Gothic 3

I'm sure there'll be cheats, hacks, mods, and exploits to let me enjoy the game :p.

CR0M, you are aware that Oblivion pretty much has no shadows except the treetop shadows and the character shadows, right? Or am I missing something here?

of course.
my gripe is that to achieve the same shadows as oblivion ie. character + foliage, completely cripples G3.

Haha, I just knew this game would utter crap, like the previous ones.

The previous ones are 2 of the best games ever made.
even though now it looks like crap,Im sure a few patches will fix it.

That video wasn't as bad as I was led to believe. He doesn't seem to have much problem with the boar when he actually attempts to fight it, and about 2:26 in, he dominates a boar with his sword.

I never was a fan of the combat, but if there's an option for first person, I'd give it another shit.

Edit: That NPC combat was brutal, though.

Have any of you ever tried to fight a boar in real life? Well I have and let me tell you this, its pretty freakin tough. This is not a game for kiddies. This isn't that consolized oblivion crap. The enemies aren't catered to your level so little billy down the street doesn't get killed. This is a game for REAL pc gamers. :rolleyes:

Have any of you ever tried to fight a boar in real life? Well I have and let me tell you this, its pretty freakin tough. This is not a game for kiddies. This isn't that consolized oblivion crap. The enemies aren't catered to your level so little billy down the street doesn't get killed. This is a game for REAL pc gamers. :rolleyes:

Sarcasm?

Oh, I didn't realise this was a game for real pc gamers :LOL:

Yep. This game looks pretty unpolished and is definately not what I was hoping it would be. I think i will save my money. That post was pretty much a reply to the people who think this is a more "grown-up" oblivion. This might have been the wrong thread though, I think i got this thread and "Bethesda to announce new game Nov1st: Fallout3?" mixed up. At least I gave some folks a chuckle who thought I was serious :)

Bethesda are not worthy to wash my socks - dumb sh!ts, but come on, a hundred punches to a boars face is a little too much in anyones book... put that in your signatures and suck it!

Yeah, I feel games should be challenging and all and didn't like the way Oblivion was scaled...but making boars that tough to fight (when they're apparently one of the first quests in the game according to the guy that made the vid) is just silly.

Its probably just like the other two games. Its ridiculously hard at first, then hits the "perfect" difficulty mark for the last 3/4 of the game. At first you can get your ass kicked by an 8 year old kid with a stick and paper shoes, then you can take on an orc or two with relative ease (orcs being a rather difficult enemy).

I took out those very same boars last night, it's one of the 500 sub quests. The secret of combat is to get the first hit in, then keep manically slashing with a sword. Or lure one away from a mob with arrows and then hit it with a melee weapon. Just don't let them take a bite out of you, as soon as they get a hit in you're finished. It is possible to get away sometimes after you get knocked down by running like crazy, but you lose your weapon every time you hit the floor which sucks if you found / forged something good.

Bugs and lack of polish aside, i'm finding that the storyline and side quests are sucking me in much like morrowind and outcast did. The sub quests are well thought out and have a knock-on effect with your progress, unlike oblivion. The immersion is pretty awesome. You feel like the world is populated and alive, and the npc's don't seem stupid like in Ob. The AI is a little predictable in combat though but the size of the mobs balances the difficulty. Just think Guild Wars and use the same combat technique.

Oh yeah - having problems with sound now, 5.1 screws up certain effects, the mixing is poor and the volumes are just screwed. That'll learn 'em for using Doom3 sound technology. :hmph:

Core407 - the first person option is quite good for a 3rd person game, if you don't mind having to jump back into it every time you leave the inv screen and after opening chests etc. You can even look down and see yourself breathing, sawing wood, swinging a weapon etc. Just don't expect too much from the humanoid models though - I've never seen people modelled this badly.

This game takes getting used to as it doesn't play like any other, it's quirky, twitchy and awkward sometimes, but you do get used to it's faults after a while. It's growing on me, and knowing that i've only scratched the surface makes me want to play it more :)

Guys, just mod Oblivion if you don't like the scaling. Just because it wasn't included doesn't mean it spoils the game! DIY! Its still a great game, just as this will likely be in 6-12 months. :dozey:

just as this will likely be in 6-12 months. :dozey:

Quoted for mellon farming truth.

Don't you think it's a shame we have to now be beta-test gimps for every game that gets released though? I do.

Guys, just mod Oblivion if you don't like the scaling. Just because it wasn't included doesn't mean it spoils the game! DIY! Its still a great game, just as this will likely be in 6-12 months. :dozey:
I've actually just gotten myself a new PC decent enough to run Oblivion, I played through the game on the 360, what mods do you recommend for loot/enemy scaling issues in the game?:D

good insights into the game Crom ..despite your problems (our rigs are similiar) it looks like you're enjoying the game which is says something about the game ...I just hope it's in a far more playable form by the time it makes it's way to north america ..i've purchased several Aspyr games (they used to be exclusively a Mac developer) so from experience I know they're fairly competant

Ain't Aspyr simply publishing the game in NA and distributing it? Or are they making a Mac port of Gothic 3 or something?

just a few tweaks here and there to ensure it's more "friendly to american audiences" ..but the added delay will ensure that the biggest problems will be patched before the US version is released

just a few tweaks here and there to ensure it's more "friendly to american audiences" ..but the added delay will ensure that the biggest problems will be patched before the US version is released

Good news for now it seems then.

what mods do you recommend for loot/enemy scaling issues in the game?:D

The only one I would recommend is Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul, it's by far the best.

And for a neat graphical improvement straight off, download Slof's Horses if you haven't already.

Aye cap'n i'm enjoying it more and more, hopefully you're right about it being a little more stable by the time it passes newfoundland.

There's no time to post in this thread, Crom!

I plan to pick his game up in a few months, get beta testing!

just a few tweaks here and there to ensure it's more "friendly to american audiences"
No gameplay tweaks, though, just superficial alterations, like the intro has been made so that it explains things more clearly (narration, I believe) and the game credits are of course slightly different. So... gameplay-wise, the US & Euro versions are exactly the same.

ok this is as far as I can go with gothic 3. The performance is just waaaay too slow to be playable anymore, after managing to get onto the official forums for a few minutes before they died again I saw that this is a common problem, many many people even with top spec machines are getting the same thing, but nothing can be pinned down as the cause. All posts by people with genuine grievances are locked, deleted or flamed to hell by over zealous childs, which is kinda like the weeks following the release of HL2 when there were 2 even camps of 'I've got Stutter' and 'But it works for me, so tough shit bud' and the almost naziist clamp down on any negative feedback. :borg:

Pluto 13 needs to acknowledge that there are issues here and Gothic 3 needs serious sorting out, until that happens it's going on my shelf - guess i'll just have to do some work instead :rolleyes: (at least until Dark Messiah, anyway)

Good luck, the colonies...

ah that sucks ..well at least I hadnt ordered my copy from a UK retailer ..I think I'll wait for the US release

...and then give it a good coupla months...

I just started playing today. So far it seems exactly like Gothic 2, with a new story and better graphics.

So I think it really depends on how much you liked the last 2 games. They were some of my favorite games ever, and I can see this one being no different. Loving it so far.

update -

Ridiculously long load times / regular stuttering pauses:

The G3 community has discovered that the cause of this is the DVD copy protection, which although not as nasty as Starforce, is quite similar. There is already a no-CD crack available on torrents which apparently fixes the problem. I may try this sometime over the weekend.*

Behind-the-scenes loading freezes:

It's looking more and more likely that the cause of all the stuttering (even on PC's with 2gb + is due to a fault in the ini where a default memory value has been set waaaay too low. From what i've read so far, upping this value increases the amount of memory the game uses and drastically cuts down on the stutter to the point of being tolerable.

*Disclaimer - I don't personally condone downloads that can be used for piracy purposes. But neither will I accept software that doesn't work as it's supposed to after I pay for it.

Back