Gamespot's top 10 - Are they serious?

How can you honestly look at the Half Life 2 E3 Videos and then say that PC Single Player games arent as good as console ones.
I don't think he said that.

And people like him will NOT be the death of this industry, big name games will be. Everyone ignores the less graphically impressive but more creative games because they're overshadowed by games with amazing new graphics and such.

I find it interesting that you keep calling games like Goldeneye sub-standard ... whats sub-standard about it? It was the first great multiplayer shooter on consoles, and it was better than most PC games out at the time.

What about party games guys??

A few beers, some drunk girls and dance mats :) Just sit back and watch the bouncing \o/

Or, House of the Dead 3, with those sweet beretta handguns, on a big TV :)

You can't get this type of immediate, social expeience on a pc ......... it's unique to console gaming. PCs are great for immersion, online play and online communities. But there is so much more to gaming. While not everyone's cup of tea, it's incredibly short sighted to condemn consoles off hand.

lans said:
I'd have to agree with you for the second time here.

PC games have now started to get good single player campaigns. Back then, untill from 1994 - 1999 era, with the exception of half-life (I'm only considering FPS at the momment), all games had the same formula: kill the aliens, go to the next room.

Uh... You're forgetting games like Deus Ex and System Shock 2. And it's not fair to only consider FPS on the PC, you can't ignore the RTS games like Starcraft, the numerous adventure games from Lucas Arts, brain-testing games like Myst and Riven which had great storylines and really awesome space sims like Freespace 2, plus too many more to list. It's really wrong to discount all these other games. It sounds to me like you've only played Quake and Serious Sam.

Starcraft=one of the best games of all time.

Serious Sam is great at a LAN party, by the way.

Yeah, I actually sort of liked Serious Sam. It just kind of fits the stereotype.

Warbie said:
What about party games guys??

A few beers, some drunk girls and dance mats :) Just sit back and watch the bouncing \o/

Or, House of the Dead 3, with those sweet beretta handguns, on a big TV :)

You can't get this type of immediate, social expeience on a pc ......... it's unique to console gaming. PCs are great for immersion, online play and online communities. But there is so much more to gaming. While not everyone's cup of tea, it's incredibly short sighted to condemn consoles off hand.

Yep but at the end of the day, you cant have 8 player halo tournaments every day. Soo I really dont want to spend 50 quid on a game that lasts for about 30 minutes at parties.

Give me an immersive PC Single Player game over console overhyped trash anytime.

Like I said, at LAN parties you can have 16 player UT fragfests, with everyone in the same room. There's a business here in NC called Gamefrog Cafe, which is a gaming center (15 comps and some consoles) where you play games, obviously. It's right by my high school, and I go there a lot.

It's just as fun as Halo (actually a lot funner). Which CS is, IMO, a good game thats infested by l33ts, idiots, racists, and everything else bad, it's a blast to play CS with all of your friends in the same room... everyone yelling at each other and stuff...

Nickzer_Teh_Pwn said:
So those are the only responses you could come up with?

Pfft.....

I find it hypocritical that you insinuate that I was stupid when you had the gaul to compare Half Life to sub-standard games like Mario and Goldeneye to Half Life and Deus Ex.

How can you honestly look at the Half Life 2 E3 Videos and then say that PC Single Player games arent as good as console ones.

What exactly did the console have to show off this year??

Thats right rehashed crap.

Tony Hawks being a prime example of this: Buy Tony Hawks 9 and it has 2 more skateboards in 3 more colours than Tony Hawks 8!!!!!!

And people actually pay out 50 quid for that....

People like you will be the death of this industry.

Calm down m8. You're putting words in my mouth.

HL2 looks amazing! the single player element alone should be more immersive and engaging than any game before it (hopefully :) ). But it isn't out yet is it?

The point is that good pc titles have been few and far between for years now (imo of course ;) ). Take your list of 'great' pc games, they're all old. (I did mention that this trend does seem to be ending, with loads of great titles coming out soon)

What's Tony Hawks got to do with anything? It certainly doesn't sum up the quality of console games. *shock* I happen to agree with you on this. Infact, it seems that we share a similar interest in many games.

You really need to chill out and stop thinking your opinion is definitive in all things.

(btw your manga comment was remarkable. Have you seen 'Spirited Away', 'Princess Mononoke', 'Akira'? and many others. These are beautifully crafted stories that appeal to ppl of all ages. But of course - you don't like them so they must be rubbish :/)

Nickzer_Teh_Pwn said:
Yep but at the end of the day, you cant have 8 player halo tournaments every day. Soo I really dont want to spend 50 quid on a game that lasts for about 30 minutes at parties.

And you can't go clubbing everyday - doesn't mean it's wasted money. Nor do they just get played for 30 mins ;)

Dissing manga or anime is like saying you don't like any type of book, or you hate all visual movies or tv shows... there are millions of manga series out there.

Warbie said:
Calm down m8. You're putting words in my mouth.

HL2 looks amazing! the single player element alone should be more immersive and engaging than any game before it (hopefully :) ). But it isn't out yet is it?

The point is that good pc titles have been few and far between for years now (imo of course ;) ). Take your list of 'great' pc games, they're all old. (I did mention that this trend does seem to be ending, with loads of great titles coming out soon)

What's Tony Hawks got to do with anything? It certainly doesn't sum up the quality of console games. *shock* I happen to agree with you on this. Infact, it seems that we share a similar interest in many games.

You really need to chill out and stop thinking your opinion is definitive in all things.

(btw your manga comment was remarkable. Have you seen 'Spirited Away', 'Princess Mononoke', 'Akira'? and many others. These are beautifully crafted stories that appeal to ppl of all ages. But of course - you don't like them so they must be rubbish :/)

I think we can come to a compromise, I believe that PC Games although not holding as sure a financial footing as their console counterparts are far more revolutionary and influential on the industry at large.

However I also believe that console games companies are realising that graphics arent the selling point they were 3 years ago, therefore they are beginning to reform some of their ideas and come out with some relatively interesting titles.

However again :) to look at gamespot's top 10 is simply blasphemous, some of the stuff featured on thier is ridiculous... And to not include Half Life, Deus Ex, BG2 or GF?

Hm hm :(

Cylleruion2012 said:
Like I said, at LAN parties you can have 16 player UT fragfests, with everyone in the same room. There's a business here in NC called Gamefrog Cafe, which is a gaming center (15 comps and some consoles) where you play games, obviously. It's right by my high school, and I go there a lot.

It's just as fun as Halo (actually a lot funner). Which CS is, IMO, a good game thats infested by l33ts, idiots, racists, and everything else bad, it's a blast to play CS with all of your friends in the same room... everyone yelling at each other and stuff...

I totally agree, LAN parties are great. They do take some organising tho :) I've many found memories of sleeping under my desk, amoungst pizza boxes, after a few days heavy play.

I personally prefer Halo co-op to UT2004 (even in a LAN) . This is all subjective of course, there is no 'best'

The convinience of consoles is an obvious benefit - your mates come round, you sit on the sofa and are instantly playing. Everything's userfriendly and works straight away.

(Me and a few friends dug out Sega Athletics on the DC the other night and spent hours happily whacking buttons and shouting at each other.

My PC clan won a game against much better opponents a few nights later (\o/) which is also excellent fun. There's no need to compare both evenings and decide which is better - just that both occasions were top fun :) )

Nickzer_Teh_Pwn said:

- Deus Ex
- Half Life
- Baldurs Gate 2
- Thief Series
- KOTOR
- System Shock 1 and 2
- Grim Fandango
- Medieval Total War

blah blah blah

All Great game have Great stories.
I havent played all these games, but I just started a week ago playing Grim Fandango for the first time and I am in love with this game. Its truly genious absurd humour and extremely well delivered. The story is great, as in The Longest Journey too. For an adventure game the story is very important. It doesnt stop some great games to have weak or no story. The first Splinter Cell for example, nothing is great about the story, but the game is really fun.

Ugh, I hated splinter cell. to each his own, though.

A bit of advice - most of the things that Nickzer posts are just his opinion.

Are not most of the things people speak opinionated? Fact always becomes distorted with bias, it is a natural human trait.

btw KOTOR was much better on the XBox! (I can feel the heat coming already /o\)

Nickzer_Teh_Pwn said:
Are not most of the things people speak opinionated? Fact always becomes distorted with bias, it is a natural human trait.
That it is, but generally (judging from the rest of this topic) you seem to consider your opinion as gospel.

Not at all, it is true that I disregard other's opinions if I believe them to be racist/veiled by patriotism/no factual basis. But that is not the same as believing my own views are airtight.

Cylleruion2012 said:
And people like him will NOT be the death of this industry, big name games will be. Everyone ignores the less graphically impressive but more creative games because they're overshadowed by games with amazing new graphics and such.
Nope. Big-name games will be what keeps the PC gaming industry in a serviceable state. There's an unbelievable number of people who buy into the NHL, NBA, NFL, <insert something really popular> games year after year, giving zero thought to innovation or new gameplay. They buy the games, not knowing that a number of them are simply the previous game rehashed with small graphical improvments and new players.

The same applies to The Sims. There's eight expansion packs out for it, and this one series of games dominates the sales charts every week. There's likely millions of Sims players who are oblivious to the fact that there's somewhere other than expansion packs to get new items. The game itself hasn't changed in years. It's the same thing over and over, but people are buying into it and keeping the industry alive.

I believe what you meant was "big-name games will be the death of the industry's soul." :) These games are killing the chances of good, innovative games to get a foothold in mainstream gaming. It makes me sick, but there's not a lot we can do about it. Trying to educate these "gullible gamers" about good, original games is like trying to teach a poodle to fly. It ain't gonna happen (believe me... I've tried*).

*Not: teaching poodles to fly.

Nickzer_Teh_Pwn said:
I
However again :) to look at gamespot's top 10 is simply blasphemous, some of the stuff featured on thier is ridiculous... And to not include Half Life, Deus Ex, BG2 or GF?

*sigh*

You won't find those games on the top ten that you're talking about(even though they are great games) for the simple fact that they weren't released in the past 12 months, which is what that chart represents. It represents the games with the highest scores that were released in the past 12 months, which last I checked those games you listed weren't :p. It's sort of like complaining about those games not appearing in a top 10 best ever console games chart, because it's impossible, it's not what the chart represents, so what is the use in complaining about it.

It's not like pc games don't have their fair share of rehashed crap. Look at all the cookie-cutter FPSs and RTSs that have been released for the PC in the past few years. It's wrong to say that console games are just rehashed crap and that pc games are revolutionary etc.etc. Most of the great games you have listed are pretty old now, and to be honest there hasn't been any games recently IMO that have been as good as those you've listed. That said, I agree with Warbie in that that looks set to change.

"However I also believe that console games companies are realising that graphics arent the selling point they were 3 years ago, therefore they are beginning to reform some of their ideas and come out with some relatively interesting titles."

I think pc games companies are also realising this as well, since they've fallen prey to the same thing.

I like to see innovative and revolutionary games. However I'm not interested in them if they aren't fun games, which for me is the reason I play games(I don't know about you), to HAVE FUN/ to be ENTERTAINED. Looking back over the past few years, I can honestly say that I have been just as entertained by console games as I have by pc games.

Also it isn't true that all great games have great stories. For example one game you listed "Medieval: Total War" doesn't even have a story IIRC. Half Life for example, while it is a great game, I hardly consider the story to be a great one. There are some great games which have pretty crappy stories IMO, the thing I'm most interested in is great gameplay. A great story is a bonus, it isn't always essential.

No, PC Games are far more revolutionary and ingeuinitive than console games, any fool knows that. What surprises me is that on a Half-Life 2 forum there are so many consoleers banging on about absolote crap like chinky chonky special or whatever that awful game is called.
It wont be long before somebody comes on and starts calling Goldeneye 'The Best shooter ever!'.

Its as simple as this:

PC's - You get what you pay for, and the poor cant pay for a good PC.

Consoles - A watered down games machine that will only keep you occupied for more than 30 minutes if youy have 3 mates over and 3 controllers. The games are far worse and everyone knows this.

Zapp$ter said:
Also it isn't true that all great games have great stories. For example one game you listed "Medieval: Total War" doesn't even have a story IIRC. Half Life for example, while it is a great game, I hardly consider the story to be a great one. There are some great games which have pretty crappy stories IMO, the thing I'm most interested in is great gameplay. A great story is a bonus, it isn't always essential.

No Half Life's story was relatively good considering the time it was made. It was a refreshing change and left many unanswered questions. I mean are you that stupid that you believe the only reason people want half life 2 is because of the physics and graphics?

No!

Its because they want to find out who the gman is. They want to see what role Barney plays and what happened to Adrian Shephard - That in my opinion is the mark of a great game with a relatively good story.

Its just sad that all the consoleers came out to cheer on Jap games on a bloomin' Half Life 2 board!

If you cant afford a good PC - Well then Tough!

I never said that people only want to play HL2 for its graphics and physics(although those are two of the main things people go on about on this site). A story is important to a game definitely, but I would still consider playing a game even if it had a crap story or no story. The most important thing to me is the gameplay. For example I could easily play medieval: total war for hours on end, and you know why? because IMO it has fantastic gameplay not because of the story which is non-existent. Don't get me wrong some games I look forward to because of the story and how they tie up loose ends from previous games, but if the game is no fun to play then I'll probably find myself drifting away from it without ever finishing it. That is my opinion, I know people who look for a fantastic story in their games and don't care about the gameplay, good for them I say. I just don't simply write off their opinions, I respect their opinions. Maybe you should get off your high horse and learn to do the same.

"PC's - You get what you pay for, and the poor cant pay for a good PC.

Consoles - A watered down games machine that will only keep you occupied for more than 30 minutes if youy have 3 mates over and 3 controllers. The games are far worse and everyone knows this."

This is just plain stupid. If anything the sole focus of a console is to play games, so how can it be considered a watered down gaming machine? PCs aren't just built for playing games are they? So you're telling me that no console game can match up to a pc game? because that's what it sounds like. Also there are times when I haven't been able to get a game to work due to bugs and so have had to wait for a patch to be able to start playing them or use other workarounds not given by the developers to be able to install games. It's refreshing to be able to just slap the disc in to the console and play without worrying about whether it's going to work or not.

I have played plenty of console games that have kept me occupied for well over half an hour and that's even without friends playing multiplayer with me. I find your generalizations rather stupid, because there are games for both consoles and pcs that I would play maybe for a quick half an hour(Diablo 2 for example, Pro Evo Soccer 3 is another). There are others which would keep me occupied for 4+ hours(Jagged Alliance 2 for pc, Zelda windwaker for the gc)

I can afford a good pc, one that should be good enough to play Half Life 2 on medium to high settings.

It's even more sad that people like you can be so narrowminded that they disregard consoles just like that. So what if this is a HalfLife2.net board, in case you hadn't noticed this is the general gaming forum, where you don't have to just talk about other pc games but games in general, get it?

Its as simple as this:
PC Games are inherently better, just look at the breadth of PC Games for a start, there are so many good ones.

Nickzer_Teh_Pwn said:
Its as simple as this:
PC Games are inherently better, just look at the breadth of PC Games for a start, there are so many good ones.

Go on then, give us a list of these 'inherently better' titles (other than that short list of old games you mentioned in a previous post)

Could you also explain to me what is so innovative about pc games too - the vast majority being complete crap imo (there's still the odd diamond in the rough tho :) ) These days it's all gfx with shallow gameplay - and has been for quite a while (i'm sure you remember when games like SS2, HL, AoE, Civ, Grim Fandango etc seemed to be coming out every month - well it hasn't been like that for years. It's stagnant :/)

Unless you're talking online gaming, then I agree with you. This is the area where the pc stands supreme (and is my favourite type of gaming)

It's obvious you can't stand console gaming, so is it also reasonable to assume you havn't a clue about the games/machines etc? The comments you've made so far do suggest this. I honestly believe most innovation is found in console games - you may not agree, but pls stop implying i'm an idiot for coming to this decision.

My brother is an artist for Creative Assembly (he's responsible for most of the models and skins you'll see in Rome: Total War) and he loves console gaming. Two of my friends work for Lionhead, both console fans too (incidently, Peter Molyneux's favourite game is Mario 64 ...... I guess that isn't something you'd expect from one of the most respected pc developers there is, eh Nickzer?)

Sorry to be blunt, but to disregard all console gaming as inferior to pc gaming shows clearly that you havn't a clue. It's horses for courses - and both have their pros and cons.

I would be the first to agree with you jap that the recent titles havent been that good, but if you look at the PC Games history they are alot better, no console games can compare to the great titles i have mentioned and so have you.
Yes ATM it is pretty stagnant, but I think with the release of Half Life 2 and the other great games in development at the moment this will change, it changed after HL1 and already we are seeing some new and ingenuitive titles in the works. NO Japanese bullshit can compare with Half Life 2, NONE WHATSOEVER! I dont give a shit whehteyou lik manga and pokemon and all that other japanese bollocks. as far as im concerned you are a typical fanboy. "Ohhh the japanese make such good games, miyamoto is a genius!!"

Nope Gabe Newell is more of a genius, Peter Molyneux, (although B&W was rubbish) is 10 tens more of a genius with titles like the movies and fable, the whole Looking Glass and ValvE teams could shit all over miyamoto's ugly little face.

That is real genius, not simply making a plumber in a side scrolling game and then being called 'great'.

As i said i agree with you about the past 3 years not being good, but look at the console market!

Mario Sunshine
Luigis Mansion
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 21
Tekken 15

Its clear from your avatar you are a consoleer, so go and play on PS2 and decieve yourself its better than a PC.

And you know what?????

The only good console is a PC in a box! The xBox, its the only one that has tried to transport PC style gaming to a console and fo rthat i am glad. But its clear that you are one of these people that will stop at nothing to lick japanese arse.

Nickzer_Teh_Pwn said:
Peter Molyneux, (although B&W was rubbish) is 10 tens more of a genius with titles like the movies and fable.

Yet his fave game is Mario 64 :) He's also turning his attention to the console market.

I have this avatar because I like Final Fantasy. I'm also a pc gamer first (clans etc) and a console gamer second.

Sure, those 4 console titles you pointed out were dissapointing. Shall I pick 4 sub-par pc games? will that prove anything? Of course not.

Nickzer_Teh_Pwn said:
as far as im concerned you are a typical fanboy. "Ohhh the japanese make such good games, miyamoto is a genius!!

Nickzer_Teh_Pwn said:
But its clear that you are one of these people that will stop at nothing to lick japanese arse.

Where are you getting this stuff from?? Because I like Anime you've come to this conclusion? You really do fuel your own fire Nickzer.

Nickzer_Teh_Pwn said:
the whole Looking Glass and ValvE teams could shit all over miyamoto's ugly little face.'

Think it's best you stop here :/

Why Miyamoto is the most overrated Games Developer of all time?

In your opinion. You're in the vast minority here tho. The fact is that Nintendo are the most respected games developers in the world, and Shigsy is one of the most respected developers.

No other company has produced such a consistantly high quality and quantity of video games. I'm sure you'll argue that all the games have been crap and for children ;) ....... but again, you're in the vast minority.

There's just no need to attack him personally :p how old are you? This, along with passed comments, suggests prejudice.

Why does it suggest prejudice, i hate the guy because he is overrated, you are just a japanese arse licker.
Miyamoto does not possess the class that the Looking Glass team did, you simply want to believe that because he is a japanese and you love japanese games and are a nintendo fan boy, it is a kiddy game for kids.

Nickzer_Teh_Pwn said:
Why does it suggest prejudice, i hate the guy because he is overrated, you are just a japanese arse licker.
Miyamoto does not possess the class that the Looking Glass team did, you simply want to believe that because he is a japanese and you love japanese games and are a nintendo fan boy, it is a kiddy game for kids.

lol

and you smell of poo poo!!!

Nickzer_Teh_Pwn said:
Miyamoto does not possess the class that the Looking Glass team did
Explain.

No, really. I want to see what you can come up with. Is it because he's designed some of the best games on any platform in the history of the games industry? Seriously: Go play Ocarina of Time, and tell us that it's not good. Maybe you should try Wind Waker as well. Or do you consider yourself too "mature" (term used loosely) to play a game with cel-shaded graphics?

By not playing Nintendo games, you're doing yourself a disservice.

Of course that's not to say I love all games. I hate some with a passion. But the ones I hate, I've either tried or have yet to play. I'm not a fan of Doom 3, but that's not to say I won't try out a demo, or play it at a friend's house.

People like Nickzer, are some of the reasons why I sometimes doubt the statement a lot of people come out with, which is "intelligent gamers play on the pc". I mean I'm very much in a similar position as warbie. First and foremost I'm a pc gamer and a console gamer second. I've been a part of big rpg communities like the ones on the BIS and interplay forums. I've rarely come across someone as narrowminded and sometimes downring stupid as Nickzer. I have come across plenty of people who just don't like console gaming, but they don't pretend that pc gaming is superior in every way.

I think it's best that this thread get locked, it's only going to lead to more flaming and it isn't going anywhere. Look at the arguments and points put forward by myself,warbie and a few others. Nickzer completely disregards those and comes out with "Oh yeah, pc games are still better, ner ner ner ner !"

If you dont like it then tough, Im not going to enter into a full fledged debate about who is right or wrong, because I will just get flamed, as has been proven.
So if the only way to make an argument to prove your point is to flame on these forums then so be it. I never saw any counter arguments other than ultra opinionated bollocks.

Console games really are a load of shit.
WTF WHY WAS NICKZER_TEH_PWN BANNED???

That is just so gay. I have re-read all of Nickzer_Teh_Pwn's posts and see absolutely nothing wrong with them. Its obvious somebody on this board didnt like his political opinions and allowed it to get in the way of professionalism. They would be more at home with thier own views on the yahoo news boards were you get things like:
"NUKE THE F****** SAND N******"

Where the hell do people like this guy come from? I think I'm gonna bring this thread to a psychiatrist so we can classify this sort of dementia.

Back