Graphic Bugs with X800 XT

A

Argonaut

Hey guys,

i was wondering if there was someone experiencing the same graphic bugs as me, or if someone has a solution to this. Heres my system:

AMD XP 3000 64Bit
1Gig Ram (DDR3 400 Mhz)
Radeon X800 XT

however, im using catalyst 4.10 now, ive been using .12beta and .11, the errors were worse with it... this is what im experiencing now throughout the game (it does only happen in BF:V too, not in any other game): see attachments

any ideas? please help me :( this REALLy takes away the fun of gaming HL2....

Attachments

• bug1.jpg
    bug1.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 310
  • bug2.jpg
    bug2.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 256
  • bug3.jpg
    bug3.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 260
hi i have the same problem but it's alot worse on mine you get 1 or 2 of the lines as i call them i get them all over the screen until it gets to the point you cant see anything i have a nvidia Gforce fx 5200

i emailed ATI and valve tech support about it, but just got automated replies.

guess, those guys are too busy to answer such unimportant emails then.

i did a ram check, they are ok

so i guess the last thing i can try is to wait for better drivers OR check if the card is defect - looks like a prob with the vertex shaders to me. some of those textures seem to point to infinity

sorry guys if im pushing this again on top, but i really need to know if theres anyone with a proper solution to this issue.

i have now tried catalyst 4.9, its worse with it too. im now back to 4.10, its kind of playable now...

im still wondering if my card may be defect. im trying to "downclock" my card - if its works then, the problem is the card.

would be easier if someone pops up, saying "hey i got the same problem, and all i did was [insert help here] and it works fine now!" ... ;)

what would help too, if someone who uses a x800 xt replies, telling me that it works on his system. i would then have to know, which drivers youre using and what your system specs are... that would probably help a lot!

Well I have a Gecube X800 pro that I have modded to a X800XT PE with 16 pipes fully working at XT PE speeds.

I do not see any of the artifacts you have at all. The game runs perfectly for me.

I am using Catalyst 4.11 drivers.

Other machine specs: Xp2500@3200, Abit NF7-S, 1GB PC3200.

My opinion.....card is either defective or overheating.

What's the cooling like in your case?

Artifacts like that are almost always caused by the graphics core, rather than the memory.

Try to lower the core speed a fraction and see what happens.

Also, run the troll test in 3dmark. It's well known to show these artifacts with an overclocked core.

thanks for your reply!

the cooling should be really good, the card has enough space and im using a second cooler for blowing air on the space below the card. i also use an enermax for powering my system, which is pretty good for cooling the system too. ive monitored the cpu and gpu temperatures and both are normal (cpu comes to 40°-50°, gpu comes to 70° and 75° at most during play, which should be fine)

so i guess it should really be a defective card then.

i will try the downclocking of the core today...

hey guys
im having the same problem except 100 times worse. Im usind Connect3d x700 and it worked on hl2 sweet for about 3 hours then my screen got red checker board on it and i got those random spikes but alllllll over the place and all the character models are jagged and full of spikes and crap. Whats wrong????

@Argonaut: Had the same problem with flickering and "colorful" textures. Known problem with AMD-CPUs, Ati-Gfxboards and Catalyst 4.12ß. Only way to minimize it was to reduce texture quality to medium (which sucked) and no AA.

I'm now using DNA-Driver based on Catalyst 4.11, which features a HL2-Bugfix and now I'm able to play with full quality.

@Atemer: Either cooling or bad RAM, I presume.

Cheers,
Kashban

thx guys, i found out that my card is indeed defect. i used ati tool to run an artifact scan and did not have to wait long for the first error to appear. about 0 secs. i guess thats an indication for my hardware being defect.

the ram seem to be ok, checked it with memtest 86...

thx for the reply, as soon as i get my replacement ill try those DNA drivers out..

@Kashban: i think its a shame for valve that ati pumped so much money into them, and still couldnt get their game run fine on ati cards ... but thats just me.

Rozinator, get ATI tool and check that card out. Seems like it's a defective one mate. Run the artifact scanner and keep an eye on temps.

I know loads of people who have HL2 on A64 systems with X800'x and none of them have any of those artifact problems, no matter what driver revision.

As for temperatures of these X800 cards, mine currently runs at 39c idle and 64c full load, but I did install an ATI silencer 4 on it from Arctic Cooling. Made a full 10c difference to temps.

Atemer said:
X700 PCI Express.....wtf is going on here.....

Looks like a defective card mate. Run the artifact tester in ATI tools and see what happens.

Digger/Kashban - All the DirectX 9 tests work fine. I can run other games such as RvS, BFV, and AAO at cranked up graphic settings with no problems. And...if you had a chance to read the description of my problem from the link I posted (www.roznet.net/hl2/default.htm), this problem is there with an NVIDIA and ATI card. I bought the X800 thinking my FX5700 was going bad. I can't believe the two cards would be defective at the exact same point in the game with two different architectures and drivers. I don't think anything is wrong with either video card. At this point, I am thinking the problem is with the texture maps for Ravensholm. I haven't seen anything like this up to this point in the game, and I know the game is using the same features to render the graphics in those earlier levels. I am going to do a full reinstall tonight and see if it goes away. Thanks for your help though. Any other ideas? pls keep 'em coming. thx - ROZ

Here is what to do:

1. Uninstall the ATI drivers, remove them all... go to C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\Unistall (or something similar, I'm at work) and run the uninstall application there. Download the new 4.12 beta's. Restart your computer, install the new drivers, restart again.

2. Go to C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps then copy all those files ending in .GCF to another folder outside of this Valve folder, try something like C:\Steambackup Once they've been copied Uninstall Steam through the Add\Remove programs in Windows. Restart the computer.

3. Go to Start > Run > Type regedit > Click on the My Computer you see listed there > Go to Edit > Find and type Valve, see if it finds anything, if it does deleted it repeat this using the word Steam.

4. Go to www.steampowered.com and download the latest installer, its been updated recently!

5. Install Steam put in your User name and password, let it update.

6. Close Steam

7. Copy back the files you backed up in C:\SteamBackup back into your SteamApps folder. Open Steam again, go to http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=news&id=351 and click the link to Validate Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike Source. If you run into any problems close Steam and delete all your GCF files. Then run it again and right click on your games to Install them, this will REDOWNLOAD the GCF files.

Let me know if this works, its important not to run any of the games until you've verified the GCF files, or redownload them if it does find issues.

*It is VERY important to uninstall the ATI drivers and restart the computer when you are supposed to. Do not download any drivers Windows XP suggests, tell it to "Do not search Windows Update this time". Also, make sure you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard and the latest chipset drivers... do you have a VIA chipset? If so go to www.viaarena.com and download the latest Hyperion 4in1 drivers and run those. Also, run the drivers without the Catylist Control Center, just use the normal control panel... uninstall .NET if you don't use it for any other applications, it causes problems with my ATI drivers.

Also, My system so you can compare:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Asus K8V SE Deluxe Motherboard
ATI Radeon 9800XT
Soundblaster Audigy 2
1GB DDR400 2x512MB
160GB Western Digital
80GB Western Digital
Windows XP Home (Clean install)
Service Pack 2
ATI 4.12 beta drivers
Direct X 9.0c (Comes with SP2)

Those symptons usually indicate, either an overheating card, overclocked to high or just plain old defective.

well i think it might be the heating problem but i have 6 fans in my computer...... And i think thats not it then. However i think it might be clocked too high....i remember when i used to clock my 9600 too high it would do the same thing this card is doing. However i havent clocked this card... Is there a program out there that i can lower my clocking times on my card?? thanks

Yep, as Atemer said, overclocked too much.

Or maybe its just the drivers are shit, go back to 4.7 works on mine.

Hey give this a try
Go to www.omegadrivers.net
choose your cards manufacturer
choose the OS you have
then pick the latest drivers
Omega drivers are the one reason my video card doesnt bomb out during games so i believe it may fix your problems also
**EDIT** Once you have gotten to the list of drivers do not worry about what kind of video card you have, the drivers work for all of that manufacturers cards

Update: After trying about five different ATI drivers (incl the Omegas), I settled with the 4.12 Beta drivers. I still don't think there was anything wrong with my drivers. I did run the steam validation check on HL2/CSS. Altough I didn't see any issues, the problems on Ravensholm went away. Thanks to all - esp Frost - for helping me out. I hope it stays stable from here on. Looking forward to the rest of the game!

Back