready. on the coding side, there could quite possibly be bugs that still need ironing out.

poseyjmac said:
not on steam

Oviously....... Poor Valve, they should start a harassment (and possible sexual) lawsuit against the gamers of the world.

japher said:
they said the textures and sounds (things that wouldn't be changing between now and release) was ready. on the coding side, there could quite possibly be bugs that still need ironing out.

yes. like i said the PRELOAD CONTENT. im not even talking about the coding aspect.

ie the preloading wasn't delayed because of bugs

It's a matter of bandwidth. CSS update vs. HL2 pre-load. There's only one winner.

as of monday night there was 8 gigabits free bandwidth. they actually increased the max to 9.7 gigabits that night.

SaL said:

10 yr old Half-Life 2 fan: I want the truth!

Gabe: You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has bugs. And those bugs have to be squished. Who's gonna do it? You? You?

I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom.You weep for Half-Life 2 and you curse VALVe.You have that luxury.

You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Half-Life 2's delay's, while tragic, probably saved the game. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, makes the game meet your expectations...

You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at Lan parties, you want me squishing these bugs. You need me squishing these bugs.

We use words like no sleep,all nighter,hey Cliffe put another pot of coffee on ...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent creating something. You use 'em as a punchline in your next forum post.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a snot-nosed gamer who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very game I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it!

I'd rather you just said thank you and we'll get you some updated information as it's available.Otherwise, I suggest you encase yourself in a cryonic sleep chamber that will wake you up when the HL2 preload starts Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!

Gabe: (quietly) I did the job you expect me to do.

Gabe: You're ***damn right I did!!

I would like to know what's goin on with HL2 and admit VALVe could do a better job at times of releasing info and dates but hate VALVe threads aren't going to do any good!

This is funny, i just realised how fat with a ph that Gabe is (prepares for flames)

Jack Nicholson>>>>>Gabe Newell

Tom Cruise>>>>>>10 year old HL2 fan

Brilliant post.

Someone had to compliment you on it ;0

Hopefully they figured out a way to show your hands when you pick something up. It kinda looked freaky without them.

Ha! That was hilarious.

"You're goddamn right I did!"

With the reanimated corpse of Orson Welles as Gabe Newell!

SupraRZ95 said:
Oviously....... Poor Valve, they should start a harassment (and possible sexual) lawsuit against the gamers of the world.

lol! Could you imagine?? So many 12 year olds shitting their pants! :LOL:

You guys do understand some of those bugs had to do with steams content delivery itself right? Which caused the hl2.exe to exit. So while you all may say that those bugs have nothing to do with the preload they do have everything to do with hl2.

Lets give you a speculative scenerio. Say 200,000 people download that preload, what happens if 50,000 can't play due to a bug in the steama ccounts that makes it constantly say you need an update even though you were 100% downloaded. 24 hours ago this bug was finally killed. I would prefer that this bug be made sure its dead before preloading content for hl2. Than have numerous amounts of people not get the full content due to a steam account bug, causing them to crash when it's fully released.

This bug did exist in CS:S causing tons and i do mean tons of people to crash. The last patch fixed it. This bug also exists in CZ. There it didn't cause people to crash. In source it did. So while i would love to see the preload, i was really glad they delayed it and got that one particular bug fixed.

This post was made in order to help you understand how bugs can effect a preload. I have no idea if this is why, its all speculation really. Whatever the reasons i can only assume they are good ones. Because think about it delaying the game isn't making valve any more money.

SaL said:
...my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you...

:LOL:

You should send this to Gabe, I'm sure he would appreciate it.

I thought that was pretty damn clever.
thumbs up.

What's that movie again? I'm a self proclaimed movie geek and I miss a lot of "cannon" films.

Yes...I rather like how you portrayed the entire HL2 fan community as 10 yearolds & then portrayed Valve like they know what there doing. Yes...Bravo. No no, GOOD JOB really. Yah....ahmmmm ya.

How about we just admit whether we support valve,hate valve, love HL2, Hate HL2, that no matter what our opinions are they go unheaded and are pointless. (long sentence)

It's creative but I realise that over a year the community and what we do means F**K all. Until we have software on these computers we are non-existant. Valve doesn't know we exist until we pay for one of their products.

Valve tours and bink releases are just coverups for their complete lack of intrest in us.

wonkers said:
Yes...I rather like how you portrayed the entire HL2 fan community as 10 yearolds & then portrayed Valve like they know what there doing. Yes...Bravo. No no, GOOD JOB really. Yah....ahmmmm ya.

How about we just admit whether we support valve,hate valve, love HL2, Hate HL2, that no matter what our opinions are they go unheaded and are pointless. (long sentence)

It's creative but I realise that over a year the community and what we do means F**K all. Until we have software on these computers we are non-existant. Valve doesn't know we exist until we pay for one of their products.

Valve tours and bink releases are just coverups for their complete lack of intrest in us.

Ive been part of the community since hl firstr eleased. And i totally disagree with you. Most of valves design decisions over the past 5 years have been based on the community.

Orange said:
I thought that was pretty damn clever.
thumbs up.

What's that movie again? I'm a self proclaimed movie geek and I miss a lot of "cannon" films.

Read dude "A Few Good Men" :sniper:

killahsin-[CE] said:
You guys do understand some of those bugs had to do with steams content delivery itself right? Which caused the hl2.exe to exit. So while you all may say that those bugs have nothing to do with the preload they do have everything to do with hl2.

Lets give you a speculative scenerio. Say 200,000 people download that preload, what happens if 50,000 can't play due to a bug in the steama ccounts that makes it constantly say you need an update even though you were 100% downloaded. 24 hours ago this bug was finally killed. I would prefer that this bug be made sure its dead before preloading content for hl2. Than have numerous amounts of people not get the full content due to a steam account bug, causing them to crash when it's fully released.

This bug did exist in CS:S causing tons and i do mean tons of people to crash. The last patch fixed it. This bug also exists in CZ. There it didn't cause people to crash. In source it did. So while i would love to see the preload, i was really glad they delayed it and got that one particular bug fixed.

This post was made in order to help you understand how bugs can effect a preload. I have no idea if this is why, its all speculation really. Whatever the reasons i can only assume they are good ones. Because think about it delaying the game isn't making valve any more money.

How can you play a preload? IF Valve releases the preload, they will release an update making it playable.

Varsity said:
It's a matter of bandwidth. CSS update vs. HL2 pre-load. There's only one winner.
Yea, give us another update on a 5 years old game!!! YEA!!!

of course, most of the cs players don't even know it's that old, because when it came out, they still had diapers...

I wonder how much money they spent on bandwidth and how much burst rate they can get into. Do you guys think most or all have downloaded the CS:S yet? I wish there was a way where we could see how many ppl downloaded and the amout of bandwidth used.

I could care less about the preload, and not just because I don't have a key to get it. I'm more interested on IF the game will be out in Sept, considering it's been a year. Why should anyone care when the preload starts, I don't know, because you're still not going to be able to play it. Furthermore, even if I did have a key, I'd still go and buy the collector's edition because:
A. I want a physical copy of the game; I like discs, they're shiny, and I like to consider HL2 a part of my collection. Plus, I'd hate to have to download HL2 again if I had to reformat, which I do often everytime I reinstall WinXP.
B. I'd like to get all the extra goodies that come with HL2. :D

To sum it up, don't fret about the preload, it will begin someday. Also, don't believe anything Valve says about the preload till you actually start preloading, because, so far, it always seems like tomorrows the day it will start. :thumbs:

AlCaponeXB said:
I could care less about the preload, and not just because I don't have a key to get it. I'm more interested on IF the game will be out in Sept, considering it's been a year. Why should anyone care when the preload starts, I don't know, because you're still not going to be able to play it. Furthermore, even if I did have a key, I'd still go and buy the collector's edition because:
A. I want a physical copy of the game; I like discs, they're shiny, and I like to consider HL2 a part of my collection. Plus, I'd hate to have to download HL2 again if I had to reformat, which I do often everytime I reinstall WinXP.
B. I'd like to get all the extra goodies that come with HL2. :D

To sum it up, don't fret about the preload, it will begin someday. Also, don't believe anything Valve says about the preload till you actually start preloading, because, so far, it always seems like tomorrows the day it will start. :thumbs:

sigh, ill explain this yet again, these posts are far too common..

preload is important to people not beacause of the files on the harddrive, but because valve is making progress. it will be the first time something tangible is released that makes up halflife2 the game. when this happens it means that maybe valve wont delay hl2 for another year and that release is not too far off.

Very clever SaL. A lot of the younger folks on the board may not be familiar with this movie.

When I read that little "discussion" I almost cried. I was listening to the Free Willy theme song and it got me tears.

And then with Gabe like "It's none of your business!"

Oh so sad.

SaL said:

Oh, Man! That was beuatiful!

what movie is that from again? I have no clue...just remmeber code red and that general guy saying those...well, almost those lines :)

Back