Goof in Half-Life 2

wait, maybe that wasn't directed at me.
damn...i'm new to this forum menagerie

hardcorus said:
wait, maybe that wasn't directed at me.
damn...i'm new to this forum menagerie
I dont think it was. ;) No worries. Welcome to the forums.

To paraphrase:
StardogChampion said:
You say the [plug sockets wouldn't be there] in real life, but I don't hear a word about teleportation devices and aliens invading earth :D
Stardog is my new hero.

I have a wierd socket in my house ill take a pic tommorow but its really huge and looks all awesomey

nofx said:
I have a wierd socket in my house ill take a pic tommorow but its really huge and looks all awesomey

"Awesomey" - that's my new word from now on.

nofx said:
Might be your washing machine's outlet?

There are also aliens from another dimension in Eastern Europe but you don't see me complaining.

Jadewolf5675 said:
There are also aliens from another dimension in Eastern Europe but you don't see me complaining.

Can you show me where it says HL2 takes place in eastern Europe?

Since those outlets aren't avaliable in europe, the only possible conclusion is that City 17 is in Canada.

After all, toques are a standard part of the resistance uniform. :D

American outlets in Europe? How about American accents in Europe? Where are all the Europeans?

I'm telling you: Canada!

We're the most american people on Earth, other than americans. And just walk around Ottawa for a bit and you'll find a sign written in some crazy language or another.

Not only that, but Northern Petrol? And the toques!
All the evidence is right there!

CriYam said:
And that would be Ms. Smarty-Hair to you.

CriYam said:
And in my bathroom there's plugs, if I wanted to curl my hair, or I decide to grow a beard because I feel like using an electric shaver it's there.

Does not compute.

Feath said:
Does not compute.

It was just my way of telling people why there are sockets by the sink in the bathroom. :upstare:

edit: I think the guy who pointed out this socket thing deserves a round of applause, this opens the door to city 17 being in quite a few places.

CriYam said:
It was just my way of telling people why there are sockets by the sink in the bathroom. :upstare:

edit: I think the guy who pointed out this socket thing deserves a round of applause, this opens the door to city 17 being in quite a few places.

It would be a nice trick if you could do it anyway.

Anyway, I don't understand the speculation over the location of City 17. It isn't anywhere, and it doesn't have to be anywhere for the story. It's one of those made up citys that are in a general area. Valve won't have designed it to be anywhere but "Eastern Europe".

Feath said:
It would be a nice trick if you could do it anyway.

Anyway, I don't understand the speculation over the location of City 17. It isn't anywhere, and it doesn't have to be anywhere for the story. It's one of those made up citys that are in a general area. Valve won't have designed it to be anywhere but "Eastern Europe".

Does Valve say it is in eastern Europe?

Very nice detail pointed out. I would have never thought of looking at something like that. It's almost the same as the stencil spray on the walls of the evolution to be impossible to stencil spray.

CriYam said:
Does Valve say it is in eastern Europe?
Yes. Ever since it was announced.
"Half-life 2 takes place somewhere in eastern Europe."

good god, a 4 page thread based on a picture of a socket

madness knows no bounds...lol

AJ Rimmer said:
Yes. Ever since it was announced.
"Half-life 2 takes place somewhere in eastern Europe."

Link please, all I find are oddball game review sites saying eastern Europe was the basis.

Dr. A said:
good god, a 4 page thread based on a picture of a socket

madness knows no bounds...lol
Yeah its incredible, does anyone thought of the fact that there might not even have been a meeting about the sockets?
For real, someone was mapping this, and found out that there was no socket texture. "yo jim!, you know where the digicam is?"
There's your texture.

satch919 said:
This is in the year 2010 so maybe Europe adopted our(American) power outlets. ;)

Damn you guys are picky. :LOL:

Yeah, apart from the fact that ours are better.

Cyphersphere said:
Too think that this thread got this many replys over a power outlet :D
You should have seen the thread about the size of the laser sight on the RPG. Pre-release of course.

AJ Rimmer said:
You should have seen the thread about the size of the laser sight on the RPG. Pre-release of course.

lol, I've got to look up that thread. It's funny how such trivial things spark up the biggest conversations.

AFAIK the game was just based on Eastern Europe for the purpose of map design. The art director thought the drab brick houses and uniformity of it suited the opressive atmosphere or something.

That is, unless everyone from the original game was relocated/moved to the same place in Eastern Europe. And what about Eli's lab - Black Mesa East? Or is that just a commemorative type thing - in which case, who the hell would want to commemorate something so awful? And yeah, then there's the accents thing... unless Breen has decided to phase those out, too :p

Edit - I'm not flaming the thread starter, it's a neat observation, and if anything it strengthens my case ;)

Back