Game availability? Intresting question inside.

wilka91

Reaction score
All right, we all know now that the release date for Half-Life 2 is November 16, 2004. Great.

We also know that Half-Life 2 will be unlocked to STEAM account holders the same day. Even better.

Unfortunately, we also know that in 2004 video games find themselves on Peer to peer networks at least a week before the official release date (i.e. Halo 2). Not good.

So I'm asking : what if Hal-Life 2 comes out on SuprNova on November 10th? Are they gonna hold the game until Nov. 16???

To be honest, I won't be able to control myself and will download the game from P2P.

PS. I own the Half-Life 2 Bronze pack, so don't worry, I ain't a thief.

No idea.

Since the release date is nov 16, they game probably won't be in stores yet on nov 10. So they will only be able to release on steam, with wich they won't get any money because those packages have already been bought for most people I think..

wilka91 said:
All right, we all know now that the release date for Half-Life 2 is November 16, 2004. Great.

We also know that Half-Life 2 will be unlocked to STEAM account holders the same day. Even better.

Unfortunately, we also know that in 2004 video games find themselves on Peer to peer networks at least a week before the official release date (i.e. Halo 2). Not good.

So I'm asking : what if Hal-Life 2 comes out on SuprNova on November 10th? Are they gonna hold the game until Nov. 16???

To be honest, I won't be able to control myself and will download the game from P2P.

PS. I own the Half-Life 2 Bronze pack, so don't worry, I ain't a thief.
Probably not, November 16 is probably the fastest they can get it out according to the requirements they have currently set.

The number of games that are downloaded on Peer to Peer networks is vastly small compared to the number bought. The average is person is not a hardcore downloader, except maybe of music.

There will be some pirating, but in the grand scheme of things, I think it won't matter one or the other if some folks get the game early or free or both.

Timech187

Since I've already paid for it, and it appeared on a Warez site or P2P before Nov 16, I might download it, then trash it once it's released. If I didn't already have it, then no, I wouldn't do that, and if I did, I'd purchase it as soon as I could.

Early pirating doesn't matter much. Look at Doom3, it was on the net 2 days before the release. Most people who downloaded it then bought the game 2 days later still - they just couldn't wait for it. With HL2, there will be people who will download only (there are these people always, who don't buy games, and download after release), but the ones who download before the release will also buy it. Mostly.

wilka91 said:

That's because you're an idiot. Just wait until it's officially released.

I think you are a moron and you should worry about other things other then if some 12 year old gets to play a stupid game before you do.... you risk getting caught if you download illegal software from any company.

I suggest you rethink and edit your post…

Mountain Man said:
That's because you're an idiot. Just wait until it's officially released.

Thanks! I'm an idiot for wanting to play Half-Life 2 as soon as humanly possible ...

Back