Gordon Has A Mohawk! (A timeline of looks)

Hah Half-Life 2 Barney looks like that dude who played Inspector Gadget, if they were to make a Half-Life movie that would be the perfect person to play Barney.

Any of you guys seen the video where the security guard pushed the scientist towards the monster, allowing him to be killed so he can make his getaway? Creepy stuff.

Sai said:
is it just me or am i the only person that finds it wierd that original hl had real time shadows while the new one does not

http://www.planethalflife.com/nostalgia/halflife/screens/beatup.jpg

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halflife/screens.html?page=6

I think I remember from somewhere that they didn't include shadows because they looked bad, or maybe there are shadows but they're activated by a console command, and they must be, well, bad

Anyone up to look for the 1997 version of the game on the net? I am :E

well, considering the fact that Ken Birdwell hinted out a leaked download on the net, and deducting that Valve isn't really interested in this "old version" anymore, I really don't think it's immoral now since their's a better version out and our only real purpose to download it is to check out Valve's old work...

rofl this stuff is great! I tried to find that build, but the net is too clutered with hl2 leak stuff (news posts etc.) to find it easily. That, and my searching skills are poor. Anybody have any luck searching for it?

gusolson said:
rofl this stuff is great! I tried to find that build, but the net is too clutered with hl2 leak stuff (news posts etc.) to find it easily. That, and my searching skills are poor. Anybody have any luck searching for it?

I'm looking.. but I have the same problems as you. Especially since there's not alot to go on, as the name is the same

Someone should ask him if he can release it, they have nothing to lose afterall, it'd be so much fun :)

Just a google tip:

If you want to omit something from showing that you weren't searching for (for example, you're searching for HL and HL2 shows up) just type "-2" after your search query without the quotations and you'll get nothing concerning HL2, only HL.

I remember shadows in the original Halflife. They weren't there by default, you had to type "r_shadows 1" in the console, not even a menu option for them. I tought they looked ok, well ok enough for them to be optioned in the menu. I think they where disabled around the time CS beta 4 or 5 came out.

are things in the 1997 content that are cool
like that aliens

Someone should ask him if he can release it, they have nothing to lose afterall, it'd be so much fun

I second that, I'd try to send them an email again but Valve hasn't replied to the latest batch of them :(

It seems that the original was going to be more humorous and chitty. Maybe Valve did the same thing with HL2 ???

Gabe is Maried !!!

cool pics, thx for showing them here

I can't believe that nobody knows the story behind the original build of HL!

As the story goes, Valve was a small, independant, financially-strapped game developer working on one little project...HalfLife. Well, they put a pretty significant amount of work into the project, but couldn't afford to finish it (those original build screens are from this phase of HL). Along comes Sierra On-Line (at the time, on the decline but still the Adventure Game King and a monster in the industry), who sees the potential in HL and makes a deal with Valve...they finance the game's completion and, in return, get the publishing rights. Supposedly, it was like winning the lottery for little ole Valve. With serious the serious financial backing of Sierra behind them, Valve ends up redesigning and remaking HL into the game we all know and love today.

Oh, and the screens from the original HL build are mostly from a "making of" demo on the Diablo Hellfire CD that Sierra published in 1997 (or, at least, that's the only "official" place I've ever seen them). There's some really interesting stuff in that little demo.

wow never realised it was on the disc.
i have hellfire.

think i seen those screen shots long ago..hmm.. interesting to see them again being so close to the HL2 release date and all.. :)

Bing_Oh said:
I can't believe that nobody knows the story behind the original build of HL!

As the story goes, Valve was a small, independant, financially-strapped game developer working on one little project...HalfLife. Well, they put a pretty significant amount of work into the project, but couldn't afford to finish it (those original build screens are from this phase of HL). Along comes Sierra On-Line (at the time, on the decline but still the Adventure Game King and a monster in the industry), who sees the potential in HL and makes a deal with Valve...they finance the game's completion and, in return, get the publishing rights. Supposedly, it was like winning the lottery for little ole Valve. With serious the serious financial backing of Sierra behind them, Valve ends up redesigning and remaking HL into the game we all know and love today.

Oh, and the screens from the original HL build are mostly from a "making of" demo on the Diablo Hellfire CD that Sierra published in 1997 (or, at least, that's the only "official" place I've ever seen them). There's some really interesting stuff in that little demo.

I think Gabe financed the whole thing himself ala the mass money he made off early investment in Microsoft.

They decided as a company to scrap the original Half-Life, I think sometime after E3, because it just wasn't as good a game as they wanted. That's when they created the cabal, amongst other things.

I remember reading how Gabe was a little uneasy because he was paying the employees out of his own pocket.

I honestly don't think that it is in any way possible to pay a whole company from your own pocket........unless your name is bill gates and you would work in a small company with let's say... 20 men :bounce:

Well, Valve took most of the money they made on HL1 and gave it back to the company so that they could make HL2!

And when you've sold a few million games, you get loads of $$$cash.

Bling Bling

Back