Gamepad configuration? Help!

pvtlon

Reaction score
I recently bought a Saitek P3000 wireless gamepad for my PC. Now, the thing seems like it rocks, but I have the damnedest time trying to configure it. It has 2 analouge sticks, 8-way directional POV (seems like only 4-way tho) 2 triggers, and 6 other butons. So many settings give different results, i.e. Enable joystick in HL, Enable mouse in HL, Joystick Look, Mouse look, ..all make the controller respond diferently. It's quite maddening... Would anybody please post how they configure their gamepad for play with Half Life? I'd love to use it, but it's such a pain in my @ss! (I think I want the left analouge stick to move forward, backward, and strafe left & right, wihle the right stick looks up, down, and around.) Thanks.

Well, Half-Life is a FPS. FPS are meant to be played with a mouse and keyboard. It just works way better than a gamepad (and explains why FPS usually suck on consoles).

You should try using your gamepad for console ports to the PC. Those games usually have the best gamepad support and are usually alot more fun to play with a game pad. Games like Madden 2004 and Need For Speed: Underground are great fun with a game pad.

Thanks for the reply. Granted, it is a bit different using a gamepad vs keyboard and mouse, but surely there must be someone out there using a gamepad with HalfLife. I can get a somewhat decent configuration, but one stick won't be analouge, or it looks too fast (or too slow). I want to know the handiest gamepad configuration. I get frazzled too easily when playing with it.