Gabe Newell has compelled people to purchase the radeon 9800 pro just to play hl2....

Originally posted by Luxley
and people aren't going to sue for a couple of hundred US$ ...actually maybe they will, you know what yanks are like

God bless you country bashing , again unprovoked America bashing , sir I saulte you!

Kebab has no argument , he hasnt read anything in this forum lately so he does not need to be briefed by us. CDkey , net access. thats why its no released.

The 9800 pro was kicking the ass of every other card out there well before Valve actually released the benchmarking figures, and they used it for demonstrating the E3 stuff because it was the best graphics card available at the time. Both Nvidia and ATI have been consulted regarding the development of the game, but unfortunately Nvidia have slipped behind the pace of ATI and that is why Gabe recommended ATI's cards. It was an unusual thing to do, but I think he was pissed at Nvidias complacent attitude to things during their consultation meetings. Gabe is all for pushing things, where as Nvidia are very much money men.

Personally I think that Nvidia's market dominance for so long has made them slack. The jump ups in their cards performances with each generation has hardly been significant over the last few years ever since they pulverised 3DFX into the ground, it hardly seemed a few months after releasing the geforce 3 that they had pushed the geforce 4 out onto the shelves. ATI really pulled the rung from under their feet with the release of the 9800 series and even the 5900 FX struggles to match it's capabilities simply because the cards architecture isn't comparable. No amount of Detonator driver tweaks will ever make the FX cards run significantly better. However I've no doubt Nvidia will get back on track with their next generation of Cards, and a bit of healthy competition between NVidia and ATi is no bad thing for us.

Its a good card and runs pretty much any game going without much sweat, and as we know it runs HL2 and doom 3 with all the knobs on. The only time you are going to experience a real need to upgrade it is when the next generation of game engines appears, and when I say the next generation I mean post Doom 3, Post Source engines, and they might be some time off yet.

Back