Going away, offering uncomplete map

mstrum

Reaction score
Hey. I'm leaving for quite a long time (HL3 will probably be out when I get back). Last December I started work on a pretty cool map. It's the library at my university (BYU). Anyway, here is a pic of the real one:

lee_lib.jpg

Here is a far shot:

library.jpg

That's the entrance way, a nice beautiful glass pyramid structure. That pyramid has large stairs that go down two floors. The front lawn has smaller glass pyramids which go into the first floor below ground (in my map you can break and jump into the large book-case filled room). There's some other cool stuff that I think would make a really cool map. Plus you get to do it in a library! I haven't been able to make a 'quiet please' sign yet.

I did some cool stuff like take pictures (the floor texture is the actual floor) to make the result acurate. There are lots of ways to get around in the map, you aren't stuck anywhere.

I will provide everything used to create the map. As far as completion, mainly only the architecture is close to finished (as far as layout). I would really like to give it to one person rather than just putting it out there.

Here are a few screens from hammer and ingame (don't know why textures aren't showing up in hammer):

Full.jpg

Lobby.jpg

Office.jpg

Periodicals.jpg

sourceComputer Lab.jpg

dm_library0000.jpg

dm_library0001.jpg

dm_library0003.jpg

dm_library0008.jpg

Yes, the basement is flooded =).

I started mid-December and stopped early January because of my work :| . It is a HL2 : DM map but I can see a good CS:S version too. Anyway, I'm too sleepy to spellcheck. Must go to bread...

it looks pretty nice im sure i could make use for it in my mod can i have it?

Could be a nice counterstrikesorce map. I can easyly imagine that the terrorist have a couple of hossies somwhere in the school, and the ct's start outside. me thinks that would've been the RoCkSoRs!!

it's pretty, but why do so many people map their school/university anyway?

well its nice to map somewhere you go regulaly as you can try to make it really detailed and has a kind of sentimental value to you and people that have been there before.

crackhead said:
well its nice to map somewhere you go regulaly as you can try to make it really detailed and has a kind of sentimental value to you and people that have been there before.

Some people map their schools for that reason. Back when Duke Nukem 3D was new I mapped my school and put a bunch of monsters around. I shot em up while pretending they were ppl I didn't like.

Some people map their schools for that reason. Back when Duke Nukem 3D was new I mapped my school and put a bunch of monsters around. I shot em up while pretending they were ppl I didn't like

have you ever considered seeking profesional help. just kidding.

so can i have the map or not?

It looks a bit too big for a CS:S map and probably for DM as well.

DM's all about fast-paced gameplay. Because of the distances travelled (especially considering the outside area is just one level) it wouldn't be that great for that purpose. The inside on its own might work.

The main point that needs addressing is that you would be fitting a game dynamic (badly in my opinion) onto a map and not the other way around. Map's rarely work to near-full potential as pure carbon copies of real places as they generally don't meet the requirements of a specific game.

[Edit] CS:S maps needs to be fairly small as well to allow for players to move between objective points reasonably quickly. A larger area for the CTs to cover before they reach the objectives gives more time for the Terrorists to camp the entrances, picking off CTs from distance (and generally slowing down their progress vis a vis the round timer). If the CTs atarted nearer the building the whole of the foreground in those screen shots would be superfluous to gameplay and not merit the minimal esthetic value it gives over the increased demand on system resources. The argument could also be made that the round time could be lengthened, but who realistically want to sit in the deadbox for more than 5 minutes at a time?

This map would work best (with some informed adjustments) either for an infiltration-style map. This usually means single player or co-op play but this could mean a team multiplayer game where each team member has a specific role and the team must split off into smaller groups in order to infiltrate the building (cut off power to X, disable security guard watching the camaras in room Y, plant demolition charges at Z, enter vent system at point Q, etc.).

There's probably a Mod out there that is aiming for that sort of thing.

thats why i want it for my mod. i dont have anymaps yet n it would be good to test stuff out in-game.

id like to have it just to learn, ya know like how you did all the glass and 3D sky box. Im having tons of problems with my map so looking at others custom maps really helps solve them...

theres many tutorials on glass and sky box. for glass u just need to make a brush func_breakable or func_breakable_surf for css type glass a d select glass for the material and for the gibs.

Ok, I gave crackhead the map for his mod.

I am still willing to give it to individuals working on mods or for cs : s/hl2 : dm. I am just not giving the map to more than one person for the same game.

no hes just offering the map because hes moving away and wont be able to work on it anymore therefore he cant work on any other maps.

Rwk-Damage said:
Are you willing to make any maps for other mods?

like crackheard said, I'm going away. I'll be back by late 2007 :p . Hey, saw that you are from Canada, that's where I'm going! (Will be in the Vancouver area)

if the offer is still going, we could use this map in some interesting ways. I'm working on Dragonball Source (link in my signature) which is basically an rpg which has large maps for flight and arial battles involving energy beams, etc. Very cartoony yeah i know, but this map looks nice and open, which would work for combat in our mod, and has the indoors area, which would work for the rpg elements that we will have.

If you've already given the map (plus any textures) to crackhead, i will be able to get it off him since i'm working with him on a different project as well. I'll only do that if you give me permission to thou :) Otherwise you can contact me at [email protected] on MSN (or email that address) or PM me here.

The map would go to good use, plus by the time you return, you'll be able to blow it up very easily with out mod ;)

Your idea sounds like a good use for the map, but your email account will be spammed if you write it in standard form on publically accessible internet pages.
[a] > @
[dot] > .

vancouver burnaby:p who else lives in the lower mainland?

-Crispy- said:
Your idea sounds like a good use for the map, but your email account will be spammed if you write it in standard form on publically accessible internet pages.
[a] > @
[dot] > .

i know this is a lil offtopic but... :)

thats a common missunderstanding imo, this is a new email account because my old one gets loadsa spam daily, buti've done tests like this before. So far, i've gotten no spam, and account is like a month old. My email address has been plastered up in many places, and no spam (apart from those hotmail announcements). In previous tests, i changed my ebay and paypal accounts email addresses to a new one, and had no spam, then weeks later i did something fatal. I tested out Amazon by changing my email there. I gradually got loads of spam daily. Now i use amazon on a diff email account, and atm, no spam ;) tbh, it's weird, i keep thinking my emails not working because i don't get spam... you almost miss getting spam in some weird way :)

anywayz, back on topic. I hope you not left yet :) cos i look forward to using this map in my mod :D

your textures probably dont show up in hammer because you don't have textured geometry selected in the view menu for that window :)

nice map.

UltraProAnti said:
it's pretty, but why do so many people map their school/university anyway?

Also, because any other people cant flame the map. The designer can just write back; The school is that way!

Back