Gaming LCD

ShinRa

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Not a bit fan of CRT's anymore. I want to get a 23" lcd, but not sure which are good, if any, for gaming. I know LCD's come with a lot of problems when it comes to gaming or viewing movies, but I just really don't like this huge monitor sitting on my desk anymore, plus 19" ain't cuttin it for me. So recommend me an awesome gaming LCD, at least 23". I wouldn't even know where to start looking.:rolling:

Granted you could run it at lower resolutions, but keep in mind LCDs look best when in their native resolution. I'm just wondering if your PC can handle 1600x1050 or 1920x1200 with newer games.

i have an x1900xt with a amd fx-57. dunno if that helps.

I have two dell 2407's, on two pcs:

One being a:

Pentium d [email protected] ;(
2 gigs 667 ram
x1900xt512

Another being a:
[email protected]
2 gigs 800 ram
8800 gts 640

Obviously the core 2 duo runs alot faster, but the pentium d runs just fine. At high resolutions, the gpu and cpu starts kicking in, if you have a good gpu, and a good cpu. I noticed an increase of 10 fps in oblivion when going to 1920x1200, mainly because of my core 2 duo.

You'll probably notice an increase in fps. If you have a 512 meg x1900xt. If not, you'll notice an increase if your cpu is dual core. If not....

I'd go for it though, never know when you get an 8800 gts, or a 2900xt...

But I'd avoid the 2500x1600 resolutions. The cpu and gpu work in tandem at 1920x1200, but they die at very, very high resolutions.

1920x1200 is the sweet spot. With a good gpu and cpu, you'll notice higher framerates then 1680x1050. Hell, my pentium d system got higher framerates at 1920x1200 then at 1680x1050....

My brother has a two 24" Samsung monitors that look incredible. They are LARGE too. When I decide to upgrade from what I'm using now, I'll probably get one of those.

I'll have to do some research before I buy one, and I don't know the model number, and I don't know if they are good for gaming, but if you are going to use it for gaming, make sure it isn't one of those heavy ghosting kinds.

I use an Apple Cinema HD 23" (1920x1200 native) with a 7800GTX and most games play very nicely at this resolution. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has trouble, but I'm not convinced that the game is entirely bug-free and F.E.A.R.: Extraction Point is a little rough at this resolution. You can always drop resolutions if your monitor is too 'big', but you can't add resolutions if your monitor is too small. I don't notice any ghosting, but it's possible I just don't notice it? I don't even know what the response times are for this model, but the games certainly look ace to me.

You can also chose to play games windowed at a res of 1024x786 on a 17" area of the monitor right? I thought there is an option to set that even if the game does not support windowed mode.

1920x1200 is the sweet spot. With a good gpu and cpu, you'll notice higher framerates then 1680x1050. Hell, my pentium d system got higher framerates at 1920x1200 then at 1680x1050....

wut? That's bullshit. Or there's something wrong with your pc.

You can also chose to play games windowed at a res of 1024x786 on a 17" area of the monitor right? I thought there is an option to set that even if the game does not support windowed mode.
Just be aware if your GFX card is running in 2D or 3D mode. Most cards today have a lower speed they drop to when running at the desktop. I know the mode is labeled 2D but it really switches when running the desktop and windows (even 3D). Can't recall if it is true for both ATI and Nvidia. Anyway, you can disable the 2D speed.

Move your desk under or in front of the 46" plasma from your sig. Now THAT's the way to game...:thumbs:

Back