Good Point!

Frizz

Reaction score
I was just reading this:

http://www.thegamingunion.co.uk/Forum/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004926

what do u all think about this then?

Gaming "Union"? --Ouch
True, that does support a good point. The new vampire game is using the Source engine am I right?
Since Half-Life 2 is delayed, the company can't release Vampire before Half-Life 2 or the source engine is really Vampire's engine.
Depends which game came out first.

I want Bloodlines :) I'v been looking foward to that as much as hl2

Originally posted by Tredoslop
Gaming "Union"? --Ouch
True, that does support a good point. The new vampire game is using the Source engine am I right?
Since Half-Life 2 is delayed, the company can't release Vampire before Half-Life 2 or the source engine is really Vampire's engine.
Depends which game came out first.

Valve created the source engine, its their engine whichever game comes out first.. It'll just further ruin sales if it does come out before HL2.. I doubt it will though as I would think part of their particular licence agreement would have included a clause that Valve must release their game first or within a sensible period time before the other could appear.. Both protecting Valve from being out done by a company using their engine releasing their game first and also ensuring that if some major problem occured with HL2, the other company would be able to release after a certain period of time deemed reasonable by both sides

Or something like that.

True, I was just thinking, if Bloodline is the first game to use the source engine and it's not Half-Life 2, it'll seem like it's Bloodline's engine.
I said seem/feel etc...

True, I was just thinking, if Bloodline is the first game to use the source engine and it's not Half-Life 2, it'll seem like it's Bloodline's engine.
I said seem/feel etc...

Everyone knows that source is valve's, if bloodlines wanted to say otherwise a lawsuit would be in order.

I said seem/feel etc...

to the general public yeah.. alas the public in a large enough group can be as thick as pig shit sometimes, so your probably right, they will think that :( Especially when you throw in the media who write up stories based on what they heard from a friend of a friend of a friend who over heard a guy in some public toilets muttering to himself in some stall

We should keep an eye on bloodline's release date, I still think there must be a clause preventing them from getting in before Valve do.. Even if Valve were convinced at the time they would be ready, their lawyers would insist on adding the clause to protect themselves, and if they didn't, they need new lawyers :)

The makers of Bloodlines couldn't even talk about the game untill HL2 was announced.. so I doubt that they would be able to release Bloodlines before HL2

cheers damaged

I agree with ElFuhrer, bloodlines doesn't quite have that edge HL2 has, quality wise. Maybe down to a lower budget or less time to put it together. Couple of map images looked ok, the characters not so good. Couldn't tell if it was using any fancy DX9 features either

Course stuff like that isn't super important, its whether its fun to play or not. I guess I can't help but sort of feel it might end up being a missed oppertunity.. I wonder if the source engine has some curse on it, wonder how other games and mods will look

oh and I'll probably still buy bloodlines.. they may have added features to the engine that HL2's version wont have. Could end up being handy for modding, who knows.

Seeing this is going to be RPG oriented... what kind of cool things are they intending to do with the physics? Will they also have a gun that manupulates objects?

i dunno.. theres a couple of vids there that might have a mention of one, but i'm not signing up on there just to download them

Originally posted by Non-Sequitur
Seeing this is going to be RPG oriented... what kind of cool things are they intending to do with the physics? Will they also have a gun that manupulates objects?

These are Vampires. One word: Telekinetics.

:E:E:E:E:E

Vampires with telekinetics?

weird.

I like to think of vampires as they are in hellsing, red eyes, extreme strength, and hard to kill.

They bought the license for the engine, I don't see any reason why the game should be held back because of HL2.

Originally posted by nw909
Vampires with telekinetics?

weird.

I like to think of vampires as they are in hellsing, red eyes, extreme strength, and hard to kill.

Hellsing rocks!

-Ghost

americas army came out before ut2003 and you dont see people calling all these games the "americas army" engine...

source(hl2 engine duh :p) = images + game itself...

Havok = physics (its an addon u can add to ur game (if u pay the price)) max payne 2, scarsky and hutch, ut2004(?) and some other games have (or will have) it...

I am really looking forward to this game. It looks like it could be really great. I hope that it does not get pushed back because Half-Life 2 is (probably) getting pushed back. That would be terrible, although I think it would probably be the case. I doubt Valve would want their engine being seen first with bloodlines. It would steal alot of Half-Life 2's steam.

I'll try not to go off-topic, but I think UT 2004 will actually use a well-coded version of Karma physics (yuck), otherwise it would most likely have an option to have an interactive environment, such as Starsky and Hutch [insert retro music here]. The difference between Karma and Havok is pure "holy le crappa!"

Yes, UT2004 uses Karma physics for ragdolls and vehicles which ,I would have to agree with you, kind of suck (compared to Havok anyway).

Originally posted by Bud SWAT[wo]
americas army came out before ut2003 and you dont see people calling all these games the "americas army" engine...

No but that was because UT, Unreal, UT2003 and Unreal 2 are all basically the same engine but in different builds.
UT2003 is a much newer build than AA, and AA was certainly not the first game to use the Unreal engine.

HL2 will no doubt look and feel better than VtM:B simply because Valve naturally have a better understanding of its capabilities than troikas development team, and will push it much harder.

The only rational reason for Troika potentially moving back their release date would be if the 'release' of the Source code impacted upon their product in some way (IE multiplayer). Time is money after all and when your not shipping, your not making any. Valve can afford to potentially delay a release because they have the bank balance for it, but not all developers are so blessed financially (look at the ill fated Y -Project for example).

Back