Gordon - highly skilled weapons expert??!!??

hey people dont forget ITS A GAME! maybe there is no logical reason. maybe its not real.

Ozmodiar said:
I would guess that the HEV suit manages your weapons. For example, in HL1, if you don't have the HEV suit when you get a weapon (i.e., in a custom map or by cheating), you can't see the HUD for changing weapons.
Maybe the HEV has special magnetic plates, so when you need to put away that pistol, you can just stick it on your thigh or shoulder, and it locks into place.
The HEV suit was originally designed for manipulating hazardous materials and Xen artifacts, so it probably has special snark pouches also.

Are there any pictures of gordon with HEV-Suite on and all those 12 weapons sticking all off of him? must look like a hedgehog :p
I want to see him jump and swim like that......

its because its a hullucination!!!!!1!

he is strapped to a bed in a mental hospital while sleeping....

its all in his mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15357 said:

Hehe, Gordon the schitzofrenic(sp?), G-man's voice always in his mind. You are doing wellll, Doctor Freeman, you've just killed a bullssssssquiddd with your ssss-sss-sssshotgun.

Heh.

But wouldn't that suck? HL3 - you wake up, and you're in a straightjacket.

but he manages to get out of the straightjacket.....

and so this is born:

HL3: escape from the institution

dude wtf?

Ozmodiar said:
I would guess that the HEV suit manages your weapons. For example, in HL1, if you don't have the HEV suit when you get a weapon (i.e., in a custom map or by cheating), you can't see the HUD for changing weapons.
Maybe the HEV has special magnetic plates, so when you need to put away that pistol, you can just stick it on your thigh or shoulder, and it locks into place.
The HEV suit was originally designed for manipulating hazardous materials and Xen artifacts, so it probably has special snark pouches also.

you mean like ROBOCOP?
hehe :monkee:

Laivasse said:
I don't think it is. Grammatically, if Gordon hardly earned his PhD - as in he was only just smart enough to get it - he hardly earned it, full stop. If he has hardly earned it at *random point in time*, it means that at that point in time, he had only just earned it.

To summarise, if you were talking about intelligence you would never say "He had hardly earned it", you would simply say "He hardly earned it" because it will always be true.

If anything, Breen's speech tells us that Gordon is even more academically brilliant due to being scooped up straight after having earned his letters.
A time was given because Breen is saying that Gordon hasn't had any opportunity to advance, "he'd only just scraped through his PHD at the time of the incident and after that he was in no position to develop any new skills".

didn't you know they have a special weapons training program in MIT? :D

subtlesnake said:
A time was given because Breen is saying that Gordon hasn't had any opportunity to advance, "he'd only just scraped through his PHD at the time of the incident and after that he was in no position to develop any new skills".

Yes I agree with that - Breen is saying that Gordon is no different from your average scientist, there should be nothing special about him, because he's had no time to train to defend himself or kill people or whatever. He's pretty much saying that Gordon was just a young whelp back at BM. What he isn't saying is that Gordon is stupid and that he only just managed to earn his PhD, he's saying that he only just earned it time-wise before ending up at BM.

This makes Gordon seem academically impressive because how many PhD students get whisked off to top secret research institutes straight after getting their qualification? It also makes Gordon seem puny, physically, because apparently he is after all just a normal scientist with no special survival training, etc. The latter meaning is Breen's intended message.

Laivasse said:
Yes I agree with that - Breen is saying that Gordon is no different from your average scientist, there should be nothing special about him, because he's had no time to train to defend himself or kill people or whatever. He's pretty much saying that Gordon was just a young whelp back at BM. What he isn't saying is that Gordon is stupid and that he only just managed to earn his PhD, he's saying that he only just earned it time-wise before ending up at BM.

It depends how you interpret barely. If it's to be taken in the time sense then sure, but it could also have been used in the sense of his qualification, meaning he'd only just managed to pass the requirements. That doesn't necessarily mean Gordon is stupid, and looking at the actual quote, the context is different to what I thought.

I think Breen is saying that Gordon is just an ordinary scientist, that on the face of it, his PHD doesn't mean a whole lot. Breen's message is that Gordon is just an ordinary guy, nothing more.

This makes Gordon seem academically impressive because how many PhD students get whisked off to top secret research institutes straight after getting their qualification? It also makes Gordon seem puny, physically, because apparently he is after all just a normal scientist with no special survival training, etc. The latter meaning is Breen's intended message.
I thought this was done through Gordon's mentor, Dr. Kliener. Lots of qualifications are undertaken with the prospect of a job at the end of the course. I'd imagine Black Mesa needs plenty of moderately able scientists to act as research assistants.

Well, all I'd like to think is this-
\capslock
IF I SAW SOME MONKEY FREAKY CRAP LIKE HEADCRABS FLING AT MY HEAD, OR SOME ELITE D00DS ATTEMPTING TO KILL ME, YOU BETTA BELIVE I'D LEARN HOW TO SHOOT THE GUN, AND SHOOT IT STRAIGHT REAL QUICK! OMG!
/capslock

Sorry if I just gave anyone eye cancer ;(

-Alix

15357 said:

NOOOOO!!! Stop stealing my idea from like a month ago arg to you!!! I curse you and your family with 1,000,000 years of jihad!

I'm not in the army, nor have I had any "special Training" but I know how to use a gun.

If you don't like the games stop playing them, and stop complaining about stupid "unrealistic" things.

Some people are naturaly good with guns anyway.

In response to the "where does he keep all his weapons"-comments, I remember reading an article implying something about Gordon's HEV suit having trans-dimensional pocket space capable of storing a vast majority of items in seemingly tight space located in a different dimension.

Of course, I couldn't figure out if the author was trying to be serious.

Black Mesa hazard course + Gordon's natural giftedness + HEV suit + unique circumstances + quick save/quick load = Gordon can kill entire armies (for the G-man).

If the author was serious, he seriously need some rest!! In fact Gordon did nothing at all I did it all. I remember well, I was actually at Black Mesa.
Or maybe i'm also insane, but i clearly remember having explored and killed a bucnch of soldiers and aliens in 1998.
So if this guy pretend that Gordon was responsible for all that mess, he's telling lies!!

Heh, if I were in Gordon's place, I would have figured out how to use a gun pretty damn fast too :) and Bobcat, I remember reading that article too.. I'm not sure whether it was serious either

The fact that Gordon is just a normal guy who happens to be put in a pressure situation and survives is what gives the character his charm.

Laivasse said:
He's clearly just meant to be your average stupefyingly intelligent research scientist, pushed to the limits of self-preservation and determination to survive.
Like Raden

MarcoPollo said:
NOOOOO!!! Stop stealing my idea from like a month ago arg to you!!! I curse you and your family with 1,000,000 years of jihad!

actually, i had the idea 2 monthes ago.........

i win!
:p

and, your arogance offends me!
we will form an armed resistance and fight you to the ends of time!!!!!!!!

Heh, can someone find that crazy article? I gotta do my Hayao Miyazaki homework right now...

Uh... maybe Gordon... uh... i dunno. The Luggage (discworld reference, read it, people. Discworld = uber) ? Portable Black Hole?

Alix Mcdean said:
Well, all I'd like to think is this-
\capslock
IF I SAW SOME MONKEY FREAKY CRAP LIKE HEADCRABS FLING AT MY HEAD....

-Alix

OMG ROFLOL HAHahahahaHAHAHAahH!!!111one!!!111!

I nearly fell off my chair when I read this.

:thumbs:

I don't know why, I just found it funny.

15357 said:
actually, i had the idea 2 monthes ago.........

i win!
:p

and, your arogance offends me!
we will form an armed resistance and fight you to the ends of time!!!!!!!!

I dont remember when i posted it actually i just thought it was a while ago in one of thos OMMG G-Man = Freeman threads. :LOL:

Here, lets say you were the leader of a enslaved planet, and suddenly, the entire population rises up against you in the name of Gordon Freeman. Would you not try to discredit everything about this man that makes him greater then your average person?

Bobcat said:
In response to the "where does he keep all his weapons"-comments, I remember reading an article implying something about Gordon's HEV suit having trans-dimensional pocket space capable of storing a vast majority of items in seemingly tight space located in a different dimension.

Of course, I couldn't figure out if the author was trying to be serious.

He'd have to have a Bag of Holding or something...with all the ammo and crap he picks up. :p

Rusty100 said:
First of all, in HL1 he is a lab-rat. how is he a weapon expert as soon as resinence cascade.

Plus, how does he know how to use alien gun?
He plays computer games, obviously.

Back