Gordan Freeman doesnt talk y's that???

• Thread starter na@@$^__^$$:.:.]
  • Start date
N

na@@$^__^$$:.:.]

y is it wen people ask gordan a question,He dus not anser.I suppose he cannnot talk but y's that that is y i set up this new thread 2 ask if any1 cud tell me y gordan dus not talk please tell me!!!! :rolleyes:

It's about the immersion factor of the game. Valve wanted to make it feel like you were playing the game, not just some one-dimensional, one-liner spouting clone.

As much as I don't want to help you, I will, because I'm nice :)

Gordon doesn't speak because he was abused as a child.

Axyon said:
It's about the immersion factor of the game. Valve wanted to make it feel like you were playing the game, not just some one-dimensional, one-liner spouting clone.

for example, jack from farcry. :LOL:

not to start a flamewar, but I didn't exactly like jack.

Gordon is numb, so he can only use signs to tell his squad where to go. Or pinch people to make them talk.

I still maintain that he lost his mind during blackmesa. He’s that guy… you all know him from work… he doesn’t talk much… smart as hell… but creepy… something happens and wham… he snaps. In this case Gordon is traumatized by the early events in blackmesa which turn him into a mute and a killing machine. (taking out black ops!) Sure he is on the right side but… so it Father Gregory…
Overwatch said:
Gordon is numb, so he can only use signs to tell his squad where to go. Or pinch people to make them talk.
would that be dumb not numb?

Overwatch said:
Hehe, sry english is not my primary language.
I meant mute.
Oh that wasn’t meant as an insult... Dumb is a word we used in English to mean to mute... it’s a bit outdated however... I thought that was what you meant… I wasn’t insinuating that you were dumb…

The other characters respond to the generic conversationial statements that Freeman says in the game, you just don't hear his voice because you're techinically saying it.

Way better than Serious Sam ("Looks like the party's started...") or Duke Nukem or Jack from FC imho.

Ennui said:
The other characters respond to the generic conversationial statements that Freeman says in the game, you just don't hear his voice because you're techinically saying it.

Way better than Serious Sam ("Looks like the party's started...") or Duke Nukem or Jack from FC imho.
Oh sure... bring the truth into this why don't you.... ;)

Maybe ppl will hate me deeply bcuz i say this:

i think the fact that Gordon never says anything is very very dumb....its a big flaw in the whole game...just bcuz you are the player, you and i are cannot "merge" with gordon...cuz he's mute and empty!!
I no the main reason 4 the "emptyness" is that "i'm Gordon freeman..."

BUT!
I dunno why, maybe its just me, maybe not but i cannot "merge" with an "empty" character. its impossible!

I hear this very often: "you are Gordon Freeman"

Ooh please... i'm not a mute creature...I CAN TALK!!
At least the Valve ppl should build a convo system between the NPCs
Like in the first Deus Ex...it was brilliant. *worship*
Wow...not that would be awesome!!! o_O

(Flame me, call me an idiot if you want, but thats how i feel since i've played the very first Half-Life.)

na@@$^__^$$:.:.] said:
y is it wen people ask gordan a question,He dus not anser.I suppose he cannnot talk but y's that that is y i set up this new thread 2 ask if any1 cud tell me y gordan dus not talk please tell me!!!! :rolleyes:

Dude, you have the WORST grammar I have EVER heard.

Derwen_Llewelyn said:

i think the fact that Gordon never says anything is very very dumb....its a big flaw in the whole game...just bcuz you are the player, you and i are cannot "merge" with gordon...cuz he's mute and empty!!

BUT!
I dunno why, maybe its just me, maybe not but i cannot "merge" with an "empty" character. its impossible!

(Flame me, call me an idiot if you want, but thats how i feel since i've played the very first Half-Life.)
I just think it’s a fun quirk... something unique to the series.

Man, I hated Jack. They tried to make him badass, but between the sucky voice actor and the stupid touristy shirt, he just sounded like a selfish whiner. At least with Sam and Duke the cliche fit with the rest of the game.

(Don't get me wrong, I loved the gameplay. Until I got the the helicopter, at which point I quit.)

I think giving gordon a voice would have taken away from the overall feel of the game. Gordon is pretty much a mystery to me: All I know is that he's a scientist who was in the wrong place at the wrong time... Now hes a vigilante for the human population. Not giving him a voice only adds to the mystery, but in a good way. Players can use their imagination, rather than be given something already there.

Kind of like the movie Alien. Some of the scariest moments in that movie was what you didn't see....

I can't comprehend the viewpoint of these people saying it's stupid not having him speak or showing any cut scenes. I know people that literally hate the game just because of those two things. They think it's inconcieveable and amateurish not putting in speaking or cut scenes...

The lack of those two things in HL and HL2 are an integral part of what makes the game so great. Can anyone think of one other game that generated as much philisophical discussion, clue hunting, dialogue anylization, and wild theories that HL2 has created?

Of course, I think all of them are strictly console gamers... And I bet they watch the SpikeTV video game awards too.

Can anyone think of one other game that generated as much philisophical discussion, clue hunting, dialogue anylization, and wild theories that HL2 has created?

Yes...same with Deus Ex.. :rolleyes:

Of course, I think all of them are strictly console gamers... And I bet they watch the SpikeTV video game awards too.

I'm not a console gamer.....i hate consoles i'm a PC user..lol

The game Deus Ex was brilliant..(the second one was a crappy console shit btw. thats why i hate the consoles)
I hate the TV 2, and i don't know what is "Spike TV" btw i'm a bloody outlander i know.

Peace!! :)

Digital_Junkie said:
Nice stereotype... Now explain to me how insulting them is more likely to modify their behavior instead of making them angry and unwilling to listen to your points…

Oh... I'd better play Deus Ex then... I only played the second one and thought it sucked so I didn't bother with the first.

Digital_Junkie said:
Can anyone think of one other game that generated as much philisophical discussion, clue hunting, dialogue anylization, and wild theories that HL2 has created?
Um, just about anything from Bungie?

Well, Valve made him to be a silent character or he doesn't want to talk.

English: The tool of the smart non-foreign man

In other words:

Engwish:tha tooel uf the smrt nun-forin mann.

Dude, don't you watch Playschool?

Derwen_Llewelyn said:

BUT!

It occasionally feels a tad stupid, yes, but I don't want a pre-recorded voice for Gordie, it works in some fps, but not in half-life I think. convo systems always suck.

It is possible to make one without Gordon having a voice. Look at Codename Gordon, that had an awesome convo system which consisted of question + exclamation marks and random smileys. :p

Derwen_Llewelyn said:

You're right. People will hate you because you said that.

Derwen_Llewelyn said:
BUT!

That's your freaking problem..

Derwen_Llewelyn said:
Dude, it's freakin' Half-Life not some gay-ass-role-action-fps-wannabe-awesome-and-be-the-best-game-evah game!

Derwen_Llewelyn said:
Yes, I will call you an idiot and I want to flame you.

Half-Life 2 roxorz my boxorz! Deus Ex can just suck not-so-big-but-hairy monkey balls!

No wonder he doesn't talk when you speak/type like that! :rolleyes:

PenaE said:
You're right. People will hate you because you said that.

That's your freaking problem..

Dude, it's freakin' Half-Life not some gay-ass-role-action-fps-wannabe-awesome-and-be-the-best-game-evah game!

Yes, I will call you an idiot and I want to flame you.

Half-Life 2 roxorz my boxorz! Deus Ex can just suck not-so-big-but-hairy monkey balls!

Belive it or not....this is a forum!! People are posting different opinions, if you don't like other opinions, that's okay, but don't behave like a hissy little child. Please! grow up!

Have a nice day.

wll gordan dusnt talk bcuz he thnks ur stpid fr typin' lyk dis k bye.

It seriously creeps me out when people type like this. I don't get why they do it...to save time? It's like some twisted version of "newspeak" from the book 1984. How can you possibly convey and kind of subtlety or emotion or anything when youre typing shit like "omg u 2?".

Shit! Almost forgot!!! You see the grouping of keys near the lower right-hand corner of the letter keys with weird symbols like . , ; : ? That is called punctuation.

Do they teach u that in skool????

Mobile phones, SMS. I think that explains it.

I don't like how Gordon is mute either, at the same time I do like it. I think it adds to the immersion factor, but also detracts from it. Weird eh? :rolling:

omgwtfhax gordon dusnt talk!!! omg tat is soo nut kool!!! gordon kneeds 2 tork or elses ajgbdo'sag'sdoj bsjb oj'g'jd b!!!

I like Gordon not talking too btw

Danimal said:
omgwtfhax gordon dusnt talk!!! omg tat is soo nut kool!!! gordon kneeds 2 tork or elses ajgbdo'sag'sdoj bsjb oj'g'jd b!!!

I like Gordon not talking too btw
Wow, you make fun of the guy and then you say "btw?"

Congratulations, you have officially failed at life.

I think I can merge with Gorden.

Me: I am....

Gorden: Weeeeee.....

Gorden Freeman: Yeeeeesssssssssssssss

(only people who played the first Deus Ex would most likley get what I was trying to do)

Gordon doesn't talk because Daddy never hugged him and he didn't get his Microscope for Christmas when he was 8.

the reason Gordon doesnt talk is bcoz the game assumes YOU are Gordon.

So if you want Gordon to talk, just simply say anything and talk to the monitor (with the NPCS). although that would make you look pretty "effed"-in-the-head.

dj_flameskull said:
the reason Gordon doesnt talk is bcoz the game assumes YOU are Gordon.

So if you want Gordon to talk, just simply say anything and talk to the monitor (with the NPCS). although that would make you look pretty "effed"-in-the-head.
lol... nice one. :LOL:

The hotdog man said:
I think I can merge with Gorden.

Me: I am....

Gorden: Weeeeee.....

Gorden Freeman: Yeeeeesssssssssssssss

(only people who played the first Deus Ex would most likley get what I was trying to do)

Oooh yess...i get it!! lmao!!!

Back