Gabe Newell ...High Bidder ?

build a decent hl2 computer for 300$?

hahaha..

maybe a solid vid card, 6800 standard, or a mobo/cpu combo, athlon 64 3200, but not a whole pc...

Schmiggy_JK23 said:
build a decent hl2 computer for 300$?
AMD 2800+ w/ mobo= $120
512 mb 3200 DDR $60
9800 pro = $200
______
$380

He's got the rest of the hardware he needs, and is getting $355. So if he can scrape up $25, he could have a pretty sweet HL2 rig.

512 mb of generic ddr...

9800 pro with 256mb is well over 200$
128 could be had for under 150$ though.

And i was replying to the comment of 300$ could build a decent pc... not 355, or 380 :)

Internet begging puts the lotion on its skin...

Seriously, if you're going to dish out $300 bucks to help some pathetic guy to play a video game, why not donate that money to a more worthy cause?

The entire auction is a hoax. Everybody will retract their bids at the close of the auction.

Because this guy got off his rear and put forth an entertaining scheme that gave us all a good laugh and hit us in our soft spot (hl2). He deserves every penny he gets.

I easily spend over US$100 each week on booze and other activities. If I gave up 3 weekends of fun (6 days total) so that this dude could build a new computer, which he would then obviously use to mod for HL2, and thus potentially start a career or even get hired by valve as some HL1 mod makers were, how is this a bad thing? Are you suggesting that I'd be a better person if I just decided to just get trollied instead?

And donating to some more worthy cause? What has that cause done recently that has made me laugh?

EDIT: And Seeky, how exactly are they going to retract their bids without a good reason? Give this a quick skim and you'll see it'd be nearly impossible for anyone to retract in this situation http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/bid-retract.html

Revenge said:
Because this guy got off his rear and put forth an entertaining scheme that gave us all a good laugh and hit us in our soft spot (hl2). He deserves every penny he gets.

...and ain't that a sad reflection of todays talentless fame culture i.e. do anything that gets attention and the sheep (public) think you're a God and start giving you money...

Heaven forbid this guy got off his rear, went out and got the money himself!

Shadow-warrior said:
...and ain't that a sad reflection of todays talentless fame culture i.e. do anything that gets attention and the sheep (public) think you're a God and start giving you money...

Heaven forbid this guy got off his rear, went out and got the money himself!

Dude, what the hell? You must still be in highschool. This guy obviously doesn't come from a very well off family to begin with, and he's in college, probably paying 1000s of dollars in tuition just to go.

It's more like:
"With the money from my job, do I buy a new computer or do I pay my tuition fees?"

I also agree with Revenge, he already made a mod for Half-Life, I'm sure he'd make a mod for Half-Life 2 as a giant "thank you" to the community or something. He doesn't sound like your average, whiny teenager to me.

This guy took the time and effort to make a very funny appeal for money so he can play HL2. It's not like he's just whining and asking for money. Even he sees it as a bit of a laugh!

A charity does't have to involve starving children or a war-torn part of the world, for crying out loud.

Good luck to the guy! Everyone deserves happiness in life, be it the love of a good woman, or the chance to play HL2 the way it's meant to be played.

S/<ull said:
Good luck to the guy! Everyone deserves happiness in life, be it the love of a good woman, or the chance to play HL2 the way it's meant to be played.

I take it "everyone" means men and homosexual women.

Sent e-mail to Gabe for 100% confirmation.

Pipboy said:
Dude, what the hell? You must still be in highschool. This guy obviously doesn't come from a very well off family to begin with, and he's in college, probably paying 1000s of dollars in tuition just to go.

It's more like:
"With the money from my job, do I buy a new computer or do I pay my tuition fees?"

I also agree with Revenge, he already made a mod for Half-Life, I'm sure he'd make a mod for Half-Life 2 as a giant "thank you" to the community or something. He doesn't sound like your average, whiny teenager to me.

How do you know he ain't some 40 year old man living in his parents basement that has an uber leet PC but is using the money to buy kegs of beer and is just using a crappy PC to take the pictures. Just because he says he is some poor college student doesn't mean he is.

Yes, that is surely Gabe. Got a reply from him.

That bumps up my respect for him up a big, big notch. :thumbs:

Sharrd said:
I take it "everyone" means men and homosexual women.
So...your saying that heterosexual women don't want to play Half-Life 2? Uh-oh...wait until our resident ladies hear about this....

He_Who_Is_Steve said:
So...your saying that heterosexual women don't want to play Half-Life 2? Uh-oh...wait until our resident ladies hear about this....

heads will be rolling on the floor :-o

That guys got $400 so far for offering a screenshot?

SpuD said:
That guys got $400 so far for offering a screenshot?

A screenshot the buyer won't even get till the game is out hahaha. :p

ROFL ROFL ROFL that whole desrctiption was a riot, this auction is great!

that kid is just too greedy, first ebay next paypal lol i would not help him out

woah....wow i bet that guy feels on top of the world.. :) im gonna start selling random stuff on ebay...like pepsi cans hehhee

holy crap... i cant believe that taht guy is actually making money... that is really amazing... 405 so far... that guy is a genius

People don't give me money for nothing. This is funny, but I wouldn't think people would actually bid.

I guess, since he managed to get people to bid $400 US, he deserves it. I say well done. And where is my $300 Gabe ? :angel:

i bet this guy has a bad ass system with 3ghz cpu, 1 gig a ram and a 9800 pro with dual raptors...

he just wants to upgrade to an x800xt or something and every1 is falling for it.

Schmiggy_JK23 said:
512 mb of generic ddr...

9800 pro with 256mb is well over 200$
128 could be had for under 150$ though.

And i was replying to the comment of 300$ could build a decent pc... not 355, or 380 :)

Where have you seen an 9800pro 128mb for under $150?

Man I wish I thought of this, I could be getting a new video card if I had.

The only reason he's getting so much is because Gabe is bidding!

you have to give it to Gabe... donating $$$ to some poor sop (inventive though he maybe) so he can get a comp thet will run HL2. Gabe you rock, again and again and again....

also i bet that the guy who started this thread is the same guy selling the screen shot.... :LOL:

People will just be bidding for a joke (apart from Gabe maybe) and so he probably wont get the money anyway.

I'm glad I live in a country where every education is almost free.
Going in highschool costed about 100$ and that was for some killer calculator, since i'm doing math :) But when that was paid, no more.

We pay higher tax though...

Thadius Dean said:
gabe has to be the coolest guy on earth... taking random phonecalls, basically GIVING money to a needy gamer.

thats why he's my god :D

He truly is a man of the people!! Plus he drives a BMW!!!!!(at least I think :D )

Oh, and my thoughts on the auction. The people who are bidding are probably people who can afford it, are generous, and probably got on a good mood because the guy can write a good little diddy. I know I had a lot of laughs while reading the thing he put togeather, and if I had the money that would probably be enough to get me over.

Did you notice that the real bidders are outbid by some 5 bucks by far more than gabe for instance? Too many 0 and <30day bidders in there so my guess is if THEY win then they guy will get nothing because they don't want him to get anything. What losers.

just looked at this lol. glad gabe is doing the right thing. i hope gabe wins so this guy actually gets the money :)

The person just added some new pictures of their rig - from the 2 fishbowl monitor to the midiland speakers, even the C&C Generals CD made an appearance it looks like (I think that's it).

Back