Got Linux?

You could play Half-Life in OpenGL so I'm assuming they will make HL2 playable in OpenGL also. Maybe not though :(

yes opengl was the best one in hl1 i hope there put opengl 2.0 support in hl2 down the line
i remember trying to play hl1 on some of my old video card with dx and i got like 5 fps or it locked up (gg voodoo2):cheese:

Valve stated that OpenGL wasn't ready for HL2. It'll be directX only unless they have some extra programming time while part of the team is doing updates do to the theft.

Originally posted by Ahnteis
Valve stated that OpenGL wasn't ready for HL2. It'll be directX only unless they have some extra programming time while part of the team is doing updates do to the theft.

I'm not suprised considering a ton of things in HL2 are DirectX only. In a bunch of interviews they said that DirectX makes it easy to do this and that.

They'll probably release a OGL version as one of their infamous special edition game packages.

Originally posted by silent
They'll probably release a OGL version as one of their infamous special edition game packages.
When OpenGL 2.0 is stable and ready for public release, I'll assume Valve won't hesitate to make compatibility for it in a Source patch.

Originally posted by dbsynergy
It could be done with the proper permission and patience. Look how far Transgaming has gotten with running DX games in Linux. Truly amazing.
Transgaming does not do ports. The WineX project is actually a more or less hand coded Windows emulator that works with varying degress of success. Unfortunately, Transgaming is not a good open source citizen and has taken a lot from the truly open source Wine project without contributing anything back to the open source community. This is the primary reason I refuse to support Transgaming or WineX. The other reason is I would like to see more developers create native Linux builds of their software (as id and Epic have done) rather than try to stick us Linux users with a half-assed emulated version.

Originally posted by hard candy
The recent theft is a good argument for using Linux or BSD to conduct business on the net. There may be security holes in both and the programs that run on them, but the fixes are found a lot faster than when one company is in charge.
Now if Valve would port Half-life to linux they could increase their audience. Also Valve, get rid of Outlook (why they were using Outlook will be a good question for their security chief), it's always been a backdoor and always will.
A good example of "Trusted Computing" in action. Go Bill!

Trusted computing is a very recent thing and has almost no presence in MS software yet, so to imply they have failed at it proves what an loon u are.

The *only* thing that piqued my interest in HL2 has been this entire incident with the source/pre-beta leak.

The only times I had even thought about HL2 in the past were when people mentioned the fact that there would be absolutely no Linux client support. That's it. That sealed the deal. I simply will not ever buy this game without Linux client support. They don't have to package it like iD did with Q3--just make it downloadable, and I'll go ahead and buy the retail Windows package.

The only thing that has *kept* my interest now is that some people have mentioned OpenGL support is present in this pre-beta. It seems to suck, but it's there. At least this tells me that there might be some room for a Linux client in the future.

Valve: You NEED the Linux community. You wouldn't have 10% as many servers for any of your games without it. How about giving something back?

For the nay-sayers concerning the Linux desktop:

I work for a major auto parts retailer. Last year, we rolled out Linux systems to all stores and warehouses. It does many things (serial terminal controller, print spooler, router, etc.), but it is also used on the desktop. Mozilla, Kmail, and OpenOffice under KDE.

When's the last time you spoke to someone working behind the counter at an auto parts store? The ones who look at their terminal and go blank when anything even slightly out of the ordinary occurs? The ones who refuse to even USE computers, or even registers, and stick to using an old card filing system?

If these people can manage on a Linux desktop, then anyone can.

GNU/Linux is defintely a great OS, but the X Server needs some serious work. And your average user experiences far more X crashes than, say Panics. The problem with Linux is that if X goes you're pretty much buggered.

Linux is defintely rock solid, but still an infant as far as games support goes.

Anyway, for those who use Lycoris as an excuse that secure and user frendly Linux that's pretty much what it is - an excuse. God knows even Apple are smart enough to stop you using root for day to day use (after all your average lycoris user is quite likely to screw up), as opposed to Lycoris which actually forces you to use root.

In Bill's defence, you can't destroy your own box quite so easily.

To those saying OpenGL is out dated and bad compared to Direct X, consider this: Why do are all the graphics cards demos (demonstrating the very latest cool stuff the cards can do) are written with OpenGL? Its because OpenGL is extensible, while Direct X is highly structured, but not nearly as extensible. If you want a new Direct X feature, it's often easiest to wait for the next DX version. Whereas with GL, you can extend it yourself to do what _you_ want. So Valve could make even more effects with GL than DX, its just that DX already has a pretty functions of them and they don't really want to go to all the trouble of implementing them in GL. And remember, if Carmack uses it, its got to have something going for it.

Linux sucks, and if you all hate MS so much uninstall windows, hypocrites.

Originally posted by azz0r
Linux sucks, and if you all hate MS so much uninstall windows, hypocrites.

That is a very informative reply. Thanks for your input.

Originally posted by jonbob
GNU/Linux is defintely a great OS, but the X Server needs some serious work. And your average user experiences far more X crashes than, say Panics. The problem with Linux is that if X goes you're pretty much buggered.
I have to disagree, and I can only assume your comments are not based on experience. The versions of XFree86 that have come out in recent years are about as rock solid stable as you could hope for. Even KDE's robustness has improved by leaps and bounds to the point that many Linux users couldn't tell you what an XFree crash looks like, having never actually experienced one.

But even if X does go down, you still have access to the Linux console where you just type "startx" and you're back in business (or, if you're using KDE, it'll automatically restart your X session, restore your desktop, and you can continue on. But the fact is, I've never had need of this feature).

To be honest, I could count the number of system crashes I've experienced on one hand (and I'd still have five fingers left over!). I've gotten so used to the stability of Linux that I've jsut accepted that my system doesn't crash and won't crash. See, the thing that Windows folks don't understand is that you should never have to tolerate system crashes, but not only do they tolerate them, they do it with a dumb smile on their face and pat themselves on the back for being able to "use" a computer.

Considering that they are planning on porting HL2 to the future Sony and Nintendo platforms, it can't be that dependant on DirectX! Relying completely on Direct X9 would make it completely difficult to port to the game consoles. This includes the Xbox which does not have the ability to be 100% Direct X9 compatible (DirectX 9 cards are only beginning to role out on the market).

I use both every day on a regular basis and Linux became my desktop OS of choice within a few weeks. In Windows (I use XP now but there isn't a version I haven't used since 2.0, yes that's right 2.0), I got tired of some random bluescreen taking down my system (or rebooting randomly as it's set up to do by default in XP). Programs crash in Windows and most of the time either all of Windows goes with them or they take explorer with them, neither of which is very palatable to me.

Proggies do occasionally crash in Linux but I've not had one yet that crashed bad enough to take the OS with it.

In short Windows is good for games (well XP is good for games, everything before 2000 sucks ass) and that's all I use it for. Linux does everything else great. And, hell, I'll even be able to play Doom 3 on it. Works for me.

There is no technical reason why Half-Life 2 could not be ported to Linux. Valve probably won't, though, for financial and possibly political reasons.

But to be blunt, I think Valve owes the Linux community a native port. The Linux community has supported Half-Life multiplayer for years, and Valve should not piss away this opportunity to repay them. Just imagine if the Linux community took all their servers offline in protest? :eek:

Originally posted by Mountain Man
There is no technical reason why Half-Life 2 could not be ported to Linux. Valve probably won't, though, for financial and possibly political reasons.

But to be blunt, I think Valve owes the Linux community a native port. The Linux community has supported Half-Life multiplayer for years, and Valve should not piss away this opportunity to repay them. Just imagine if the Linux community took all their servers offline in protest? :eek:
Give this man 10 points! You are absolutly right. If all the HL linux community would just dissapear, the rest of the community would be devistated. Imagine, the fastest most popular servers just going *poof.* I would cry.

taking Linux servers offline? They account for 10% of the servers? So what, that would hardly impact the gaming community, besides, Windows is better.

Most servers aren't even full, there's ALWAYS boxes with 0/32 players.

Get over it, Linux isn't ready to be a steady gaming OS, it may be suitable in a networking environment, but in a gaming environment, won't be at the point Windows is at for at least 5 years.

It's the linux nerds who whine in protest when in reality they only make up 1% of the computing business revenue, they don't mean jack shit to real companies. They're nothing. Sorry.

ps: I use linux, i just know in reality that windows is a more user friendly, less complicated, and better supported OS.

having to rebuild a sound module for my soundblaster audigy 2 card pisses me off, i want it to work off the bat like it does in windows. dig?

ps: dont give me the argument 'linux is more secure', throw a firewall in windows and you'll never get hacked again, stop downloading stupid shit in kazaa and you won't get a virus. booyah.

They aren't nothing.

Personally I think that Linux is the most stable OS about (but having said that, QNX was good too), the problem is that X isn't as good as the OS underneath.

The problem is that I still prefer the Windows environment (my XP has gone at least a year without a single BSOD or random reboot, because I treat it nicely), and application support is still lacking with Linux.

Give it more time, and get a multi-billion dollar development team behind it and Linux will only get better. You get what you pay for after all.

Just goes to show you that there is a difference between someone that can use Linux and a Linux user.

Rebuilding modules is no more difficult than installing a driver under Windows.

And Kazaa isn't where most people get viruses from. It's that stupid preview pane in Outlook and Outlook express that nails most people.

And firewalls can only stop people from getting in from the outside. Once they've trojaned you because you or someone who used your machine opened or previewed something they shouldn't have your firewall instantly becomes useless.

Welcome to reality, have a nice stay.

--------------
rebuilding modules isn't tough, but it's certainly not as easy as installing a driver in windows. you've got to manually edit .conf files and point things in the right direction, whereas windows picks it up on its own.

And Kazaa isn't where most people get viruses from. It's that stupid preview pane in Outlook and Outlook express that nails most people.
-----------------
most people i know dont use outlook, they used web based mail like hotmail and yahoo (i know you can use express w/ hotmail, etc), but yet they have their shortcut to the kazaa shared folder with BRITNEY_NAKED.JPG.EXE.VBS, etc.

And firewalls can only stop people from getting in from the outside. Once they've trojaned you because you or someone who used your machine opened or previewed something they shouldn't have your firewall instantly becomes useless.
---------------
i dont know about you, but the only person who uses my computer is me.

welcome to reality, have a nice stay.

is the hl1 source code in the hl2 leaked code
i read it somewhere
looks like we could be seeing some underground linux coder putting out a "HLinux" or something

Originally posted by hunteraz
--------------
rebuilding modules isn't tough, but it's certainly not as easy as installing a driver in windows. you've got to manually edit .conf files and point things in the right direction, whereas windows picks it up on its own.

Let's see to get my Audigy 2 working in Gentoo with the CVS version of the EMU code it was: emerge emu10k1-cvs

That's all. I defy you to find a simpler install process than that even in Windows.

-----------------
most people i know dont use outlook, they used web based mail like hotmail and yahoo (i know you can use express w/ hotmail, etc), but yet they have their shortcut to the kazaa shared folder with BRITNEY_NAKED.JPG.EXE.VBS, etc.

And how many people do you know that have gotten a virus? I'm willing to bet not very many. I still use XP extensively and I haven't ever had one either, and I don't even run anti-virus software anymore. Most viruses come in through email. Worms come in through security holes.

---------------
i dont know about you, but the only person who uses my computer is me.

welcome to reality, have a nice stay.

Good for you. Some people don't have that luxury though. And the point still stands, a firewall can only protect you from the people on the other side of it. It becomes useless once someone makes it to your side, no matter how that happens. And besides that most people do not have a firewall. I'm willing to bet that few even know what one is. And if you think setting up a module in Linux is tough try getting someone to set up a firewall with rules for their IM, IRC, Battle.net, etc.

Linux is more stable and secure out of the box. Firewall or no.

Originally posted by hunteraz
Get over it, Linux isn't ready to be a steady gaming OS...
Companies like Bioware, Epic, id, and S2 Games beg to differ, just to name a few. In fact, among the largest FPS developers, Valve is the odd man out, and it's a mistake for them to ignore the burgeoning Linux market.

Originally posted by hard candy
The recent theft is a good argument for using Linux or BSD to conduct business ...

I don't know if the security holes in Outlook is any reason to port all development over to a Linux-based platform. I don't know much about either OpenGL or the DirectX 9.0 APIs, but I bet you my left lung (not really) that Microsoft's DirectX API allows Valve to do things that are not possible in other APIs, such as OpenGL. Take a look at these HL2 videos! Those eyes!

Besides, porting everything over is probably a hell lot of work. A hell lot of work means delays, and that's a bad thing! :D

And quite a few game companies develop in a Linux platform for the Windows platform! I think having a Linux HLDS server is kewl enough for me.

I for one really like Linux, it's a very stable OS. The only thing that I think is really holding it back is it's terrible lack of support for games. That's becoming more and more important as games become a bigger form of entertainment. I'm not sure if this is against the rules but I'll post it anyway. I have heard that some groups who have the illegal source code for HL2 are planning on rewriting the engine so it will run on Linux. I'm sure with all the source this would be possible, but quite alot of work (probably why Valve isn't doing it) seeing as Linux doesn't support DX9.

Porting the entire thing over to Linux is only a fraction of the story! They'll have to port it to OpenGL as well! Ouch! Those attention-mongers and their broken up source code could just as well make their own game if they know how to port the entire game over to Linux and make it work better then the real Half-Life2 will!

I have run multiple distributions of *NIX and some are more stable than others. I still think *NIX distros are 100 times more stable than Windows. I run Gentoo Linux at work and I never have to reboot...NEVER! I run FreeBSD on my server and it also never crashes. The only reason I run Windows is because I am a hard core gamer and you can't do much serious gaming in Linux.

Originally posted by Dr. Shim
Porting the entire thing over to Linux is only a fraction of the story! They'll have to port it to OpenGL as well! Ouch! Those attention-mongers and their broken up source code could just as well make their own game if they know how to port the entire game over to Linux and make it work better then the real Half-Life2 will!

There's already OpenGL in the code. It's not nearly as feature filled or robust as the Direct 3D code (the OpenGL doesn't have any shaders in it for example) but it is in the code. I think Valve was looking into making an OpenGL 2.0 renderer for HL2, thus the framework code.

<stupid question>

Has anyone contacted Valve in order to get permission to use the stolen code and make a Linux or Mac port? I have a feeling that there is going to be an underground version soon anyway. If Valve gives permision than more people would be envolved and make a better port and game. Hell! Id releases there quake code after the fact and that keeps the games alive longer!

</stupid question>

If people started using linux a lot more, hackers are going to look for holes a lot more in linux and find them.

of course, microsoft still sucks.

Carmack is a passionate coder, so it doesn't surprise me that he has more respect for the open source community than most developers.

But I seriously doubt Valve would give anybody permission to use their code to make a third party port. As you said, it's probably going to happen in one form or another anyway, but if Valve were to officially sanction such a project, it could remove certain rights they have to the code itself.

Still, Valve would be crowned king of all game developers if they embraced the open source community in such a manner.

Originally posted by DrEvil
If people started using linux a lot more, hackers are going to look for holes a lot more in linux and find them.
The thing with open source software, for every person looking to exploit a security hole, there are two or three others looking for ways to fix it. Thus, any security holes are patched before they can be exploited or are patched very shortly (often within hours) of being exploited.

That's why you don't see too many viruses or "Code Red" type programs for Linux, because they're simply not worth the trouble for a hacker to create because of their extremely short life and lack of effectiveness.

I'll ditch MS and start using Linux under two conditions:

1) Game developers start making games with native Linux support. None of this Wine crap. I ran HL1 under Red Hat with Wine and it ran like absolute crap compared to windows on the same system. We're talking 60fps avg in W2k down to 15fps avg in Linux.

2) Linux must run the games faster than Windows. I've heard from many Linux proponents that this is possible because Linux has much less overhead than Windows.

As for Valve oweing the Linux community, that's bull. Valve doesn't owe anything to anyone, least of all the Linux community.

Back