Graphics Card for HL2 - Poll - NEW!

ATI or nVidia?

• ATI 256MB X800 Pro

Votes: 201 68.4%
  • nVidia GeForce 256MB 6800 GT

Votes: 93 31.6%

• Total voters
jet jaguar said:
I recently bought a BFG 6800GT and it only has one power connection. It was also on sale for $380.

Where did you find the card for that price? Newegg has it at like $470...

PainLord said:
x800 Pro - 12 Pipelines - Pixel shader model 2.0 - 475MHz GPU Clock Speed - 256MB 900MHz GDDR3
6800GT - 16 pipelines - Pixel Shader model 3.0 - 350MHz GPU clock speed - 256MB 1000MHz high speed DDR3

Pixel shader versions. Oh how i love this topic. PS2.0 supports shader programs that are a maximum of 512 instructions long. PS3.0 however, supports more than 65,000 instructions. But umm....currently games are using a max of 50 instructions, so does this really matter? No. Oh and, did I forget to mention that PS2.0+ supports infinate instructions?

FragBait0 said:
Yeah you sure as hell didn't understand me.

Completly misleading and incorrect explanation.
Clear it up some?

I'm sorry, but I am 100 percent correct. I have all my facts strait, if you would like to correct me on something, how about u post it and we can discuss it? But right now I stick with EVERYTHING that i posted. for those of you who missed it, here is the single post: http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showpost.php?p=829894&postcount=37

I find it rediculous that you say I'm wrong when you can't even correct me. People, I'm right, you....are wrong. Everyone has agreed with me except you (FragBait0). Why? I don't know.

Homer said:
Ati really pulled a fast one with the 9700 and 9800, but with the new line nvidia came back and released the sort of product we expect from them. And, as a rule, when in doubt nvidia is always better just because they have better driver support.

Thats a myth from like, the 7000 series of ATI cards man.

having used BOTH Nvidia and ATI, I say the ATI drivers blow NVidias out of the water, in both image quality and proformance gains.

Homer said:
Ati really pulled a fast one with the 9700 and 9800, but with the new line nvidia came back and released the sort of product we expect from them. And, as a rule, when in doubt nvidia is always better just because they have better driver support.

EXACTLY! This guy knows what he's talking about. :thumbs: :D Exactly what I think.

I agree the 400.00 price range the 6800GT is the one to pick, in the 500.00 price range I would have to go with the X800XT. I have to admit it was nice going back to Nvidia, just load the driver and play and not have to install all the diff ATI drivers to find one the game liked.

God[TM] said:
Where did you find the card for that price? Newegg has it at like $470...

Got it at Fry's Electronics a couple of weeks ago. Are you sure you're not getting it confused with the 6800 Ultra?

cadaveca said:
x800 pro is faster, using the ATI 8.07 beta driver. It finally allows cards taht have 256mb or ram to actually use it.

That is only when it comes to 3dmark05, as far as i can see, no other game or benchmark has seen such drastic increases in performance.

yay!

Anyways, anyone who says that ATI drivers suck is umm.....out of the fast lane. They fixed it with the debute of the 9700 (i think) with the catalyst drivers. They release a new one every month, although they are kind of out of it this time, b/c 4.10 is not out yet!!!!

True. Too true.

Although some parts of the driver are not quite good as NVIDIA - but then I don't see as many IQ hacks in ATI's drivers. That's why my purchase was an ATI one - the image quality. Plus it tends to work better under AA and AF - which I don't often turn off.

Although I have a 9500 Pro not a current generation card :) But it still works great.

Back