Gamespy post Gold interview

Robinhood_01

Reaction score
I don't know if this is old or not, i did a quick search but couldn't find anything.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/half-life-2/558931p1.html

Q. Will the boxed versions of HL2 require any sort of Steam installations?

Doug Lombardi: During installation the user will be prompted to authenticate the copy and create a Steam account. After that is complete, the single-player and LAN games do not require an Internet connection.

Q. When will the tools be released for the mod community?

Doug Lombardi: Now that development on the game is done, a number of engineers are preparing the first version of the Source SDK for release. I don't have an exact date for when this will be available, but it shouldn't be too much longer and will send out word when I have an ETA.

Q. Will we be seeing any new content/maps With CS: Source the only multiplayer component to HL2, are we going to be seeing any new content/maps in the retail version that people have not seen before?

Doug Lombardi: New content for CS: Source is forthcoming, as is Day of Defeat: Source and more. Please stay tuned.

Q. Now that CS has made the move to the Source engine, will community maps still be automatically downloadable in-game as was the case with the original HL/CS?

Doug Lombardi: Yes, and Steam allows us to load the map file in advance of the map change.

Q. Which of the formulas covers the ATI voucher?

Doug Lombardi: Bronze, or apply the value of Bronze to another one of the offers.

Q. What's the latest status on Team Fortress 2?

Doug Lombardi: After we announced TF2 on the HL1 tech, we made the decision to move it to the Source engine. It is still in development and we will be announcing more on that title soon.

Q. In the purchase formulas revealed, a previously announced rent per month through Steam option was missing. What is the status on that, or has that been scrapped?

Doug Lombardi: We'd still like to offer the option of a Steam purchase or a Steam subscription. But, for the near term, we will only be offering purchase options.

Q. Are there any plans for a standalone Half-Life 2 multiplayer part, deathmatch, co-op, somewhere down the line?

Doug Lombardi: Nope.

Okay, well, kinda works like Norton Utilities, sorta. You have to just be online to do a one-time Authentication. Then SP Half Life 2 can be played offline without having to be connected to Steam.

It's great to hear that there will be new content coming soon for both Counter-strike: Source and Day of Defeat: Source. Maybe Valve will re-make at least one DoD map into a high definition version?

doug lombardi said:
. What's the latest status on Team Fortress 2?

Doug Lombardi: After we announced TF2 on the HL1 tech, we made the decision to move it to the Source engine. It is still in development and we will be announcing more on that title soon.

is it just me, or has that responce been copied and pasted from a prevous answer?

Yes. So what?

You know these marketing guys like to have their 'official line' for specific questions which they repeat over and over as it has been carefully worded and considered so as not to give anything away they don't want given away.

To avoid slip ups, they just repeat it whenver required.

Doug Lombardi said:
Steam allows us to load the map file in advance of the map change.
Hey, thats pretty cool. Most everything else in that article wasn't really news, but it was still a good find.

Q. Are there any plans for a standalone Half-Life 2 multiplayer part, deathmatch, co-op, somewhere down the line?

Hahahaha! I told you all it was true. Wheres that guy that I bet $100 on this at?

WhiteZero said:
Hahahaha! I told you all it was true. Wheres that guy that I bet $100 on this at?

It was fluke!......honest....... :naughty:
........"gniddik ylno" - Extract "HL2 Test 3"

Robinhood_01 said:

ughhhh

poseyjmac said:
They wouldn't tell if there was going to be one ;)
However, pretty sure they won't bring something like it out in 2 months.

I like the idea of 'preloading' maps in CSS, and I can't wait for the new content (militia? :))

Good. I'm glad we've finally put the issue to bed.

how is that good? valve better release the map source files for hl2, thats all i have to say.

poseyjmac said:
how is that good? valve better release the map source files for hl2, thats all i have to say.

they are......therefore as you've heard before..... it's possible to "mod it in......."

:sniper:

Robinhood_01 said:

I'd like to think this is because the MP is already done and will be unleashed at 16th nov so there is no plan for that. Sorry, I know I know... I'm pathetic but the hope is the latest that is lost for me.

Who knows? perhaps Valve employers want to concentrate all their mp skills making TF2 based on the HL2 world (resistance vs combine in city 17 MP maps) instead based on the boring USA soldiers like all the games. Did you forgot all these TF2 spoilers from the HL2 alpha leak? :naughty:

|_HeLL_| said:
I'd like to think this is because the MP is already done and will be unleashed at 16th nov so there is no plan for that. Sorry, I know I know... I'm pathetic but the hope is the latest that is lost for me.

Who knows? perhaps Valve employers want to concentrate all their mp skills making TF2 based on the HL2 world (resistance vs combine in city 17 MP maps) instead based on the boring USA soldiers like all the games. Did you forgot all these TF2 spoilers from the HL2 alpha leak? :naughty:

sounds like it would make for an awesome tf2!!! :sniper:

Well, if Valve doesn't make resistance vs city 17 in MP maps, aliens vs combine, striders battles, conquer the combine fortress, manipulator battles throwing birthday cakes, and make use of all the source engine and hl2 content potential, people will do, and I will put my piece of work helping some team making nice textures :p

Back