Graphics bug gives Mr. Freemon Xray vision! (and it sucks)

P

panzerbjorn

I tried to post before but got an error. This may appear twice. Sorry if it does.

Here's the problem:

When I'm playing in the indoor or tunnel sections of the game and I turn on the flashlight the screen starts to flicker horribly and I can see some of the buildings and the cityscape "outside".
It's like Freemon suddenly gets crappy xray vision and can see through the walls or concrete into the outside part of the game. wtf!

I can't seem to get a screen shot. Maybe thats a clue.

My specs:

1 Gigahertz processor
256 megs RAM
Nvidia Geforce2 vid card
Soundblaster Live! audio (no sound problems though)
Win XP Home edition (service pack 1)
I also use an LG 19" flatscreen (lcd) monitor. I've had absolutely no probs with this screen on any other vids or applications. It's great. Maybe it has something to do with it.
Although with all the other crazy problems people have with graphics rendering and performance with systems way beyond mine I have to wonder.....

If anyone can help I'd be very happy!

tell the truth mate, isnt your specs below average? poor graphics card wont help u there either, maybe think of buying a whole new machine...

should have stuck with the TFT montior and spent the £300 you did on the LCD to get yourself a new system.

What drivers are you using for your graphics card? It is not an issue with the screen.

-=DarKnight=- said:
tell the truth mate, isnt your specs below average? poor graphics card wont help u there either, maybe think of buying a whole new machine...

Yeah I've got an older machine. I don't think that's necessarily the problem. People with top of the line systems are having worse trouble than I mate.

I've had absolutely no problem with any other video game or ap on my admittedly older system.

I do plan on buying a new machine as soon as I can though....

nutcrackr said:
What drivers are you using for your graphics card? It is not an issue with the screen.

I don't know what this number stands for exactly but per the Steam website I downloaded the latest nvidia Beta Driver update. The number associated with it is 67.02 on the icon of the downloaded file.

From dxdiag:

main driver: nv4_disp.dll
Version: 6.14.0010.6702 (english)
Date 11/15/2004
whql logo'd: no
mini vdd: nv4_mini.sys
VDD: n/a
DDI version: 9 (or higher)

Hope this gives you the needed info.

Splinter16 said:
should have stuck with the TFT montior and spent the £300 you did on the LCD to get yourself a new system.

Unfortunately I didn't know this kinda game was coming when I got the screen but I had a severe space issue and I just couldn't manage the frickin monitor as big as a tv.

Saying that I've actually had a great experience with my monitor. No ghosting, no eye strain, no glare, works on every game and ap so far (assuming it's not the problem for HL2).

the latest drivers do not work with your card. consider upgrading, I wouldn't bother with half-life 2 if I had your system. I have a geforce 2, but i'm already going to move up to a 6800. (which I mention all the time ) :cheers:

This problem has been reported before, and only by those who play the cracked version...

does it work on CS:S ?

/free wallhack on flashlight enabled servers

Dasparov said:
...do you have the cracked version!?

He is running a 1GHz PC and a Geforce 2 as his primary machine. He is not a gamer he is completely out of date. You think he shelled out money for a game? Not likely.

Edge said:
He is running a 1GHz PC and a Geforce 2 as his primary machine. He is not a gamer he is completely out of date. You think he shelled out money for a game? Not likely.

Ok, be nice now... Isn't it possible that he can only afford an older machine because he PAYS for all of his games, and does not download any. This is at least part of the reason that I cannot afford a new videocard yet (it is the only thing lagging my system at this point). Just cause some of us don't have enough money to constantly keep up to date does not mean we are willing to steal from those who entertain us.

panzerbjorn said:
I tried to post before but got an error. This may appear twice. Sorry if it does.

Here's the problem:

When I'm playing in the indoor or tunnel sections of the game and I turn on the flashlight the screen starts to flicker horribly and I can see some of the buildings and the cityscape "outside".
It's like Freemon suddenly gets crappy xray vision and can see through the walls or concrete into the outside part of the game. wtf!

I can't seem to get a screen shot. Maybe thats a clue.

My specs:

1 Gigahertz processor
256 megs RAM
Nvidia Geforce2 vid card
Soundblaster Live! audio (no sound problems though)
Win XP Home edition (service pack 1)
I also use an LG 19" flatscreen (lcd) monitor. I've had absolutely no probs with this screen on any other vids or applications. It's great. Maybe it has something to do with it.
Although with all the other crazy problems people have with graphics rendering and performance with systems way beyond mine I have to wonder.....

If anyone can help I'd be very happy!
go home and get anew comp at least 512MB of RAM 2.8 Ghz and like a RAD 9600 128MB

yep

my roommate has the same exact problem. he had even prepurchased through silver pack through steam. cs source runs great for him, but he has the same problem with the intense flashing when he turns on the flashlight. he also has a geforce 2 mx 440, but i played on my parents computer with the same graphics card and it was fine. this is something valve should probably work out. (i know my roommate is very frustrated having spent 60$ on a game he can't play without getting a seizure).

Bwierd said:
my roommate has the same exact problem. he had even prepurchased through silver pack through steam. cs source runs great for him, but he has the same problem with the intense flashing when he turns on the flashlight. he also has a geforce 2 mx 440, but i played on my parents computer with the same graphics card and it was fine. this is something valve should probably work out. (i know my roommate is very frustrated having spent 60$ on a game he can't play without getting a seizure).

Thanks be praised! You posted something that might actually help out. Kudos. Seriously.
I've never seen so many crabby f**king gamers posting for no good reason.
If your not gonna help, don't say anything.
Read all the other people with top notch systems and the problems they're having and then read mine. Do you notice it doesn't really seem to matter what set up you have? Do you? And don't post anything about "well, your system is just too crappy" without addressing this point alright?
Tell me exactly why I should think its my components that are causing the problems when people with brand new machines are reporting similar or worse glitches. That might actually HELP me. That's what this forum is for, right? It's just maybe possible there are some serious flaws in the game.
My game works just fine except for this wierd glitch. I don't get any sound problems or performance slowdowns except where many other's have reported them.

I'm still working on it. Any help would still be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to any good souls willing to chime in some advice

Dasparov said:
...do you have the cracked version!?

No cracked version. I payed $60 damn dollars like every other poor soul having trouble with this mess.

silverstealth89 said:
go home and get anew comp at least 512MB of RAM 2.8 Ghz and like a RAD 9600 128MB
Give the guy a break! I mean come on, if a new computer is so easy to come by, why don't you buy him one, and mail it to him. I know he is below spec, but the problem does not sound related to his low specs, but possibly something in the engine. What I would suggest is to try several different drivers for your card (use the current aaccepted ones first, and then try the beta's (for ati's, these are the 4.12 drivers I believe). If you are ALREADY using the beta drivers (which I think you are), then dump them, and go back to the most current accepted ones. If this does not work, try deleting ALL steam and VALVe content from your machine, and redownload from scratch (this was the only way to fix my texture problem I had upon release, and the file validator does not always catch everything). Good Luck.

P.s. if you really get x-ray vision, how about using it on Alyx, and get us some good screenshots! ;)

MajorPayne said:
Give the guy a break! I mean come on, if a new computer is so easy to come by, why don't you buy him one, and mail it to him. I know he is below spec, but the problem does not sound related to his low specs, but possibly something in the engine. What I would suggest is to try several different drivers for your card (use the current aaccepted ones first, and then try the beta's (for ati's, these are the 4.12 drivers I believe). If you are ALREADY using the beta drivers (which I think you are), then dump them, and go back to the most current accepted ones. If this does not work, try deleting ALL steam and VALVe content from your machine, and redownload from scratch (this was the only way to fix my texture problem I had upon release, and the file validator does not always catch everything). Good Luck.

P.s. if you really get x-ray vision, how about using it on Alyx, and get us some good screenshots! ;)

Thanks for the help. I'm 90% sure it's not my machine. Both HL2 and CS work very good (especially CS) except for when I use the damn flashlight! On both games. Once I do that then I get the bug.
I'll try the driver path but I'm not holding my breath.
As far as a reinstall. I bought mine at a store and I've already reinstalled it once. The Steam garbage wasn't removed however. Do you think I need to get everything out? If so, some tips on getting the steam content deleted would be great.

As for the machine thing, this is a perfect example for those of us/you that think there's a series of flaws in the game architecture and not necessarily user end equipment deficencies. If I can fix my problem and it works as good as it can then this will be proof positive you don't need to waste your time getting yet another video card, processor, more RAM, etc. for a f**king video game!
Help me with this and it will save a lot of people from wasting there time (and money?) thinking its their computer when it is in fact some faulty programing or whatnot.

Please.

panzerbjorn said:
The Steam garbage wasn't removed however. Do you think I need to get everything out? If so, some tips on getting the steam content deleted would be great.

Here is what I did to remove my "issues" that I got at launch, caused by a corrupt download of some steam content.

Log out of Steam completely. Go to add/remove programs in the control panel, and uninstall steam itself. Then go into C:\Program Files, and delete the entire Valve Folder. Then open the registry editor (go to start, run, and type regedit). Next, backup your registry -- go to file, export registry, make sure that ALL and not Selected Branch is selected, then give it a filename, and save it somewhere you will remember.

Next, go to HKEY_Local_Machine\Software and delete any Valve folder from here (just right click, and pick delete). Next, go to HKEY_Current_User\Software and delete any Valve folder from here as well. Finally, close the registry editor, reboot your machine, then reinstall steam and HL2 -- hopefully this should clear up your problem.

Additionally, here is another tip that may help. Sometimes parts and settings from old video drivers do not get totally removed, and this can cause corruption, etc. To ensure you have a clean driver install, uninstall your current video driver, and then run Driver Cleaner (you can get it from MajorGeeks free at http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3214.html). Follow the directions to remove any bits of old drivers, and then reinstall the drivers of your choice.

Hopefully one of these 2 things will get you working. Also, I do not have retail (I bought off steam), but is it possible for you to NOT install from the CD, but instead download the ENTIRE game from steam? I only ask on the offchance that some file on the CD is junk, in which case the issue could return.

Good Luck.

MajorPayne said:
Here is what I did to remove my "issues" that I got at launch, caused by a corrupt download of some steam content.

Log out of Steam completely. Go to add/remove programs in the control panel, and uninstall steam itself. Then go into C:\Program Files, and delete the entire Valve Folder. Then open the registry editor (go to start, run, and type regedit). Next, backup your registry -- go to file, export registry, make sure that ALL and not Selected Branch is selected, then give it a filename, and save it somewhere you will remember.

Next, go to HKEY_Local_Machine\Software and delete any Valve folder from here (just right click, and pick delete). Next, go to HKEY_Current_User\Software and delete any Valve folder from here as well. Finally, close the registry editor, reboot your machine, then reinstall steam and HL2 -- hopefully this should clear up your problem.

Additionally, here is another tip that may help. Sometimes parts and settings from old video drivers do not get totally removed, and this can cause corruption, etc. To ensure you have a clean driver install, uninstall your current video driver, and then run Driver Cleaner (you can get it from MajorGeeks free at http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3214.html). Follow the directions to remove any bits of old drivers, and then reinstall the drivers of your choice.

Hopefully one of these 2 things will get you working. Also, I do not have retail (I bought off steam), but is it possible for you to NOT install from the CD, but instead download the ENTIRE game from steam? I only ask on the offchance that some file on the CD is junk, in which case the issue could return.

Good Luck.

Thank you sir, or madame. Whatever the case may be.
I'll try the driver path first. Sounds a lot less dangerous. Then I may go for messing with my registry.

Your computer should be experiencing more problems than just xray vision. 256mb of RAM is the minimum requirement for windows alone. You don't even meet the minimum requirements for the game. I'm surprised your computer hasn't exploded yet.

You know, if you did in fact pay for this game, you wasted your money. You could get a brand new computer for $400, so if you can afford a brand new game then you can afford a brand new computer. Save your money or ask santa.

you people with the uber-1337 computers dont seem to be getting that HL2 is a very well optimized game, i have a mobile radeon 9000 with 32meg of RAM although more ram and processor then the computer in question and HL2 runs well at Dx 8.1 1024x768 i mean comeon, my computer can't even break 5000 in 3DMark01 (yes, 01, not 03 or 05) and yet HL2 runs beutifully on it. If i can run the game on a cheap laptop in Dx8.1 then even the crappy POS computer imaginable should be able to play it in Dx7 which at least for me doubles my FPS...

if changing drivers do not work, you will have to wait until valve releases a patch, but I doubt they would release a patch to help people with 4 year old videocards

they optimized the game to work on 4yr old cards so i dont see why they wouldn't support people with them, i mean most people dont have anywhere near the level of hardware that people in this forum do, and VALVE wants to sell their game to as many people as they can so they might as well spend their time to fix bugs like this. I mean valve is gonna make alot more money from people with crappy cards then they are from people with expensive cards.

BrownTown said:
they optimized the game to work on 4yr old cards so i dont see why they wouldn't support people with them, i mean most people dont have anywhere near the level of hardware that people in this forum do, and VALVE wants to sell their game to as many people as they can so they might as well spend their time to fix bugs like this. I mean valve is gonna make alot more money from people with crappy cards then they are from people with expensive cards.

Typical. Maybe this is part of the problem. Valve trying to make a game that looks kick ass on an up to date system but works fine on older systems. I don't know jack about game development but I could imagine these two goals could be at odds, no?

No more lectures about getting a new machine! I just got done playing HL2DM, CS, and HL2 and it works fine except for that goofy flashlight bug. I'm telling ya, better equipment might solve that prob. but I doubt it. Maybe I upgrade my vid card until I can afford a proper new computer and see what happens.

StainlessJ-FPGA said:
Your computer should be experiencing more problems than just xray vision. 256mb of RAM is the minimum requirement for windows alone. You don't even meet the minimum requirements for the game. I'm surprised your computer hasn't exploded yet.

You know, if you did in fact pay for this game, you wasted your money. You could get a brand new computer for $400, so if you can afford a brand new game then you can afford a brand new computer. Save your money or ask santa.

I just run a RAM optimizer before I play sometimes and i've killed a whole bunch of useless XP backgroun processes. Cut it down to the bare bones and it's pretty good.
I do want to get a new tower though. I mean REAL nice so I need to save some pennies. Until then I hope I can get this fixed.

Back