Gee tar.

SpuD

Reaction score
Im going to start playing the Guitar, i know a lot of you play it, I want to know: Where can a find a good, affordable guitar, in the us.
And, what are some good sites/books/movies to learn?

Electric or Acoustic?

Because I also want to play the acoustic soon(it's on the very top of my Christmas List).

I would say look at your local music store first and then try online searches. In Texas Guitar Center and Brooke Mays come to mind, im sure each state has it's own music store though. If you still can't find anything that interests you (hard) look online, a lot of times people try to "upgrade" and sell their old stuff on ebay, you may be surprised at the stuff you can find on there.

If you really just want to learn you can always get a cheap guitar and then buy a better one when you are confident you want to keep at it.

What would you class as 'affordable'? Depending on how much you're willing to spend, you can get a decent guitar.

I'd recommend epiphone for very good quality, relatively cheap guitars (I think they're $200-$300 in the USA). Ibanez also do some nice guitars at a lower price.
Yamaha don't really have a name as a guitar manufacturer (mainly keyboards etc..), but they do make some quality guitars.

It really does depend on how much you want to spend, what style of music you want to play, and what guitars you like the look of.
I'm from the UK, so I dont know a lot about the US prices, but I'd recommend epiphone as I've been really impressed with the ones I've played - definitely good enough to gig/record with.

I would recommend going to a music store and playing around with a lot of their guitars, but if you dont know how to play anything at the moment, you're unlikely to get much benefit from doing this.

I would defenitly say get a Squire Strat. Its like a cheaper version of the Fender Strat. I got my first guitar (the squire) for like 120$ and i still play it. Its a good guitar.

Get a Martin Acoustic, those are the best. IMO. If you learn to play an acoustic first, electric will come easy. I've been playing for 13 years. Started on electric when I was 6. Got a candy apply red martin, played that for about a year, then switched back to electric. Im a much better player all around now!

I play guitar, i'm lefthanded, man thats hard to shop for.

IMO, a Squire is a good choice as is an Ibanez. A good (beginner) place to check out is Musician's Friend, but I personally go to SamAsh.com or Sweetwater.com

I'd go for an Electric/Acoustic guitar for learning. But if you are wanting to play the rock hard stuff just get a strat.

Go for one of those squire or ibanez beginner packs. They include the guitar, amp, and everything else you'll need. I order all my stuff from musiciansfriend.com or samash.com. On monday I blew 1000 bucks at samash on a new amp.

I have an amp, I do want both an acoustic and an electric, but I think electric will come first.

What good sites/books are there to teach you how to play?

Ibanez is a really good beginner guitar. And once you get good you can easily shred on one of those.

A frickin 12-string?! LMAO

EDIT: I actually always wanted a Les Paul....

looks good

BTW: on the subject of guitars and amps n stuff, my friend and I are arguing on which is better... analog (tubes: warm) or digital (solid state: cold).. any comments?

personal opinion innit :)

im getting an electic bass for xmas this year, and its probably going to be a fender. fenders are great guitars, if a little expensive. plus their old school, and everyone knows old school kills :D

Fenders are just like your typical sedan. Eveyone has one and yet they're still an all around good car (or guitar in this case).

<-- my fender :D

it's a usa hot rodded strat with a seymour duncan pearly gates in the bridge - very nice pickup.

I got a Peavey raptor plus with whami bar!

Good guitar, my dad got it a while ago.

I think it was around $200, but I may be wrong.

I learned how to play some of Metallica's One and Nothing Else Matters

Yep, the MSRP is $199

Whats a good site, that has the major chords, notes and all those goodies.

Ive got a Squier Strat and an Ibanez RG470

The strat is good all rounder, good for clean stuff, good for distortion/overdrive.. just not "great" at either, as you would see when you tried out more expensive models, but for the price its good.

The ibanez is great for distortion, but the standard pickups are kinda muddy, which makes clean playing not quite as good as I thought it might be.. but still a pretty good guitar overall. Ibanez guitars are a lot lighter than fenders/gibsons etc, and use a thinner neck than strats (Wizard II neck most commonly found on ibanez') which make solo work easier on those

Im hoping to get a new guitar though within the next 6-10 months.. possibly a Gibson X-Plorer Pro, Ibanez JEM SBL (forget exactly name) or a Fender Strat American Deluxe.. may invest in some EMG pickups for it afterwards too

I'm getting my friend a Flying V for his birthday. :) hehehe

Back