GF 4 4600 vs ATI 9600 pro?

shiv

Reaction score
Hiya
Right now I have a gf4 4600 and was thinking about upgrading to the ati 9600 pro before half life 2 comes out. Im planing on building a new computer next year around may so thats why I am thinking about upgrading to the more budget minded ati 9600 pro.
Has anyone else gone the route Im thinking about going? "gf 4 4600 to ati 9600 pro" And if so do you think it was worth it? thank for any replies. :)

I just ordered my 9600 pro off of newegg! My upgrade was a little more dramatic though, goin from a geforce4 MX420. I dont know if you should upgrade though, is there any HL2 benchmarks with the 4600? I would see if you could find any benchmarks that compares the two cards.

I just upgraded from a ti-4600 to a 9800np, and I have to tell you, I got ZERO preformance increases, and some of my games run even slower! and Ive got artifacts up the ying-yang!, and if 9600 is worse thatn 9800,, then I wouldnt recomend it

Well, the 9800 would be an upgrade (I dunno about the previous guy), but upgrading to a 9600 pro is wholly uneeded. Save for at least a 9800/9800 pro or even the upcoming 9800 XT if you want any real performance increases.

If you look at the benchmarks on www.anandtech.com or www.tomshardware.com you'll see that you'll get only a small increase in fps. So you wouldn't have to upgrade for the fps. Then there's the matter between DX8 & DX9. The difference isn't really that big IMO.

So I would say keep the TI4600, because there isn't much reason to upgrade. Save your money for a PCI-Express card...

PCI Expres is supposed to replace agp slots. Here is a small description I took from this url.
http://www.hardwareaccelerated.com/content/technology/pciexpress/index.php
PCI Express, (also known as Third Generation I/O, 3GIO, and Arapahoe) should allow us to have more than adequate bandwidth for another decade. Unlike its older cousin, PCI-Express is a fully serial interface, rather than the parallel bus architecture found in the current PCI bus. It can be used for many functions, including universal connectivity for use as a chip-to-chip interconnect, I/O interconnect for adapter cards, an I/O attach point to other interconnects. PCI Express can provide I/O attach points for high-performance graphics, 1394b, USB 2.0, InfiniBand Architecture, Gigabit networking and many other bandwidth hungry architectures.

Basically PCIE is capable of doing 10 GBps or 5 times faster than agp 8x. So yes, I would say it's faster.

Back