Game Prices

herbster

Reaction score
Hey, I suppose this is the right place to post, so here goes...

Well, I was wondering what is happening with game prices internationally as I was recently very surprised when I looked at the prices of games after a loooong time away from the stores.

I know that my local economy has recently strengthened fairly significantly, yet the price of games has increased dramatically. Is this happening everywhere?

I think they've stayed pretty much the same here... some are actually cheaper... the UT2004 special edition was only $30... Doom III is going to be $55, though... that's the first PC game I've seen go over the $50 mark.

I remember the days of $70 dollar super nintendo games... that was fun. :rolleyes:

Well, here UT2k4 costs a bit less than twice that, if my calculations are correct, as they are probably not.

When we didn't have euro's yet (<2002), games where 100 guilders, which is about 45 euro's. Most PC games are now around 50, but it's not that hard to find them for less (actually quite a lot are 39,99) and internet shops are even cheaper. So prices haven't really gone up, not for pc games at least.

$50 is the usual 'new game' price in America - for both the PC and console.

i'm not old enough to remember the days of $70 SNES games, man that's kinda funny :p

In Australia all new games cost $89.95.

With our current economy the EXACT price we should be paying is $70.0463 AUD.

That means all new games should cost $69.95

That means we are paying $20 more than we should!!!

How do you all feel now??? I know i feel like shit.

ehh, i have just seen cheaper games everywhere i been.

Well since i haven't always shopped at the same places i couldn't say for certain, but prices appear to have stayed about the same, although. Most games cost between £20 and £30, unless its for a console and then they can be up to £50.

The place we used to shop (They don't generally have that many games) we bought red alert from for £15.

Letters said:
that's the first PC game I've seen go over the $50 mark.

What? You must have some real cheap games over there...

As Fsparrow said, England most new PC games cost £30 or so, whereas console games usually a tenner more. Of course, if you use gameplay.com or amazon they cost a lot les...and then there are budget games...so no, as far as I know games are not getting any more expensive here at least.

If you go to Game, you can usaually get a good price on them because they try to price match. Also, (And i have to say this works better in the USA because of their attitude towards making the deal) you can get places to lower the price by hagling. In the bigger stores, the staff are practically taught how to do it and make you think you are getting an amazing deal and in the smaller shops the people just know what they are doing and how much they bought it for anyway.

Back