Grah - RAM problems

Reaction score
This is my parent's computer - they ask me to stick a 256mb stick of Kingston ValueRAM in their comp. So out goes the PC133 RAM, and in goes the DDR - the motherboard has both S and DDR slots - however, only RAM types that are PC133 or PC2100 compatable are supported (the manual tells me this AFTERWARDS :| ) now - it's throwing a lonnnnng BIOS beep - Memory failure. It's a PhoenixAward BIOS (iirc - I can't remember the version) I have tried:

Clear CMOS - about 5 times
Setting FSB 100/200mHz
Setting FSB 133/233mHz (never know :p )
Tried the RAM in both DDR slots

It says that if you are experiencing problems with the RAM to set the SDRAM clock at 100mHz. I don't know how to do this outside of BIOS.

Anybody got any help?

The stick on the RAM says KVR333X64C251256 - if that helps

The motherboard is a Jetway V266B Socket A

Anyone?

Badger, you have more problems with computers than me!

Are you sure the ram isn't b0rked?

The manual vomitted this at me:

"For the SDRAM CLOCK is set at 133mHz use only PC2100-compliant DDR Modules or PC133 compliant SDRAM modules. When this motherboard operates at 122mHz most systems will not even boot if non-compliant modules are used becuase of the strict timing issues, if your DRAM modules are not PC133/PC2100 - compliant, set the SDRAM clcok to 100mHz to ensure system stability"

The RAM is fine, I'm sure of it. And I personally don't have problems.. my own machine was built perfectly first time - my spinky P4 - it's all good.

Sounds like you could go into your Bios and set the speed of your ram to "2100" if it is not.

are there any jumper settings on that motherboard?

I would return the memory and get the kind that was previously installed. I've had to do this once before.

Washuu said:
Sounds like you could go into your Bios and set the speed of your ram to "2100" if it is not.
I can't get into the BIOS - and there are no RAM related jumper settings on the motherboard.

Back