Gabe posts more @ Fallout about performance

I have a system with
2.0 GhZ
512 Mb RAM
Geforce 3

Should be, hopefully, upgrading to a 9600 or a 9800 Pro soon, but if I can't, I hope what I have now can run it with a reasonable amount of the effects still in place

That's an awesome idea to get everyone happy with performance by giving the designers an average machine, I never thought like that.

Good to hear an offical satement from Gabe, nice to have a good understanding of what we'll need to run HL2 too.

As for the specs, they don't worry me a single bit. My new system has arrived and is equiped with an Althon XP3200, 512mb RAM and Radeon 9200SE... Okay, so the card sucks but I'll upgrade it to a 9800pro soon. And to my understanding, it should run HL2 and even Doom 3 on highest detail.

Awesomely detailed gamingness, here I come. Muahahahahahahahaha!!!

I think I'll buy a Radeon 9800 Pro too, they don't cost shit anymore. Although then I should get a new processor too, because I don't think there's any difference with 9800 Pro and 9600Pro when the processor is Athlon Xp 1800+ :p

Well... i read an article about makeing a radeon 9800 pro into an XT because both chips got the same hardware but ATi weakn it... it something called Peguses Drivers or something...
I need a new processor and some more ram :\ cuz i got an AMD ATHLON 1600XP+ and 256 ram :| will HL2 work for me? (i got a GEFORCE 4 Ti 4200).

tkato said:
Well... i read an article about makeing a radeon 9800 pro into an XT because both chips got the same hardware but ATi weakn it... it something called Peguses Drivers or something...
I need a new processor and some more ram :\ cuz i got an AMD ATHLON 1600XP+ and 256 ram :| will HL2 work for me? (i got a GEFORCE 4 Ti 4200).
the X800 pro and X800 XT have the same hardware as well, ATI disabled portions of of the X800 pro hardware to ensure the XT would have better performance. However from what I have read it isn't particularily difficult to unlock the hardware and turn the Pro version into and XT, but of course it risks ruining a perfectly good card.

On Topic: I do hope that for Multiplayer Valve will include a few maps that will be designed to run on computers with top of the line hardware though (have a low quality and a high quality version perhaps) it would be nice to see HL2's full graphics potential right out of the box instead of waiting for amature mappers.

The Mullinator said:
the X800 pro and X800 XT have the same hardware as well, ATI disabled portions of of the X800 pro hardware to ensure the XT would have better performance. However from what I have read it isn't particularily difficult to unlock the hardware and turn the Pro version into and XT, but of course it risks ruining a perfectly good card.

The memory in the X800 XT is of a higher rating - Thats why they can't manufacture them quickly enough - the RAM is not readily available! While RAM for the pro version is plentiful!

There is a difference...not huge, but a difference!! Overclock that Pro memory to XT speeds and you might be in aftifact city because of overheating!

The extra four pixel pipes can be enabled by using a conductive paint between some of the solder points in the GPU core! People have posted some good results from doing this!!

wouldnt try it myself tho!!

:eek:

Back